A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,609
Currently Running With Scissors:
637 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: crocheting bath towels?  (Read 1147 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craftymomof2banks

Follow me on facebook! Link is below

View Profile WWW
« on: November 05, 2007 08:28:51 PM »

Does anyone know if it would be a good idea to crochet a full size bath towel? I don't mean crochet the edges around a terry bath towel. I mean do the whole thing crocheted. I have made hand towels and wash clothes, and I love them. I was thinking about doing a bath towel set for a xmas gift, but wanted feedback on it before I started it. Thanks so much
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MnkyMama
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007 08:33:47 PM »

very interesting!  hhhmmm.........
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RebelTrendsetter
You Can't Always Judge a Yarn by it's Roving.

Part time Domestic Goddess, full time Art Geek

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007 08:50:14 PM »

Well as long as you use a nice cotton yarn, it should be great! While it wont be as plush as terry cloth, it's absorbant and has a nice texture that isnt scratchy but definitely feels like its doing something lol I've made some cotton washed cloths and i love the way they feel on my face. I've been thinking of making a cotton towel for my dog so he has his own towel for his baths. My only concern is it might take awhile to work up if you're doing a full sized towel for an adult. Oh and may i suggest this edging http://hometown.aol.com/lffunt/blankbind.htm it would probably work really well binding the piece so it doesnt unravel over time. Good luck! post pictures if you do this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Formerly Known As: DesignVigilante
Pintrest! -- Etsy Shop --
leppardess

my cats walk all over me...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007 10:39:42 PM »

It sounds like a nice idea but the one thing that I was thinking about is the weight.... a full sized towel in cotton yarn would tend to be quite heavy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftymomof2banks

Follow me on facebook! Link is below

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007 03:40:25 AM »

Thank you for your answers.

Yea weight was a concern as well. I know a friend he always crochets with 2 or 3 strings at a time and his blankets are super heavy. I was going to use 2 strings as well on the towels. I am hoping it will work...If it looks like it's going to be to heavy for a towel. I guess I could still turn it into a blanket somehow. I will definitely post pics.

Thanks for the binding link!!! I like that idea.

You all rock!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

samistrange
Being surly is my superpower.

Yeah yeah, blah-dey blah blah

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007 05:29:40 AM »

What if you made a set of hand towels and a bath rug instead?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://gaugebeforebeauty.blogster.com/

Of course tattoos hurt...they're applied with needles, not kitten whiskers and bunny tails.
RebelTrendsetter
You Can't Always Judge a Yarn by it's Roving.

Part time Domestic Goddess, full time Art Geek

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007 11:17:42 AM »

Thank you for your answers.

Yea weight was a concern as well. I know a friend he always crochets with 2 or 3 strings at a time and his blankets are super heavy. I was going to use 2 strings as well on the towels. I am hoping it will work...If it looks like it's going to be to heavy for a towel. I guess I could still turn it into a blanket somehow. I will definitely post pics.

Thanks for the binding link!!! I like that idea.

You all rock!

I don't think you'd need to do two strings at a time, cotton is very absorbant as it is and if you used a fairly closed stitch it should still work pretty well. I didn't think about the weight issue, because I thought about it in the sense that I made a tank using peaches n cream cotton yarn and while it is heavier than most other yarns, it is not too heavy to wear. But I only used one string, not two. So my suggestion is, if you do two strings and it gets too heavy, try it with just one. And if you're giving it to a female, you could also make a turban towel (i dont know if you've heard of it, but there's a towel called "turbie twist", it's basically a cone shaped towel that you can easily wrap your hair in) and I've found by using those turban type towels that I'm not as sopping wet when i get out of the shower because i dont have my hair dripping on my body. So you could make a fairly thin/small towel and it would work fine. Or like samistrange suggested, you can make hand towels and a rug, but i still like the idea of a full fledged towel.

Btw im glad you liked the binding suggestion. Makes me feel useful Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Formerly Known As: DesignVigilante
Pintrest! -- Etsy Shop --
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Deadlines to Achieve Writing Goals
Adapting Standup Comedy Writing to Screenwriting
An Excerpt from A Farewell to Arms By Ernest Hemingway
How to Get a Literary Agent
Marjorie Celona Discusses Her Novel Y
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...