A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 298,694
Currently Running With Scissors:
775 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HELP! Recycled yarn and yardage: What can I make with this?  (Read 1102 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fishie
she of the sea

perfecting neuroticism since 1984

View Profile WWW
« on: November 03, 2007 09:19:00 PM »

I know my subject makes it seem like I'm clueless, but really I'm not.  I'm just incredibly confused.

I want to make a sweater out of this lovely alpaca/nylon blend yarn that I recycled.  I managed to unravel the sweater it had been without losing any yarn at all, and after I'd wound it up and weighed it, it turns out I have 730 yards.  It's worsted weight, and from a medium size cabled sweater.  Here's a picture of what it used to be:

What's confusing me is, I'm having a really hard time finding a sweater that only uses 730 yards of yarn.  Most require much more.  I'm a small, and generally knit the 32" or 34" of a pattern, and the sweater I recycled was probably somewhere around a 36" or 38" chest.

I'm positive that my method in determining yardage was accurate.  I took 10 yards, weighed it on my electronic scale, and divided my weight by 10 to get the weight of one yard.  Then I weighed the rest of my yarn and divided each skein by the weight of one yard to determine how many yards were in each.

I had wanted to make Stefanie Japel's Simple knitted bodice, but without a contrasting yarn I like for the lace bits, it doesn't seem like that would happen, PLUS I don't have enough yarn.  I also would really like to make the Cable-Down Raglan from Interweave Knits Spring 2007, but it looks like I'd be bordering on not having enough yarn if I wanted longer sleeves (I know cables eat up yarn).  I might just end up making the Bonsai Tunic or the Keyhole Top from the same issue of Interweave, but ACK!  Why is it that I don't have enough yarn to make a full sweater when I recycled a sweater that was way too big for me?!

I guess this was more of a rant than anything.  Oops!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2007 09:21:34 PM by fishie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

If it lives in the water or flies in the air, I'm in love with it. In New Zealand I saw a flying fish and almost wet myself.

Blog!
Etsy!
Wists!
knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007 10:25:27 PM »

did you factor in whether the piece you measured was relaxed or stretched? 730 doesn't seem right.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fishie
she of the sea

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007 10:36:09 PM »

I held the yarn straight, but wasn't pulling it tight.  Should I be holding it taught? 

I went back and re-measured my 10-yard bit, this time holding it tight, and only cut off 7 inches.  But these seven inches apparently changed the weight of my 10-yards by 1 gram, and after re-doing my math, I have 876 yards.

This seems a LOT more plausible, although still a bit low for what I had unraveled.  And it's funny that 7 inches can throw off my measurements by 150 yards!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2007 10:53:22 PM by fishie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

If it lives in the water or flies in the air, I'm in love with it. In New Zealand I saw a flying fish and almost wet myself.

Blog!
Etsy!
Wists!
Dulcinea
If you haven't grown up by the time you're 30, you don't have to!

faciō, ergo sum

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007 04:43:49 AM »

because of rounding, you may want to take the weight you had for the 10 yard length, and use that as your standard, rather than trying to divide down to the 1-yard length.

my bet says that something went awry with the math, and it could be a simple rounding error due to the small numbers involved.

I know my subject makes it seem like I'm clueless, but really I'm not.  I'm just incredibly confused.

I want to make a sweater out of this lovely alpaca/nylon blend yarn that I recycled.  I managed to unravel the sweater it had been without losing any yarn at all, and after I'd wound it up and weighed it, it turns out I have 730 yards.  It's worsted weight, and from a medium size cabled sweater.  Here's a picture of what it used to be:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v22/madamecacoon/craft/greenalpaca.jpg

What's confusing me is, I'm having a really hard time finding a sweater that only uses 730 yards of yarn.  Most require much more.  I'm a small, and generally knit the 32" or 34" of a pattern, and the sweater I recycled was probably somewhere around a 36" or 38" chest.

I'm positive that my method in determining yardage was accurate.  I took 10 yards, weighed it on my electronic scale, and divided my weight by 10 to get the weight of one yard.  Then I weighed the rest of my yarn and divided each skein by the weight of one yard to determine how many yards were in each.

I had wanted to make Stefanie Japel's Simple knitted bodice, but without a contrasting yarn I like for the lace bits, it doesn't seem like that would happen, PLUS I don't have enough yarn.  I also would really like to make the Cable-Down Raglan from Interweave Knits Spring 2007, but it looks like I'd be bordering on not having enough yarn if I wanted longer sleeves (I know cables eat up yarn).  I might just end up making the Bonsai Tunic or the Keyhole Top from the same issue of Interweave, but ACK!  Why is it that I don't have enough yarn to make a full sweater when I recycled a sweater that was way too big for me?!

I guess this was more of a rant than anything.  Oops!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007 04:52:41 AM by Dulcinea » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Veni, Vidi, Velcro
I came, I saw, I stuck around

Taking a break from swaps to get some stuff under control.  Email if you need me.

Wists | Blog | Ravelry
fishie
she of the sea

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007 12:32:18 PM »

So should I go by my 10 yard weight stretched or my 10 yard weight relaxed?

:X
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog!
Etsy!
Wists!
Dulcinea

faciō, ergo sum

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007 01:08:27 PM »

why not assume about 850 yards, and that'll hopefully give you a bit of margin?

So should I go by my 10 yard weight stretched or my 10 yard weight relaxed?

:X
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Taking a break from swaps to get some stuff under control.  Email if you need me.

Wists | Blog | Ravelry
fishie
she of the sea

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007 01:20:14 PM »

That's pretty much what I was going to do, and since the Cable-Down Raglan requires 840 yards for my size, hopefully I'll be fine.

I didn't think I'd need a chemistry scale to weigh yarn!  I figured one from a kitchen supply store would be fine!  I guess I didn't realize how light yarn really was.  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog!
Etsy!
Wists!
Dulcinea

faciō, ergo sum

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2007 01:50:55 PM »

well, anytime you want to weigh a unit, and then extrapolate to see how much you have in total, you need to be careful not to go TOO small - 1 yard was just too small a quantity, I think... when I used one to measure yacht hardware to know how much was in a bin, we always did 10, so there was actually some weight.

That's pretty much what I was going to do, and since the Cable-Down Raglan requires 840 yards for my size, hopefully I'll be fine.

I didn't think I'd need a chemistry scale to weigh yarn!  I figured one from a kitchen supply store would be fine!  I guess I didn't realize how light yarn really was.  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Wists | Blog | Ravelry
zeeblebee
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2007 02:31:23 PM »

Also, your kitchen scale may round for you. Our kitchen scale goes by 2g increments, which is lots in fibre amounts. It is pretty old nowadays though, but check the packaging to see if it says something.

Perhaps instead of measuring a yard, you could weigh out 10g or so, and then measure it to see how much you have.

Good luck with your project, it is a very pretty colour.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fishie
she of the sea

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2007 03:50:40 PM »

Thing is, I WAS weighing 10 yards!  I guess I needed a scale that went down to 1/10th of a gram, since it seems the difference between 1 gram ended up being 150 yards!

I guess next time I will try weighing a larger quantity.  I just bought this scale yesterday too!  Maybe I should have bought the more expensive one?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog!
Etsy!
Wists!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Homemade Stuffed Sesame Leaves
Thai Fish Tacos With Latin Slaw Recipe
Japanese Salad Dressing Recipe
Coconut Cringe: Anthony Eats America Ep. 6 - Deleted Scene
Recipe For Revolution: Anthony Eats America Ep. 6 - Deleted Scene
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...