A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 315,703
Currently Running With Scissors:
455 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: an early start for the princess of power costume  (Read 1499 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jellobird1
« on: May 13, 2008 05:17:53 AM »

usually I'm entirely unmotivated when it comes to my Halloween costume but I'm starting early this year. i was surfing around amazon for deals when i ran across a freakin cheap bustier!  10 bucks marked down from 80 ain't too shabby Shocked
http://www.amazon.com/Milili-Seamless-Bridal-Bustier-Corset/dp/B000MGEQ2A/ref=pd_ybh_11?pf_rd_p=280800601&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_t=1501&pf_rd_i=ybh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1KW11A77ABDWCDEZNJ98

what can a crafty person do with a plain white bustier you may ask? well you can start your Halloween costume of she-ra, of course!  Wink I think I'm going to try my hand at the armor technique from http://www.entropyhouse.com/penwiper/costumes/helmsdeep.html assuming i can find the buff and rub in gold leaf...i did have a few questions that i need some input on...
1. what kind of fabric makes a good cape without lining it? (yes i'm lazy)
2. does anybody know where i can get large red and blue oval non-faceted rhinestones?
3. gold boots are definitely not in my budget so what alternatives do i have? if some sort of shoe cover is my last hope is there a good way to draft a pattern for them?
4. gold spandex or lam for bracers, belt, choker
5. anybody have a tute in mind for the type of skirt i would need? i guess it's kindova half-circle mini but i need help figuring out how to make it high-waisted so that it looks more like a dress with the top part

oh before i forget, i'm also making he-man for the bf so does anybody know how to make a muscle suit?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008 11:29:57 AM by sweets4ever » THIS ROCKS   Logged

tclar014
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008 04:47:27 PM »

Probably the best costume idea ever. When I was little my older brothers friend went as She-ra I was so jealous. Hers was sore bought, so a plastic dress and mask womp womp.

Some sort of polyester would probably be your best bet for the cape. Maybe the kind that most store bought costumes are made of(they have a bit of a sheen on both sides).
For the muscle suit you could get a nude leotard or long-sleeved shirt (depending if you wanted the legs to be ripped too...and if you can manage to convince your bf to wear a leotard) and do some strategic shading with a slightly darker shade of fabric paint. You cold also take a note from me circa grade 7 and stuff like crazy, although I wasn't exactly going for the same look I'm sure the results are quite similar to stuffing a bra.
-T
THIS ROCKS   Logged
perfervid
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008 04:29:58 PM »

ooh, i was she ra for halloween last year!  I toyed with the idea of making some armor with friendly plastic or papier mache, but i kinda ran out of time.  I'm kinda ridiculously busty, so I couldn't do a bustier costume (which is what i originally wanted).  I ended up making a little white dress and I cut gold lame fabric and put that into the "chestpiece" and used a regular white oval rhinestone for the chest.  I also used the lame on my headpiece (just a headband covered with it, and the little armor pieces were stuffed with craft batting for volume). I found my gold boots pretty cheap last year at Charlotte Russe.    My cape was just cheap red costume fabric, and it worked out well because it was really lightweight so it "flowed" well.  JoAnns had gold belting that worked pretty well to define the skirt from the bust.  I think all in all I spent around $40 on the costume.  I have to say, if I had more time to put into it I would have been happier, but hopefully I've given you some ideas...If you want to take a look, here are a couple of photos:

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=896571&albumID=73563&imageID=20509561

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=896571&albumID=73563&imageID=19766811
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008 11:56:33 PM »

I found a new spats tutorial! I'm not on my own computer so I can't give you the link to the one I had in mind, but this one looks pretty darn awesome:

http://community.livejournal.com/steamfashion/525310.html

You can get rubber-impregnated denim at your local fabric shoppe (well, you can get silver denim at MY local fabric shoppe Tongue). Otherwise, just spray paint the spats with a really fine mist (I did that in silver paint to a pair of messed up jeans I had as a teen, they turned out pretty awesome Cheesy) Just buy second-hand shoes to wear underneath them, spray-painted gold of course Cheesy

I think gold lame would *look* better than that shiny polyester spandexy stuff for the accessories, but it's a bum to work with from what I hear. You could always make them out of craft foam, too. As for the buff-and-rub or whatever, maybe you can spray the armour pieces the same gold as your shoes and dry brush a dark gray into the nooks to make the 3D portions stand out (a trick I learned from my dad when he was building those plastic glue-together WW2 airplane models).

And Perfervid, I super-heart your She-Ra costume!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
The Best Smudge Proof Eyeshadows for Fall 2015
See This 27-Second Beauty Transformation, Courtesy of Makeup Artist Robin Black
Kylie Jenner Does Her Own Makeup in Record Time
Woman Battling Cancer Lands Major Modeling Contract
Easy, Shimmery Fall Makeup Look
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Bean Burgers
@Home This Weekend: Vermicomposting
It's a bad week to be a seal...

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...