A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 301,506
Currently Running With Scissors:
340 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Do you prewash your fabrics?  (Read 1955 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ana_Ng

There is more to life than increasing its speed.

View Profile
« on: November 05, 2007 06:23:29 PM »

I have been a sewer for over 25 years and I have always prewashed my fabrics. It's what my mom taught me and it's what I've always done. 

I just got the pattern "Turning Twenty" and I am dying to try it out.  However, I'm a bit freaked out that she tells you not to prewash your fat quarters first.  I can't bring myself to purchase my fabrics because I'm all hung up on whether to prewash or not.  I will not be purchasing all of the same brand of fabric because I tend to get my fabric from various sources.  From what I've read, this greatly affects the shrinkage factor. 

So my question is, has anyone experience with the "Turning Twenty" pattern, or more to the point, do you prewash your fabrics before you piece your quilt tops?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rainylakechick
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007 07:24:17 PM »

I'm not familiar with that quilt, but I would pre-wash my fabrics, since its going to bother you.  I usually pre-wash and press, because I'd rather be safe than sorry!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

anaximander
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007 02:29:22 AM »

Does she explain *why* not to prewash?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissDisney
will you take me to gang practice? yis?

You will never guess

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007 03:09:12 AM »

personally, i take a pattern (any kinda pattern, from sewing to quilting to ANYTHING) and make it my OWN....

prewash, iron, and enjoy my dear..there is NOTHING that can go wrong from prewashing, at least nothing logical....

i prewash everything *most* of the time because i genuinely enjoy washing fabric, i LOVE the way it feels, i do it all by hand...and i will always choose to do it when i feel its right (i have only ever not prewashed ONCE to date since i started quilting seriously about 2 years ago, and thats for my most serious current project, and thats because the backing is dry clean only, so there wouldnt be any bleeding anyway)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i think im back....9 months almost to the day but i miss art, and i missed you guys!
Eowynt

Not all who wander are lost

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007 07:53:09 AM »

I pre-wash all my cut yardage, but I do not always pre-wash my charm packs and jelly rolls - it depends on the colors.  Some colors bleed, and I don't want to ruin a quilt because of it. 

Some of the ladies at a local fabric shop no longer pre-wash their fabric because they like the way unwashed fabric handles, and they like the old-fashioned look you get when you wash the quilt after it is done. The author of Turning Twenty might be from the same mindset.  Oh, I am familiar with the pattern - I've some beautiful Turning Twenty quilts at the fabric store, but I have never made one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One is less than three.
Ana_Ng

There is more to life than increasing its speed.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007 08:47:23 AM »

Some of the ladies at a local fabric shop no longer pre-wash their fabric because they like the way unwashed fabric handles, and they like the old-fashioned look you get when you wash the quilt after it is done. The author of Turning Twenty might be from the same mindset. 

Yes, this is her thought exactly.  To get that crinkled, old-fashioned look.  And also, the way the pattern has you cut the fat quarters, it leaves no room for a prewash shrinkage.  I do like that puckered old-fashioned look, but don't different fabrics shrink at different rates?

Plus I think part of her thinking is to save time.  I will admit that I dislike waiting to wash the fabric, then ironing it all afterwards.  I HATE that tangled mess of newly washed fabrics almost as much as I hate zig-zagging the edges to prevent that tangled mess.

I am leaning more and more towards prewashing.  I would hate to spend a bunch of money on fabric, plus my time, and then have the quilt ruined by uneven shrinkage.  Am I paranoid?  I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who prewashes.  I thought everyone did.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
anaximander
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007 12:31:32 PM »

Fabrics shrink at different rates, true, but most quilt fabric is 100% cotton. So you'd see different shrinkage rates if you were using muslin and silk and cotton/poly blend and quilter's cotton - but if it's *all* quilter's cotton, then you may not even notice it
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rainylakechick
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007 12:47:34 PM »

I am leaning more and more towards prewashing.  I would hate to spend a bunch of money on fabric, plus my time, and then have the quilt ruined by uneven shrinkage.  Am I paranoid?  I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who prewashes.  I thought everyone did.

I pre-wash to avoid color bleeding.  But I also don't like using a finished project for personal use, unless its been washed.  So I can either sew my project and THEN wash it.  Or else prewash, sew, and then use the finished piece.   I like the latter.  As soon as I finish a quilt, I like to put it to immediate use!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KyTriplets
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007 05:00:48 PM »

I used to.  But after I made my own hand dye fabric and saw how much abuse goes into making fabric, I stopped pre-washing.

If I'm using a strong red, however, I do prewash.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

roobee
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2007 07:15:40 AM »

i have always washed my fabric first but recently  I bought a jelly roll and was thinking if I prewash these will I end up with a lot of fraying and a big mess.  i think this time i will skip prewash and wash after completed.  Don't know?HuhHuhHuh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Don, Meet Rosie, Rosie, Meet Don
Sex Writer Marie Calloway Addresses Dr. Phil Controversy LIVE
How to Make the Most of Your Interactions
Sleeping in Eden by Nicole Baart
The Offering by Angela Hunt
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decorative Bulletin Board
Rain, rain, you don't have to go away...
Tute Tuesday: Latch Hooked Rag Rug

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...