A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,205
Currently Running With Scissors:
436 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: San Diego Craftsters unite!  (Read 7173 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Gertie_T
« on: December 23, 2004 12:33:38 PM »

Hello all,

I've been thinking a lot lately about starting some sort of craft group in San Diego. I'm really inspired by groups like the Church of Craft (www.churchofcraft.org), and I think it's high time San Diego had some sort of forum like this for people of all ages and backgrounds who are into DIY, being crafty, learning new things, but most of all, just love to get together with like-minded craftsters and make things! Some potential things that could happen with this group would be charity craft drive, workshops, and craft fairs. But I think a great start would be to find a big space where people could meet and craft in a monthly "craft-on."

Does anyone have any interest in this, or brainstorms for how to make it happen? Respond here or send me a personal message!

xoxo and happy crafting!

Gertie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Shan
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2004 12:08:27 AM »

Bueno! I would be interested for sure. I don't have any ideas at the moment, perhaps after I recover from the holiday craziness. Let's do it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blessed are those who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused. - annonymous
midget

craftiness out the wahzoo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2004 06:03:38 PM »

i'd be up for a san diego craft thing. i liked your ideas, especially the charity one. if anyone is interested, my sister has a san diego yarn club, where people meet and knit/crochet/whatever together. let me if you get anything going Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.meloyelo.etsy.com
d.i.y = l.o.v.e
mirandasnyder
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2005 04:40:41 PM »

I'm in San Diego; Pacific Beach to be exact.  I wouldn't mind being in some sort of trendy sewing club or something along the lines of fashionable sewing.  Even maybe like a Fashion Design Club?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
destroyed_sweater
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2005 11:02:10 AM »

Your craft club idea sounds fantastic!  I'm here in San Diego to go to UCSD, but I don't know very many other crafty people down here.  I'm personally really into knitting (I just learned how over the summer with Stitch and Bitch, and I am waiting for the yarn to arrive so that I can start my first sweater), beading, embroidery, and I am going to buy a sewing machine with my next paycheck because I'd like to learn how to sew.  Let me know if this group gets organized or if there is an upcoming meet up.
-Kate
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mirandasnyder
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2005 12:30:50 PM »

How would I go about starting something like that?  For one, I want it to be an edgey, trendy kind of club, you know?  But really, of all my friends, none of them are like me in terms of creativity.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Gertie_T
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2005 01:27:31 PM »

Yay! It's great to get enthusiastic responses. Unfortunately, holiday travel and a month-long bout of bronchitis have kept me from thinking much more about this, but I will keep pondering times and places and post here again when I have something definite in mind.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewsewsd
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2005 08:40:51 AM »

I'm totally in -- just got my first sewing machine, and can't leave it alone for more than 10 minutes. I'd love to meet some other peeps who dream about the perfect purse pattern, like I do. It would be nice if someone opted to "teach" a project each meeting, so that we can build off eachother's strenths and try new projects. Pls keep me posted. Thanks!
Abby
THIS ROCKS   Logged
destroyed_sweater
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2005 10:46:37 PM »

Have you seen Amy Butler's Velma bag pattern (probably, I heard about it here I think)?  I love that bag; as soon as I buy a sewing machine, I'd like to make it.  But purses are such fun things to make. 

I'm also in search of non frumpy clothing patterns.  Has anyone heard of a Stitch n Bitch sort of book for sewing?  I think that I like knitting so much because I can actually find patterns to make things that I'd wear.  But sewing patterns tend to be big, unfitted, and about 10 years behind what is in style.  Maybe I just don't know where to look, or have been scarred by memories of wearing jumpers and vests as a child. 

But I'm excited about joining a DIY/craft club for younger people.  My friends are mostly guys who don't understand my interest in all things crafty.  And the knitting clubs that I've found in San Diego are filled with middle aged or older people (although I haven't been to the Whistle Stop yet).

-Kate
« Last Edit: January 25, 2005 10:56:14 PM by destroyed_sweater » THIS ROCKS   Logged
_grunge
sleeper

...all over me.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2005 06:53:58 PM »

I'm in San Diego; Pacific Beach to be exact.  I wouldn't mind being in some sort of trendy sewing club or something along the lines of fashionable sewing.  Even maybe like a Fashion Design Club?

I'm in PB too, and that sounds like an awesome idea. ANd yes. Can't wait to hear more.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mirandasnyder
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2005 07:07:27 PM »

Well, I don't know much about how to start clubs, but I'm going to research information about it.  Hopefully, we can get more people into this idea.  Since I'm already in Criminal Justice school right now, I can't get more funding for FIDM, but I have enrolled in a certificate program for dressmaking and design.  I'm hoping that if a club can get started, I can share information that I learn in this program with others.  It sounds like a lot of fun!  I get back to you guys when I get more info.  And if anyone in the Southern California area is interested, let this forum know.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
simplysara

I cut the cheese the best!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2005 09:51:30 AM »

I'm in Golden Hill/South Park.  I would love to be involved in a craft club etc.  Is everyone 21 or up?  I know a bar in South Park that some friends and I have had sewing night at before... perhaps I could talk him into hosting us
Sara
THIS ROCKS   Logged
angbag
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2005 10:12:00 AM »

I live in Encinitas, and I'm willing to join in on the Crafty club.  We can share ideas, exchange patterns, and suggest fabric choices.  I am currently taking a (free) sewing class in SD and just got a brand new sewing machine!  I have recently sewn costumes and hats for myself and b-friend.  Perhaps we should start by choosing a place and date to meet...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Be the change you wish to see in the world."
  -- Mahatma Gandhi
destroyed_sweater
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2005 09:33:33 AM »

I just went shopping for a sewing machine yesterday.  Yikes, those things are expensive!  Does anyone know of a place in San Diego where I can get a used machine with at least 14 stitch functions that is sturdy and will sew through denim?  My budget is between $100-200 (and 200 is a stretch).  My last machine was a super basic Singer from the 1940s that had been my grandma's and was maintained very well.  The thing was all metal, built like a tank, and wouldn't break.  So I don't mind a used machine, I just don't know where to find a good one (I've checked a few thrift stores but they have machines with blown out engines and frayed electric cords).

Angbag, where did you find free sewing classes in San Diego?  And what kind of machine did you just buy?

I live in Clairemont, which is pretty much central to anywhere you'd like to meet up.  Unfortunately, I am 20 until September.  I don't know the rules with bars, but can I come in and be crafty as long as I just order a Shirley Temple or something?  Or are they strictly 21+?

-Kate
THIS ROCKS   Logged
angbag
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2005 09:56:56 AM »

Kate,

I take free sewing classes here: 
http://www.sandiegocet.net/classes/spring/sewing.php

The community college has various locations around SD county.  Spring semester starts next week.

A girl in my class bought a used Bernina bernette at Sew Hut (http://www.sewhut.com/) on balboa ave at the corner of clairemont dr. (next to Albertson's).  I think she said it was $125.  I just got a Huskystar 219 for Christmas (it was $300). 
You can also check the classified ads in the Reader, U-T, or craigslist.org, or check Sears for their Kenmores. 
Good luck!

Ang
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-- Mahatma Gandhi
Gertie_T
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2005 07:18:31 PM »

simplysara, I live in South Park too! How rad. I love this neighborhood!

Are you talking about the Whistle Stop? I would love to go there for the knitting group sometime.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Goddess
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2005 07:28:42 PM »

oh, I so wish that I still lived in San Diego! I used to live in Banker's Hill.

on the other hand I'll be doing the SD Rock N Roll Marathon in June, so if you girls are going to have a get together around june 5th (but not ON jne 5th) I'd love to attend!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
destroyed_sweater
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2005 12:15:01 AM »

Do you want to plan something for this upcoming Saturday or Sunday?  That would be February 5th or 6th.  I'll be done with midterms by then, and slightly more sane and relaxed, and eager to jump back into knitting projects.  What times and places work for everyone?

-Kate
THIS ROCKS   Logged
simplysara

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2005 10:10:54 AM »

The Whistle Stop does the Knit and Bitch thing, but I was talking about Sparky's.  Its a great place!  My friends and I go to burning man and the owner also goes to burning man, so last year we were making our costumes at the bar!  People get confused when they come to a bar and 5 people are sewing tutus!
Sara
THIS ROCKS   Logged
angbag
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2005 10:33:31 AM »

Sara, I am going to burning man for my first time this year, and am beginning to make costumes for it.  Just recently went up to the Fashion District in L.A. and bought lots of fur/fabric!  I would love to get together and make costumes.  I wouldn't mind checking out the national city swapmeet sometime, too...

Ang
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-- Mahatma Gandhi
simplysara

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2005 02:07:41 PM »

Ang,

Have you met the San Diego burning man community yet?  There are lots of us in San Diego  http://www.fuegodiego.com/  is the official san diego site.  I have not yet decided if I am going this year, but I am definitely up for making costumes for other events.  Thrift store shopping is also a great way to get costumes to reconstruct.  Feel free to email me (simplysara (at) yahoo (dot) com) and we could get together or I could introduce you to the SDBM community
Sara
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dollydlux
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2005 08:15:41 PM »

Hey Guys- I just registered today and this is my very first post! Grin  I hope I am doing it correctly.  I am in Oceanside and would LOVE to meet up with you gals for anykind of group.  There is a fairly new (4-6 months old) yarn shop called noble knits in oceanside that always has people hanging out and knitting/crocheting and it is kid friendly too!  Now that the holidays are over- lets figure something out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
muffinpod
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2005 03:01:44 PM »

*gasp* i wanna play!

i was actualy just wondering today if there was any sort of artsy group around here.

i'll totally help set stuff up f you'd like. i'm in vista/san marcos. where are you?

im me: criduchatnoir
THIS ROCKS   Logged

muffinpod
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2005 03:18:35 PM »

dollydlux-

that sounds like a cool place! i live around oceanside but i've never seen it. i should totally check it out. plus, it sounds like a fun spot to meet together. you know where else is crazy-awesome?

over in encinitas on the 101 there's a yarn place called "the black sheep" which sells all kinds of funky (and sometimes pricey) yarns. i <3 it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dollydlux
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2005 05:27:38 PM »

That shop I was talking about called Noble Knits in Oceanside is having an anti-super bowl party on sunday from 12-6pm. Lots of food, knitting, and whatever!  If you are into the super bowl you can still come check it out and get home in time for kick off! I am going to try REALLY hard to stop in for a bit- maybe I will see some of you there- I will be the one carrying a red rose.....

haha just kidding- I felt so blind date ish there for a moment-
THIS ROCKS   Logged
muffinpod
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2005 09:05:21 AM »

*gasp*
that's so awesome...i was trying so hard to figure out a way to ditch my family tomorrow. i can't stand when my stepdad gets all..."grunt grunt make me a sandwich i'm a man."

i'd love to check that out for a bit. yaaay.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vpop
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2005 11:42:52 PM »

Yay!  San Diego craftyfolk!  I've got a question for you all- what LYS do you guys shop at?  Knitting in La Jolla is closest to my work, but I don't really like it there; I don't get a warm and friendly vibe there.  (Maybe it's because I look like a poor college student?  Which I'm not... well, at least the college student part  Tongue )  A coworker's taken me to Lori's Fibers and everyone's nice there, but it's all the way in Alpine so it's too far for me to travel to regularly.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
destroyed_sweater
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2005 08:00:41 AM »

I haven't really found a super favorite lys in San Diego yet.  I've been getting yarn online or from yarn stores back home in Yuba City (not so local).  I go to school near Knitting in La Jolla, so if I need anything right away, I go there, but yeah I feel uncomfortable because I'm a poor college student and I don't like yarn without prices marked.  As far as selection, I like the Black Sheep in Encinitas a lot because they carry a lot of hand dyed and variaged wool, which is my favorite.  But Encinitas is pretty far for me.  I have a lot of trouble getting helped at yarn stores.  The woman who owns the Grove is very nice though, and she runs a knit night on Thursday, but their yarn selection is very small (still a store with yarn and books is a great idea if you want to make me go broke quickly). 

BTW, I'm going to the knitting meetup at Claire de Lune tonight.  It starts at 7, but I'll be there around 8 because I am working late.  I've been before, it is pretty fun.  I checked it out and you can't even go into a bar until you are 21, so I won't be at the Whistlestop until September.  I don't want to get them into trouble since I'm underage. 

-Kate
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xtalmolina
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2005 05:17:20 PM »

Hi- I would love to start meeting.  We should start a yahoo group or do you have a myspace page....
xtalmolina@hotmail.com -myspace search too!  I live in Clairemont/kearny mesa!!!

I am going to go to "Ray street" at night this Saturday- Local Gallery open house plus great music free!!!!
http://entertainment.signonsandiego.com/profile/246095

Off of University

oh and for those 21 and up this Thurday March 10th Downtown

Visual Graffiti art show...at Landlord Jims 7-1 AM
www.1-8freshgearnart.com

Come and check out these great artists/designers...

Ginger Placek
Rob Merritt
Joey L. Leffel
Kymberly Jeka
Sean Dietrich
Martin Sklar
Craig Bush
Tonette Higgins -Compulsive Arts
Elisa Gonsalves
Rebecca Crouse

and...

last but not least! We will be offering free massages! Look for the
massage table set up in the back room!

Check out a cool new boutique called www.theoblongbox.net  -Deanille is looking for artist/designers to consign

Fashion Compassion,
Kristal Molina
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mirandasnyder
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2005 02:54:10 PM »

Ok, I posted a message on this topic a while ago saying how I was going to research how to start group/club like things.  I didn't find much info.  But, I do have a 'fairly' big empty room in my two bedroom house, that could possibly be used for meetings or....whatever.  By the way, it is for rent.  I live by the beach in Pacific Beach, practically on Garnet.  I was just looking at the room and trying to fingure out what the maximum occupancy could be for a Fashion Club.  Maybe 10-15, though I am not good at this sort of planning stuff.  I also have an extra sewing room in the back, where I do all my designing, and also where my ferret lives.  So I could be onto something here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xtalmolina
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2005 03:04:59 PM »

hey Miranda- thats a good idea.. I would like to meet you...can you email me or leave your email...thanks
Kristal Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mirandasnyder
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2005 05:07:10 PM »

Hello.  My email is jennifermassolini@yahoo.com.  I check it about everyother day or so.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lunastitch
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2005 02:43:20 PM »

Heyas,
I'm from Sydney Australia, but now living in San Diego with my boyfriend.
I went to the whistle stop 2 weeks ago for the knitting club, that was pretty cool....

is anyone going this sunday?

i'm gonna bring some sewing stuff along this time instead of knitting supplies. I checked with the lady who organizes it all and she said that its fine.

Anyways, say Hi if you're there. I guess the best way to spot me is i'll be sitting next to my bf who has really really blonde hair Smiley

cheers.

Emily.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.jumblebugs.com  - available now!
lunastitch
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2005 02:45:41 PM »

ps

anyone wanna get in contact about anything crafty send me an email:   leeroylunastitch@gmail.com

THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.jumblebugs.com  - available now!
destroyed_sweater
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2005 11:00:36 PM »

I just got a sewing machine over spring break.  I'm in the process of trying to learn to use it.  Can anyone recommend a good place to take lessons or a helpful book or a fabric store in San Diego?  Also, I just started teaching knitting at Michaels, which is such an awesomely fun job.  I figured out a way to fit knitting in with school and work.
-Kate
THIS ROCKS   Logged
goonie
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2005 12:20:07 AM »

Basically, i think we should DEF do this...
i live in hillcrest but im still in high school. blehhh.
Are people thinking more along the lines of a sewing or knitting group?
because i mostly sew and dont really knit.
btw, i think theres another store in la jolla called the needle nook and i think they have yarn but im not sure its about a block away from knitting in la jolla.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i like stripes.
i make lotsa stuff. www.rustycuts.etsy.com
www.rustycuts.blogspot.com
mirandasnyder
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2005 05:09:37 PM »

Yeah, Goonie.  I am definitely more into sewing and fashion, but I think that I've seen more people on here into knitting, so maybe we would make two groups or something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
artsy_lola
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2005 10:33:44 PM »

goonie, don't worry I'm still in highschool too! I live pretty close to you, in point loma. I would love to get involved in a sewing, crafting type group, especially this summer since I have nothing to do! As I was reading the previous posts and I was thinking that the upstairs room at Gelato Vera would be a really cool place to meet and I think they would be cool with letting people do that.
so, contact me if anyone is interested please!! straylovecat1@yahoo.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'm a modern girl
         But I fold in half so easily
When I put myself in the Picture Of Success"

Please check out my crafty biz's website (although under heavy construction) www.enfant0terrible.com
Otakuannie

It's okay because I didn't really mean it

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2005 03:37:05 PM »

Hey you guys, this is great!

mirandasnyder- I also live in PB about a block away from Garnet! I'm very interested in sewing clothes too, but still interested in the knitting

artsy_lola and goonie- I'm also in High School, in fact my school is in Point Loma

and to those of you asking about about knitting stores there's a great one in PB on Grand called the Needlework Cottege, I always get the nicest vibe going in there. PM me or IM on AIM ASyntheticBelief if any of you guys are interested in sewing
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Your MySpace makes me want to kill myself
artsy_lola
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2005 03:14:31 PM »

Hey guys,
I'm not sure who in here is still interested in a craft group but I found a possible location that would be perfect. Just outside of Hillcrest (right off Pacific Coast Highway at the Washington Street exit, near Amvets) there is a little cafe called Gelato Vera which is known for having local bands play there but since their neighbors recently complained about the noise, they are not allowed to have bands play anymore. They have a large room upstairs that would be perfect for holding some type of crafting group, there is no age limit (good for those of us not 21 yet), they have the best italian ice cream ever, and I have a friend who works there which gives us an edge. So, if that sounds good to everyone else....I'll go ahead and talk to her but I have a question. What would we specifically do in the group? Haha I know that sounds like a dumb question but are we talking like doing crafts together, or talking about crafts, etc etc. Sorry for my ignorance but I just wanna make sure. Comment soon if your interested or email me at straylovecat1@yahoo.com.
Thanks!
-Alex
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'm a modern girl

Please check out my crafty biz's website (although under heavy construction) www.enfant0terrible.com
goldfinch
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2005 04:52:15 PM »

Awww, reading this thread makes me so sad... I lived in Hillcrest for the last four years, and would have LOVED to have a crafty group! *smacks head for never checking on craftster*  I used to work in a boutique that carried locally designed stuff, so I know there's so many wonderfully crafty folks down there...  Anyway, I hope you guys get it together & have fun! (ah, there's a wistful tear in my eye for Gelato Vera...LOL)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

destroyed_sweater
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2005 05:54:22 PM »

Gelato Vero would be a fantastic place to meet.  I've been there for Lady Fest meetings.  Since I know that Lady Fest meeting there for a few more weeks on Monday night, what other night would you like to choose for a meet up?  Also, I've been to knitting meet ups at Claire de Lune which is very nice as well.  But I think we need to choose a date and time and start this up.  It would work out best for me if we meet up some time after 8 pm (because I'm taking some summer session classes).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
artsy_lola
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2005 12:09:08 AM »

But I think we need to choose a date and time and start this up. It would work out best for me if we meet up some time after 8 pm (because I'm taking some summer session classes).

I agree! My schuedle is pretty open so I was thinking maybe wednesday's at 8:30-9:30? How does that sound to everybody? ooooh I'm so excited to get this thing started up.

Oh and by the way, I was shopping today and found out that JoAnn's is having a HUGE sale. Most things were 50% off but then I also found a ton of stuff that was like 70% off! Just wanted to let you guys know, cuz none of my other friends appreciated the fact that I actually got out of the store under budget, which NEVER happens.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'm a modern girl

pinkcurtains
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2005 11:37:01 AM »

ooh, i just found this thread, i am in san diego as well, and would love to participate in crafty get togethers...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DevilDoll
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2005 06:35:39 PM »

We're having a get together of SD craftster-types next Tuesday .. I hope everyone here can attend!

I started a new thread for it here:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=44538.0

(PS - I'm posting this in all the SD threads just this one time so everyone will see it, going forward I'll just update the new thread)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Center of the Table Decoration
How to Make a Kirigami Tree
How to Make a Kirigami Dragon Fly
How to Make a Kirigami Snowflake
How to Make a Kirigami Flower
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...