A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 304,846
Currently Running With Scissors:
437 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sweet Dreams Sleep Mask  (Read 2438 times)
Tags for this thread: sleeping_mask  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

shortleggedsarah

Finding myself

View Profile
« on: November 03, 2007 07:25:55 PM »

My roommate this year are on opposite ends of the spectrum on almost everything. I am usually in bed before midnight, she starts her homework around 1 am. Since I am a very heavy sleeper, I wanted something that would block out the light from her desk lamp (which I swear must have a 400 watt bulb!). Thus I give you, the sleep mask:

strap and other side:

Finally, an action shot:

Thanks for looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It is more important to be yourself than to hide things. The tools of the artist give you a chance to twist and bend the laws of nature and to cut-up and reshape the fabric of reality "-John Frusciante
soupurrrvhixin
i've got people to see & places that i need to burn down

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007 07:55:45 PM »

i love it!

do you think you could post a tutorial?

i don't know how to do that stuff around the edges.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yes,
us people are just poems
we're 90% metaphor
with a leanness of meaning
approaching hyper-distillation
katatsumuli
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007 11:12:28 PM »

i love it!

do you think you could post a tutorial?

i don't know how to do that stuff around the edges.

The stuff around the sleep mask looks like piping to me -
http://www.astitchahalf.com/tutorial_piping.html

Good luck  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

@  @,  .@  _@:  _@=  _@v   _@V   ..........._@V -(<3)
MandaBeads
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007 06:19:47 PM »

Very cute!  I love that fabric!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Amanda

Valentine Goodies Now Available on my Site!
http://www.freewebs.com/bdeetieboutique/index.htm

bdeetieboutique.blogspot.com  Come Visit my Blog!!
katatsumuli
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007 07:37:53 PM »

(And it is very cute and looks very comfortable and dark.) How did it work vs the roommate's light? (I'd be the one starting at 1am....my sister could have used one of these as we were growing up  Grin.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007 04:12:13 PM »

Cute fabric! I like it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
shortleggedsarah

Finding myself

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007 06:45:48 PM »

Thank you for all the wonderful comments!
Katat: it worked pretty well against the light... and two days after i made it she told me she wanted a roomate change. Like I said- we were on opposite ends of the spectrum and she didn't hide her contempt for me too well. Oh well. New roommate is much better.

I wonder if I can whip up some noise-cancellation headphones to drown out the (always) drunk freshmen down the hall...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It is more important to be yourself than to hide things. The tools of the artist give you a chance to twist and bend the laws of nature and to cut-up and reshape the fabric of reality "-John Frusciante
katatsumuli
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007 08:14:03 PM »

(Contempt?! When you didn't even tell her to turn the lights off, you made a mask? Staying up at all hours isn't the norm anyway, I think. Well, I hope she found someone compatible too.) I'm glad your new roommate is better. And sleep masks are still useful for lots of things, like airplane sleep and wearing to the store and getting weird looks. Sometimes if I was feeling bad or sleepy or had a headache I'd just put one on my forehead, and it made me feel kind of better. (Thus one time I forgot it on my head and went grocery shopping, and wondered why everyone was smiling at me the whole time. I didn't realize until after I'd checked out.)

:/ It sounds like maybe you should move to an apartment or shared house though. They're usually cheaper than dorms, although they run the risk of the entire place having a party. Our neighbors are like that every Thursday-Saturday. (Luckily the houses are across the alley / yard.) But on the other hand one of my best friends lives in an apartment with other college students and they're all awesome. Also some places only take one or two students. I guess it depends.

Well, good luck Smiley. You can always get earplugs from the store; they're washable and reusable, although also uncomfortable to wear (for me anyway). Sometimes if you're lucky soundwaves block other soundwaves, but then you'd have to have music on or something. In winter I'd put earmuffs on over my headphones to be able to hear the music better; maybe covering your whole ear and pressing stuff to it works ok for silence too. And, well, there are professional sound blocking and white noise generating things, but they're probably very expensive. I've never met anyone who has one, have you?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shortleggedsarah

Finding myself

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2007 05:24:13 PM »

Katat: not anyone normal Smiley. I am going to try to be an RA next year to save money (my school is about $34,000 a year, and the lovely government isn't helping that much. So if i can save on room and board that would be fantastic. Oh- and I will have been at college for a full five years because I switched my major three times.

So if i will be an RA next year, I am going to make a massive arsenal of sleep masks and noise cancellation devices. I might put some aromatherapy beads into them so I can heat them and they will smell lovely. These would be fantastic for when i have sinus headaches. Maybe I can market them to others who like quiet!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the_christine
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2007 11:29:56 AM »

Great mask... I could have used one of those.  This thread certainly doesn't make me miss college at all.

Really great construction on the mask and great fabrics!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Woven Vase Out of a Soda Bottle
How to Make a Tissue-Box Cover
How to Make a Towel Cake
How to Make a Toga
How to Make an Elf Costume
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...