A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,102
Currently Running With Scissors:
620 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: finally finished knitty's kyoto  (Read 4733 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rhythmgrl
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2005 03:11:30 PM »

Hey Boo -
Sorry to hear about the turn of events, nonetheless, I'm sure you'll have a very productive, happy and healthy year!!

I think the most time consuming piece of the project is the sash because of the double seed stitch.  It took me about a weekend of avoiding schoolwork to get it done.  The fronts are the quickest pieces to knit because they're actually pretty small - alarmingly so (but then you add a few inches when you knit the collar!) The back took about 4 hours uninterrupted.  The sleeves, those seemed to take me forever... not sure why.  Although, I think knitting them in the round instead of flat was a much better choice for me.  (I hate hand sewing!)

Elisha - sleeves in the round, a good choice?
Anyhow, keep us posted, I want to see pictures of your progress  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Atouria

Craftster in progress...

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2005 03:15:46 PM »

I'm considering tackling the kyoto as well... If I can find a cheaper yarn substitute.  What did you guys all use?

rhytmgrl,  How do you knit the sleeves in the round?  Do you use a 16" circular in the US 5?  (yes I'm a new knitter)  Do you have to alter the number of stitches or anything?  I'd much rather knit them in the rnd than seam them.  I'm more afraid of seaming than the rest of the project!!

Thanks,
Atouria
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rhythmgrl
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2005 03:32:16 PM »

Atouria - That's exactly what I did, a 16" circular, except I didn't have a size 5 (I thought it was, but it turned out to be a size 6).  I cast on the same number of stitches called for in the pattern, but I've since learned that you should drop the number of stitches by 2 or 4, I can't remember.  This supposedly compensates for the number of stitches you'd lose when you sew it up.  Because the sleeves are supposed to be long rectangles, you don't have to do any shaping - which makes it a lot easier.

There are some other tips on this thread:  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=16818.0

I used a wool yarn I found on the internet with the same gauge as the cotton yarn recommended.  It's toasty and makes me happy. 

Good luck!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stoliedina
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2005 03:38:58 PM »

Gorgeous! What a lovely job...

I read Knitty religiously but have yet to actually try any of the patterns, and I've been eyeing this forever as well. Maybe I need to step up! Whoo hoo! You've inspired me elisha!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shimma shimma, glimma glimma, c'mere let me give you a lil' shhhparkle. - me Smiley

http://www.geekxnerd.com/
http://geekxnerd.etsy.com
elisha

if not now, when?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2005 10:59:55 PM »

yes, definitely knit the sleeves in the round...i am surprised the pattern didn't call for this...it's so much easier, and, well, seamless. they are really soft and hang very nicely without a fat seam running across the bottom.
um, time...well, i agree with rythmgrl, that it's the sash that will slow you down in the beginning. i would say the whole thing took me a month - with a lot of time off for making gifts. the body is very quick - my front panels looked so tiny, that i was concerned. then the finishing was much quicker than i had thought it would be (or maybe it was just the adrenalin of my obsession kicking in!) all in all, a fun pice to knit,
AND the more i wear it, the more i LOVE IT!
i was wearing it this weekend to a kind of fancy event, and someone complimented me on my beautiful sweater - she would not believe me when i told her i made it and waved a few people over to see it!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...the whole world is a narrow bridge, and the main thing is to have no fear at all...
mikan

we are ugly but we have the music

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2005 01:21:07 AM »

i too was concerned about the left over right issue (as a yukata and kimono sewer i noticed it right away) and went to check the pattern.  as mentioned the pattern is right, but the picture is wrong. too bad. it really is horrible to wear a kimono or yukata this way but i guess chances are it will just look like a wrapped sweater.  seems like it wouldn't be that hard to fix though and would be worth it out of respect for the original inspiration. 
i'd like to make a version of this with a patterned band and the collar closing more like a yukata (higher up in front and showing the neck in back) it's really a great comfy design... 
anyway, my vote is for changing the front if you can!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

now, whether in punishment or reward, through all eternity, she must love and believe in what she did not understand.  -dennison
aemcdraw
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2005 07:27:46 PM »

Hey, I finished my Kyoto too.  Although, mine took much longer than a month.  I think I was really procrastinating.  I read on these forums about the left over right issue a while back, and promptly forgot and sewed mine on the dead way too.   Embarrassed  I'm not sure I will fix it.  Out of habit I cross my robe and sweater cardigans this direction too, and I don't know if I will have the patience to fix it right away.  Mine came out much smaller than I'd wish, but it still fits and looks alright.  I really like the fit on yours and your color choice.  Good job Elisha! 

This is my first post on Craftster.  As soon as I finished my Kyoto and put up a post on my blog, I wanted to come to Craftster and post my pic.  Tongue

Details at http://aemcdraw.com/archives/00000134.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Atouria

Craftster in progress...

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2005 08:48:03 PM »

It turned out great aemcdraw!!  It looks really soft in the photo ~ What yarn did you use?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aemcdraw
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2005 08:53:00 PM »

Thanks.  Its Pakucho organic cotton I bought from Elann a while back.  I wished they had the green available at Elann during that time because I think a green sash would have looked cool.
http://www.perunaturtex.com/yarn.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tere
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2005 09:51:23 AM »

I love your colour choice aemcdraw, It looks beautiful  Smiley Other than the fact that you're used to crossing your robe a certain way, is there a reason the collar should be sewn the other way?
Tere
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Marbled Easter Eggs
How to Make Golden Glitter Easter Eggs
How to Make Lace Easter Eggs
How to Make Silk Tie Dyed Easter Eggs
Gabby_Giffords_Sizzle_Lock_MM
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...