A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,710
Currently Running With Scissors:
685 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dyeing (sp?) a corset, and other ren-faire related questions.  (Read 623 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

olive_juice
« on: November 04, 2007 03:40:59 PM »

Alright guys, my friend and I are going to the ren faire in texas next weekend and have been trying to put together outfits. We were fortunate enough to come across a corset for EIGHT DOLLARS! Yay! Who cares if it's red and your skirt is purple? Grab it!
Now the issue is how best to dye said corset.
It looks like this:

Here's the tag:

says 97% poly, 3% spandex.
I just figured I would ask my fellow craftsters before I hauled off and shoved it in a bucket of Rit, because you seem to know a mite more than either I or the Rit bottle.

I also have a couple more questions. Does anyone have an idea for a simple blouse to go underneath? Or an alternative to a corset for my outfit? I've got a purple/red taffeta, which is floor-length, and i'm going to have to let the waist out ($8 Victor Costa, with the tags still on it. whee!), and my friend has a floor length purple, black and silver plaid (it's scottish weekend at the festival).

My skirt:

Obligatory cat picture, cause she's always up in my crafty business:

(her name's boo, and we found her in the cemetery. Adorable, yeah?)

Thanks for any advice you may have! You guys rock.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"They sicken of the calm, who know the storm" -Dorothy Parker

wists.com/Olive_Juice

greenergrasses.etsy .com
mariposaluna
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007 03:47:42 PM »

I dunno about dyeing it. I only have experience dyeing cotton. Here's a link to a shirt I've made for ren faire garb.
http://www.reddawn.net/costume/chemise.htm
She has other stuff to make also.

Have fun at the faire! I wish I was going.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

May you be blessed with inspiration,
Mariposa de la Luna

My pictures
http://www.craftster.org/pictures/showgallery.php?ppuser=110165&cat=500
Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007 05:28:50 PM »

This might be a stupid question, but if your skirt is red/purple, why not just leave the corset red?  (They both look really pretty, btw!) 

Other than that I'm not much help.  But I did also want to vouch for that chemise tutorial.  I used it at Halloween with much success.  Except I didn't make a casing for my elastic, I just stitched it straight to the neck and cuffs with the elastic stitch, so I'd have a small ruffle.  It came out very nice and comfy, and completely suitable for Ren Fest.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
HorrorCraft
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007 05:55:00 PM »

Read the back of the dye, but I have a feeling you are going to have problems dying correctly because of the percentage of poly.

http://www.pburch.net/dyeing/dyelog/B1063361308/C1084792486/E20071015141058/index.html Has a lot of information about dyeing and strongly discourages against dyeing Poly.

How about finding a lace or a sheer fabric to sew over it, instead?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007 05:57:56 PM by Threadkiller » THIS ROCKS   Logged

my spooky craft and decor blog====> http://horrorcraft.blogspot.com/
my not so spooky craft blog====> http://enduremyworld.blogspot.com/
ptarmic wumpus
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

You are in room 2

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007 06:00:41 PM »

What Threadkiller said Smiley

Do not bother trying to dye your corset - polyester will not take RIT. There is only one type of dye that works on polyester (disperse dye), which is difficult and somewhat dangerous to use due to the high temperature dye baths needed to set the dye. If you really really want it to be purple, you could try some paint or pigment, but getting an even color would be unlikely. I would just leave it red - it would be fine with your purple skirt (and modern 'color matching' ideas are different from period ideas about combining colors anyway).

If you have enough fabric, a calf length chemise is a good idea - just don't make it so long that the hem ends up in the mud/dirt/etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

olive_juice
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007 07:55:47 PM »

This might be a stupid question, but if your skirt is red/purple, why not just leave the corset red?  (They both look really pretty, btw!)

not a stupid question at all. I should have clarified that my friend found the corset, so it's hers (and she's the one with the purple and black plaid). She wanted to dye it to match the skirt, but I guess this means she'll have to hand it over! Hehe, darn.

And thanks so much, mariposaluna for the link to that chemise tutorial! the girl going with me wanted to just go out and buy that stuff; i swear that girl acts like we're not poor college kids!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"They sicken of the calm, who know the storm" -Dorothy Parker

wists.com/Olive_Juice

greenergrasses.etsy .com
marypoppins

Duct Tape Rules!!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007 10:36:40 AM »

I would still tell her she could wear the red corset with the black/purple skirt.  With Ren Fest, you don't have to match.  Anything (and everything!) goes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't call it trash...I can make something with it!!!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Beauty From Texas, Ingredients and All!
Kardashian Makeup Artist Shares How To Get Glam
5 Products For Head to Toe Sun Protection
3 DIY Great Gatsby Inspired Makeup Looks
Coconut Oil: One Ingredient for Gorgeous Hair, Skin, and Nails
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...