A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 300,942
Currently Running With Scissors:
593 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: San Diego Craftsters unite!  (Read 7944 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Gertie_T
« on: December 23, 2004 12:33:38 PM »

Hello all,

I've been thinking a lot lately about starting some sort of craft group in San Diego. I'm really inspired by groups like the Church of Craft (www.churchofcraft.org), and I think it's high time San Diego had some sort of forum like this for people of all ages and backgrounds who are into DIY, being crafty, learning new things, but most of all, just love to get together with like-minded craftsters and make things! Some potential things that could happen with this group would be charity craft drive, workshops, and craft fairs. But I think a great start would be to find a big space where people could meet and craft in a monthly "craft-on."

Does anyone have any interest in this, or brainstorms for how to make it happen? Respond here or send me a personal message!

xoxo and happy crafting!

Gertie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Shan
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2004 12:08:27 AM »

Bueno! I would be interested for sure. I don't have any ideas at the moment, perhaps after I recover from the holiday craziness. Let's do it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blessed are those who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused. - annonymous
midget

craftiness out the wahzoo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2004 06:03:38 PM »

i'd be up for a san diego craft thing. i liked your ideas, especially the charity one. if anyone is interested, my sister has a san diego yarn club, where people meet and knit/crochet/whatever together. let me if you get anything going Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.meloyelo.etsy.com
d.i.y = l.o.v.e
mirandasnyder
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2005 04:40:41 PM »

I'm in San Diego; Pacific Beach to be exact.  I wouldn't mind being in some sort of trendy sewing club or something along the lines of fashionable sewing.  Even maybe like a Fashion Design Club?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
destroyed_sweater
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2005 11:02:10 AM »

Your craft club idea sounds fantastic!  I'm here in San Diego to go to UCSD, but I don't know very many other crafty people down here.  I'm personally really into knitting (I just learned how over the summer with Stitch and Bitch, and I am waiting for the yarn to arrive so that I can start my first sweater), beading, embroidery, and I am going to buy a sewing machine with my next paycheck because I'd like to learn how to sew.  Let me know if this group gets organized or if there is an upcoming meet up.
-Kate
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mirandasnyder
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2005 12:30:50 PM »

How would I go about starting something like that?  For one, I want it to be an edgey, trendy kind of club, you know?  But really, of all my friends, none of them are like me in terms of creativity.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Gertie_T
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2005 01:27:31 PM »

Yay! It's great to get enthusiastic responses. Unfortunately, holiday travel and a month-long bout of bronchitis have kept me from thinking much more about this, but I will keep pondering times and places and post here again when I have something definite in mind.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewsewsd
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2005 08:40:51 AM »

I'm totally in -- just got my first sewing machine, and can't leave it alone for more than 10 minutes. I'd love to meet some other peeps who dream about the perfect purse pattern, like I do. It would be nice if someone opted to "teach" a project each meeting, so that we can build off eachother's strenths and try new projects. Pls keep me posted. Thanks!
Abby
THIS ROCKS   Logged
destroyed_sweater
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2005 10:46:37 PM »

Have you seen Amy Butler's Velma bag pattern (probably, I heard about it here I think)?  I love that bag; as soon as I buy a sewing machine, I'd like to make it.  But purses are such fun things to make. 

I'm also in search of non frumpy clothing patterns.  Has anyone heard of a Stitch n Bitch sort of book for sewing?  I think that I like knitting so much because I can actually find patterns to make things that I'd wear.  But sewing patterns tend to be big, unfitted, and about 10 years behind what is in style.  Maybe I just don't know where to look, or have been scarred by memories of wearing jumpers and vests as a child. 

But I'm excited about joining a DIY/craft club for younger people.  My friends are mostly guys who don't understand my interest in all things crafty.  And the knitting clubs that I've found in San Diego are filled with middle aged or older people (although I haven't been to the Whistle Stop yet).

-Kate
« Last Edit: January 25, 2005 10:56:14 PM by destroyed_sweater » THIS ROCKS   Logged
_grunge
sleeper

...all over me.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2005 06:53:58 PM »

I'm in San Diego; Pacific Beach to be exact.  I wouldn't mind being in some sort of trendy sewing club or something along the lines of fashionable sewing.  Even maybe like a Fashion Design Club?

I'm in PB too, and that sounds like an awesome idea. ANd yes. Can't wait to hear more.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Behind the Scenes: Gwen Stefani
Victoria Beckham Wins at Wimbledon in a Sexy Slip Dress
Kanye West Designs Denim Collection For French Label
Score a Perfect Look for a Summer Night Out
Fashion Trends: The All-American Varsity Look
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...