A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,589
Currently Running With Scissors:
733 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Vintagy ornaments (tut added on the page 4)  (Read 57406 times)
Tags for this thread: ornament  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

catdaddytn
« Reply #130 on: December 11, 2007 08:41:37 PM »

Where you get your balls.  I looked at Hobby Lobby and could only find the flaky type styrofome balls.  Yours look like a smooth type.  thanks.  catdaddytn
THIS ROCKS   Logged

catdaddytn
catdaddytn
« Reply #131 on: December 12, 2007 07:18:43 AM »

wow!  Now that I've read more of this thread, I see that my question about where to locate the smooth styrofoam balls is a common question.  I found a website, but unfortunately I forgot to save the name of it and also, I'm unsure if these are even the right type.

Vala queen of TMI - I adore your idea of using this idea for a wall hanging.  I'm really sentimental and totally "see" ideas just flowing with scraps of a whole variety of projects.  I'm hoping to get my sewing/crafting room "fixed" and this idea would go great with the ideas floating along in my head.

I did see the smooth foam stuff in shapes other than balls at Hobby Lobby.  Does WalMart carry these balls?  We don't have a JoAnn's.  I might order some, but would like to have the smoothies, now.

I've seen this idea or similar, using pieces of men's ties.

thanks.  catdaddytn
THIS ROCKS   Logged

catdaddytn
HippieKender
The most precious thing one can make is a friend.

I tend to lick circular things.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: December 12, 2007 08:20:36 AM »

I couldn't find the smooth styrofoam balls anywhere.  I tried 2 joann's, 3 hobby lobbies, the dollar store, a menards, and target.  I ordered them from this site.
I found this site online that still has the Dylite foam balls in stock - and at a decent price...JoAnn's has them in thier online store - but they are sold out right now.

This is the cheapest I found with shipping etc.

http://www.jacrafts.com/store.php?qry=dylite&action=show&mode=post&search_type=any&search_mode=simple

Since I live in a pretty rural part of Maine - I tend to order a lot online Smiley
Here's my first one.  It's kind of messy, I will probably add some ribbon at the seams.  I should also use fabrics with more contrast.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

independentlulu
« Reply #133 on: December 12, 2007 09:38:48 AM »

I am somewhat craft challeneged but I made these ornaments for my boys this past weekend and I am so happy with how they turned out.  This was a very easy project and your tutorial rocked!  

I don't have enough posts yet to add my pic but here is a link:

« Last Edit: December 12, 2007 09:49:53 AM by sweets4ever - Reason: Edited to insert picture for new member. Welcome to Craftster! :) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Leelou
« Reply #134 on: December 13, 2007 07:01:59 AM »

I have found a nice way to make 'hooks' onto the balls. I use a little piece of ribbon. Fold this round and pierce a pin through the ends. Apply the pin into the ball - et voila! A nice little hook.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

the jenya

Ink is my perfume.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #135 on: December 13, 2007 07:06:33 AM »

I love that people took this tutorial and flew with it. Must admit that I grabbed some fat quarters at Joann's to make one for our Secret Santa at work. They had no balls there so I might stuff it with yarn bits... a very lumpy ornament. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Library

Your revolution will not happen between these thighs.
lindseycore

cat lady till the day i die.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #136 on: December 13, 2007 06:19:32 PM »

boy do i wish i had read this entire thread before running off to make these.  i too got the BAD kind of balls... and had a heck of a time.  i didn't even finish two panels, let alone a whole ball.  they are now serving as cat toys for my curious little one.  lucky for me, i have the day off tomorrow, so i guess i'll go scoot about town until i can get my hands upon the "good" styrofoam balls.  lucky for me we have two joanns (one is HUGE), a couple targets, a couple walmarts, ac moore, michaels etc.  wish me luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

what i have made: flickr
what i am making: ravelry
what i want: wist

i love personal swaps, especially for handspun yarn
magpie0816
« Reply #137 on: December 14, 2007 05:13:52 AM »

I bought a huge box of these for around a buck a piece...they are fast and very reasonably priced.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One of a Kind Fused Glass Jewelry
Shop Dye Lot Collective http://www.dyelotcollective.etsy.com
http://www.dyelotcollective.com
catdaddytn
« Reply #138 on: December 14, 2007 08:03:30 AM »

Upon reviewing some craft books, I saw some ideas that go along with these with a little different twist.  One is to use pieces of men's ties.  Another is to use just random fabric pieces in the same way.  Another similar one was featured in last years' Women's Day by using a trim around the various sections.

thanks.  I need to get started, even it's using the crunchy styrofoam.  Why are these "good" balls so hard to locate?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

catdaddytn
MissTessaMelissa
« Reply #139 on: December 16, 2007 08:18:21 AM »

TIP:

hey if you can't find the "good" balls. I had a huge box of those really cheapo string wrapped ornaments. Just pull out the top and rub your thumb or finger across the bottom to get the string to come off and you get a perfect "good" polystyrene ball. Any place that sells ornaments has them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All squares are rectangles, but not all rectangles are squares.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
2013 MTV Movie Awards: Red Carpet Fashion - Selena Gomez, Emma Watson
Kim Kardashian Dons Some Sexy Maternity Wear at the MTV Movie Awards
4 Ways to Wear the Ruffle Trend Without Looking Too Young
Cheap Ways to Rock Coral For Spring
2013 MTV Movie Awards Style Prediction: Mila Kunis
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...