A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,522
Currently Running With Scissors:
663 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CHILD: The Very Hungry Caterpillar and Butterfly costumes  (Read 45572 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jccjcc
« on: November 02, 2007 12:38:47 PM »

My daughters went as the caterpillar and the "beautiful butterfly" from "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" book... 

The caterpillar costume was pretty simple and I was able to whip it up in one afternoon...  I based the shape off of her infant sleepsack.  I used yellow flannel for the lining/base, and the outside is a combo of cotton batik fabric and green splotchy-print cotton fabric.  I stuffed the sections of the caterpillar body with batting and added a zipper on the side and velcro at the shoulder for easy entry.   I also added elastic on the bottom for easy diaper access, but didn't end up needing it for the short time she was in costume.

I also realized that while in costume she would be riding in the stroller, and at 7 months, still needs the seatbelt to help keep her from sliding down Smiley  The original costume sack didn't really allow for the seatbelt, so I ended up making what were basically giant buttonholes in the back of the costume so that I could thread the seatbelt to the inside and it would still be hidden.

The butterfly costume was much more time-consuming, but fun to make.  I made her yellow dress based on a pink dress I got at a thrift store and took apart for a pattern.

The wings were tricky...  I was trying to recreate as closely as possible the butterfly in the book, and the wings are a specific shape... I ended up making 4 different sections with wire, reinforcing each section with a circle of wire taped inside (you can kind of see this circle in the sunlight in the photo of the two of them)...  I taped the wire sections together, then covered them with white nylons and attached wide ribbon straps.

I made the design of the wings using colored tissue paper and ModPodge... It's basically a big paper mache project Smiley  I really got a new appreciation for Eric Carle and his artwork!  It was fun and pretty simple, just very very time-consuming; cutting all of the individual shapes out and having to do the design 4 different times... right/left, front/back...  I was afraid it might be too heavy to be on my daughter's back, but it turned out to be just fine.

The hats were made using one of my old red stretchy maternity shirts that I pulled back out of a bag that was on its way to Goodwill... ha!  They were based off of one of my infant daughter's hats that has 2 big knots at the top... This allowed me to make antennae out of felt and just slip them over the big knots...

The costumes were a big hit... Most of the people thought my oldest daughter was just a very fancy butterfly, but as soon as they saw my infant daughter, you could see the lightbulb go off in their head as they realized it was the Very Hungry Caterpillar and Butterfly.  It was nice to have my hard work appreciated and enjoyed by those passing by Smiley

Thanks for letting me share!  It's kind of hard to spend a month's time working on a project only to have it be seen for a few hours, then put away in a box again!  I'm hoping maybe my youngest will be able to wear the butterfly costume in a few years   Smiley

--Jennifer

« Last Edit: December 30, 2007 12:21:12 AM by jccjcc » THIS ROCKS   Logged
sugarbeth
no such thing as too many projects!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007 03:07:55 PM »

Those are SUPER CUTE! You did a really great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Beth
crafty momma to Lilu and Toby
Martin Handmade Tile
craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007 03:46:14 PM »

So cute! What a great idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

klum78

Actual size shown

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007 04:35:50 PM »

What a great idea.  And you pulled it off wonderfully.  I love your daughter's wings, they look just like the ones in the book.  Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We are in the process of switching over to cloth diapers.  Would love some advice, hint, tips.   Will swap for diapers!
My etsy shop: KimberlyMade
Wisty Goodness
blue engine
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007 08:19:25 PM »

Wow, those are so great! You really captured that Eric Carle collage effect....(by doing collage, I guess, but still). It's too bad there's not a category for paired costumes, these two are good seperately but so wonderful together!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Coffy or bouncy, it's all the same at the bottom of the river.
Icemommy
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007 04:49:59 AM »

That is just too awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Moxigrl54
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007 10:37:52 AM »

Absolutely Adorable!!! I wish I would've seen this post before Halloween! My daughter's school has a literary parade each year for Halloween and each class picks a storybook and the entire class dresses up for the part! And this year her class chose th Very Hungry Caterpillar!!

Super cute costumes!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ReadingWench

It's all about the balance

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2007 09:39:58 PM »

That is the cutest costume I've seen this year!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
october.skies
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2007 07:11:12 PM »

What a great idea! Love the costumes and how they actually look like the pictures in the book! Great work!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hbisbee
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008 12:04:03 PM »

I would love to make this for my daughter and the cocoons for my sons (I would need 2) - can you please let me know exactly what I need..I'm crafty but inexperienced and would need some help to pull this off. 

I started looking for the wire for wings online but I didn't know what I needed.  Help please!

Or, if buying the one you made is an option, please let me know!

Hope to hear from you soon!

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Easy Pie Dough Recipe With Lard
How to Make New Orleans Gumbo
How to Barbecue Pork Spare Ribs Part 2
Back to School Lunch Ideas For Kids
Sneak Peek at Wild New Four Seasons Resort Restaurant
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...