A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,050
Currently Running With Scissors:
826 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: San Diego Craftsters unite!  (Read 6251 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mirandasnyder
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2005 07:07:27 PM »

Well, I don't know much about how to start clubs, but I'm going to research information about it.  Hopefully, we can get more people into this idea.  Since I'm already in Criminal Justice school right now, I can't get more funding for FIDM, but I have enrolled in a certificate program for dressmaking and design.  I'm hoping that if a club can get started, I can share information that I learn in this program with others.  It sounds like a lot of fun!  I get back to you guys when I get more info.  And if anyone in the Southern California area is interested, let this forum know.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
simplysara

I cut the cheese the best!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2005 09:51:30 AM »

I'm in Golden Hill/South Park.  I would love to be involved in a craft club etc.  Is everyone 21 or up?  I know a bar in South Park that some friends and I have had sewing night at before... perhaps I could talk him into hosting us
Sara
THIS ROCKS   Logged
angbag
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2005 10:12:00 AM »

I live in Encinitas, and I'm willing to join in on the Crafty club.  We can share ideas, exchange patterns, and suggest fabric choices.  I am currently taking a (free) sewing class in SD and just got a brand new sewing machine!  I have recently sewn costumes and hats for myself and b-friend.  Perhaps we should start by choosing a place and date to meet...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Be the change you wish to see in the world."
  -- Mahatma Gandhi
destroyed_sweater
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2005 09:33:33 AM »

I just went shopping for a sewing machine yesterday.  Yikes, those things are expensive!  Does anyone know of a place in San Diego where I can get a used machine with at least 14 stitch functions that is sturdy and will sew through denim?  My budget is between $100-200 (and 200 is a stretch).  My last machine was a super basic Singer from the 1940s that had been my grandma's and was maintained very well.  The thing was all metal, built like a tank, and wouldn't break.  So I don't mind a used machine, I just don't know where to find a good one (I've checked a few thrift stores but they have machines with blown out engines and frayed electric cords).

Angbag, where did you find free sewing classes in San Diego?  And what kind of machine did you just buy?

I live in Clairemont, which is pretty much central to anywhere you'd like to meet up.  Unfortunately, I am 20 until September.  I don't know the rules with bars, but can I come in and be crafty as long as I just order a Shirley Temple or something?  Or are they strictly 21+?

-Kate
THIS ROCKS   Logged
angbag
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2005 09:56:56 AM »

Kate,

I take free sewing classes here: 
http://www.sandiegocet.net/classes/spring/sewing.php

The community college has various locations around SD county.  Spring semester starts next week.

A girl in my class bought a used Bernina bernette at Sew Hut (http://www.sewhut.com/) on balboa ave at the corner of clairemont dr. (next to Albertson's).  I think she said it was $125.  I just got a Huskystar 219 for Christmas (it was $300). 
You can also check the classified ads in the Reader, U-T, or craigslist.org, or check Sears for their Kenmores. 
Good luck!

Ang
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-- Mahatma Gandhi
Gertie_T
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2005 07:18:31 PM »

simplysara, I live in South Park too! How rad. I love this neighborhood!

Are you talking about the Whistle Stop? I would love to go there for the knitting group sometime.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Goddess
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2005 07:28:42 PM »

oh, I so wish that I still lived in San Diego! I used to live in Banker's Hill.

on the other hand I'll be doing the SD Rock N Roll Marathon in June, so if you girls are going to have a get together around june 5th (but not ON jne 5th) I'd love to attend!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
destroyed_sweater
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2005 12:15:01 AM »

Do you want to plan something for this upcoming Saturday or Sunday?  That would be February 5th or 6th.  I'll be done with midterms by then, and slightly more sane and relaxed, and eager to jump back into knitting projects.  What times and places work for everyone?

-Kate
THIS ROCKS   Logged
simplysara

I cut the cheese the best!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2005 10:10:54 AM »

The Whistle Stop does the Knit and Bitch thing, but I was talking about Sparky's.  Its a great place!  My friends and I go to burning man and the owner also goes to burning man, so last year we were making our costumes at the bar!  People get confused when they come to a bar and 5 people are sewing tutus!
Sara
THIS ROCKS   Logged
angbag
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2005 10:33:31 AM »

Sara, I am going to burning man for my first time this year, and am beginning to make costumes for it.  Just recently went up to the Fashion District in L.A. and bought lots of fur/fabric!  I would love to get together and make costumes.  I wouldn't mind checking out the national city swapmeet sometime, too...

Ang
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-- Mahatma Gandhi
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
How to Use the Image Processor in Adobe Bridge CS3
How to Rename a File in Adobe Bridge CS3
How to Work with the Metadata Panel in Adobe Bridge CS3
How to Move and Delete Images in Adobe Bridge CS3
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...