A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 299,151
Currently Running With Scissors:
682 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Scarf  (Read 511 times)
Tags for this thread: no_knit_scarf  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Tickle_Me_Pink
« on: November 04, 2007 04:04:03 PM »

I love these scarves;

except there extremely pricey [on 50$ amonth for all clothing] and it's such a simple thing. Is there any way I could make that. I'd like it to be that material, not like knitted. Here's the link to the scarf;

http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/productdetail.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&navAction=jump&id=13567425&search=true&color=01
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3
dbh2ppa
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007 05:21:07 PM »

Lovely scarf ^^
I'm not really sure, but I don't see any seams in that scarf, which would mean it was either woven like that (With the stripes) or dyed. I think it more likely to be woven like that, so I don't think you'd be able to make THAT scarf without weaving it yourself. (I guess you'd just set the warp with the stripes of black and gray and use a gray weft.)

If you don't mind having seams in the middle of the scarf you could find  a fabric you like in those colors, and I would recommend french seams (They look a little better than an ovelocked seams, imho)

Another thing you could do would be getting an all-gray scarf (Or make the scarf yourself) and dye the stripes... I'm not sure how to go about it tho Sad Maybe someone else around here could help you with that ^^

I think, if you like to weave, weaving it like that would be the best choice ^^ It WILL take a little longer, but the seamless result and the line definition you wouldn't get from dyeing it are worth it ^^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Made a cross from knitting needles,
made a grave from hoover bags
specially for the woman in the wall"
(The beautiful south - The woman in the wall)
Mylasbags
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007 05:05:50 PM »

Maybe you should just walk around the fabric store. The site say's it's cotton and polyester. I don't see why you couldn't find a woven fabric similiar to that.

AS far the the fringe goes, I do not know how you will do that, but I am sure you could find out a way to do it, even if you have to make and sew on the fringe yourself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Live, Love, Laugh.. it's what I do!
stripey_cat
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007 03:39:37 AM »

The fringe looks fairly simple:

First of all, draw out the wefts from a section of the cloth a bit deeper than you want your fringe to be.

Then, choose a number of warp threads to each bit of the fringe.  Spin these between your fingers (individually if they're thick, or a few together if they're thin) in the direction they're spun in until they're trying to curl up on themselves, then let the lot ply up together to make the cord for each bit of the fringe.  Tie an overhand knot as near the end as you can manage (this is the fiddly bit).  Repeat across the width of the fabric.

K.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
marypoppins

Duct Tape Rules!!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007 10:51:44 AM »

Don't forget to run a seam across the fabric above where your fringe starts.  That helps to prevent it from tearing up too far.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't call it trash...I can make something with it!!!
dbh2ppa
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007 06:54:57 PM »

hmm... that makes so much more sense than what I suggested XD
I guess I'm just used to making things from scratch ^^... My mind just  can't think "Maybe there's a fabric like that that you could buy" LoL... Anyway, sorry if my first post made it look too difficult to make Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Made a cross from knitting needles,
made a grave from hoover bags
specially for the woman in the wall"
(The beautiful south - The woman in the wall)
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
At Last, A Formula For What Photos The Internet Likes
Every Instagram Filter, Definitively Ranked
A Boudoir Photo Shoot Is The Sexy Gift That Keeps On Giving
Photography Tips: Take Only Photographs, Leave Only Footprints
Landscape and Nature Photography Tips
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...