A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,126
Currently Running With Scissors:
594 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mrs. Lovett outfit/makeup/hair help? ^^;  (Read 15185 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Krista Danielle
« on: August 12, 2008 12:34:18 PM »

So my friend and I are going as Sweeney and Lovett from Sweeney Todd this year for Halloween, she'll be going as Sweeney and I'm trying to get my Mrs. Lovett costume together. I have the top part already.. it's store-bought though because I saw the shirt and vest on sale and just had to have it.. and when we figured out what we'd be this year for Halloween they just fit in with the theme. XD

But I've been looking around for tutorials or ideas about how to make the skirt, it doesn't have to be some amazing exact replica since the top part isn't.. but unless it turns out that I'm completely unable to do it I'd like it to be a bit similar... so I'm looking for ideas on how to make something like the skirts in these pictures..

[1]
[2]
[3]
[4] - I found another one! Cheesy I love the way the front of this one hangs..

It seems pretty straightforward.. but I just started really getting into being able to sew and actually make things on a larger scale for myself and I don't have the money to get the fabric for this and then mess it up. ^^;  So if you have any tutorials, suggestions, ideas, just anything really I'd really appreciate it!
And possibly tutorials for crinolines/petticoats/etc for underneath since I want it a little fluffier, I've found a few but I'm always on the lookout for more ideas.

Oh, and any makeup or hairstyling tips would be good too! I've been doing fun makeup and hair stuff for a lot longer than I've been sewing so more complicated things in this area are fine for me, and I just got this wig (Front Back) for super cheap on eBay so that's what I'll be styling since my own shoulder length neon pink hair isn't too Mrs. Lovett.
Also.. I'm on a teensy little budget so the fabric for my skirt will probably come from the dollar table at Wal-Mart if they get something suitable out before Halloween. XD Unless anyone else knows of a place to get cheap fabric.
I don't have a JoAnn's anywhere near me but I have a Michael's and A.C. Moore about thirty minutes away near my dad's house and of course a Wal-Mart and that's about it as far as any craft related stores near me.

I hope it's okay to post this here..I've seen others ask questions here but if it's not okay I'm sorry!

*EDIT*
I've got the skirt all figured out, well.. pretty much all figured out, I read through what felt like half a million sites and tutorials and I've drafted a pattern for myself, I got lucky enough to find just enough old fabric I don't need that much of anymore to make a practice skirt before I mess up some good fabric.. when I find it.  Cheesy

Thank you dulcidine for the hair tutorial links, and the makeup one, I'm on deviantART all the time and yet I hadn't run across that yet I don't think. ^^;

And graverobbergirl, thank you too. I just found that wal-mart has some of their slighty 'damaged' tulle for 78 cents a yard because it has a few nicks and holes here and there for some reason, but that's good enough for me since it's just going under something. Cheesy
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008 06:51:25 PM by Krista Danielle » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Vladimyr
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008 08:43:12 AM »

The Threadbangers have a really good Instructable on making a Sweeney Todd inspired dress that might be helpful:

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Make-a-Sweeney-Todd-Inspired-Dress/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dulcidine
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008 08:29:48 PM »

I'm working on my own Mrs. Lovett costume, but I'm doing the "By the Sea" bathing suit, so I'm not much help as far as the dress/skirt goes.  But I did find some cool instructions for the hair.  Check this out:  

http://deathtoll1912.deviantart.com/art/Mrs-Lovett-Hair-Tutorial-77717506

and the finished product:

http://deathtoll1912.deviantart.com/art/Crazy-hair-ID-76852255

I just saved some close-up photos from the movie for make-up ideas.  This is the best that I've found (scroll to the middle to see the pic-I'm a newbie and can't post pics yet ):

http://forthebenefit.wordpress.com/2008/01/18/a-review-of-sweeney-todd/

Hope this helps, and good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dj_jammer506
x~Gay As A Rainbow is Bright~x

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008 03:27:54 PM »

The style of Victorian Dress Mrs. Lovett wears is consistant with the bustle era, so for the 'underpinings' you'd need a bustle.

Look them up and look for a cheap pattern, they're really easy to make so if need be pm me and I'll try to explain.

If you can find a good quality picture of the dress you want post it up here, or once again, pm it to me and I'll try to help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm looking for someone to do any Personal Swap with... PM Me if interested! Don't Be afraid!
graverobbergirl
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008 08:19:24 PM »

I don't know if it's possible to fenangle with this style skirt, but a cheap way to get volume under skirts is to use tulle instead of yard upon yard of more expensive fabric. I know you said you don't live near a Jo-Ann's, but I think they put the tulle on sale usually around Halloween. Maybe some other fabric/craft stores do, too. I think regularly priced, it's still cheaper than using many yards of a lining or other fabric to gather up.

Sorry I can't be much more helpful.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Duct tape? That stuff's a rip-off! I make my own tape."-Joe Garrelli, Newsradio

My Etsy

Just Another Crafting Blog
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Modern Horror: Mockumentary
How to Look Good on a TV Interview
Creating the Ideal Recording Environment
Watch, Pass, or Rent: The American & Going the Distance
Screenwriting Card Trick
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...