A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,594
Currently Running With Scissors:
731 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 40
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hand Embroidered Patch Swap Gallery - Send before Nov-27  (Read 31502 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Beetastic
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2007 08:53:40 PM »

Wonderful job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rectangel
a right angle gone wrong

'once a square always a square'

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2007 11:30:47 PM »

oh my goodness...

Trifarina and Gatsby Girl you have both been busy!

Trifarina I love that girl so much I can hardly stand it ... I was reading along wondered who did the design read "Mitch O'Connell" smiled and thought oh I can sort of see that but I like this design better than some of the transfers when I read "plus she's wearing a shirt" and I promptly broke into a fit of laughter. It was a I am not alone moment.

GatsbyGirl wow! you are knocking them out of the park!  beautiful especially all the jewel tones together in the tail Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Going to Viva this year April 1-4!
Ezri_B
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2007 08:37:38 AM »

These are so great, are there any good tips on doing faces. I can't seem to make faces look like faces. I have redone a face I'm working on about 5 times. I am almost ready to scrap the whole thing and start over. I love the rest of the design, but the face... makes me sad.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kookaloo_Starr

the best things in life aren't things!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2007 08:40:02 AM »

I don't think I dare even try doing a face yet  Undecided when I draw faces they look wonky!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Use what talent you possess - the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best"

50 in '14
Beetastic
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2007 08:56:11 AM »

I have a hard time with faces too.  I never like what I do and I always hate the lips but I keep trying hoping one day they will turn out wonderful.   

My only hint is that use very few strands.  I normally only use 1 strand.  I know others here can give you better advice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rectangel
a right angle gone wrong

« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2007 09:07:53 AM »

mmm...I've done lots of faces now and what I've come to realize is you can't decide right after you do it if it's right...you have to leave it and come back to it because everything looks bad if you get too close to it.  I also try not to do the nose, eyes, eyebrows and mouth all at once because it is hard to decide which is off if you end up not liking it.

One strand all the way.  I find eyes the most challenging (to balance) but it helps to use a really dark color and outline with black...noses never look right but with them less is more (however if your skin color is really light sometimes it helps to use one shade darker for the nose)...lips are personal taste but pouting is easier than smiling generally...it helps to look at the proportions of things in terms of your own face too...the line of the eyebrow generally flows with the line of the nose...lips are only slightly wider than nose, etc. 

Hope that helps don't give up they do get easier Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

timpani~jax
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2007 09:14:37 AM »

The only way i can get a face to work is if it's quite big. I totally agree with the one strand, much easier to get the definition you want.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ezri_B
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2007 09:30:21 AM »

Thanks for the advice. I think the biggest problem I'm having is that it's a profile, but the face is actually quite small. So I don't think changing colors for the nose would look right, and really you won't see the lips at all, just a hint of a mouth. The eye sort of blends in, and it just looks like a mess of stitches with no real definition. I'd post it to ask all of your opinions, but I don't want the person I'm working on this for to know how much trouble I'm having  Embarrassed

I think I'll just leave it for a bit and see what I think later tonight. I'll probably ask hubby too. He's terribly good at pointing me in the right direction even though he couldn't/won't do anything like embroidery to save his life. (He does appreciate it though, just not his thing.)

Thanks again, and if there are any other pointers, I'm sure this won't be my last face! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SlickMariaVic
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2007 09:42:28 AM »

I finished my first patch the other day and after I removed it from the hoop and gave it a rinse to remove the markings I realized it was kinda wrinkly Sad I don't know if the fabric is too thin or if it actually shrank when I got it wet. I've never worked with the fabric before so I'm not sure. Its still great, I'm just a bit of a perfectionist. I think I'll put interfacing on the back on my next patch. What do you guys think?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That which is creative must create itself -" Keats

Pinterest
http://pinterest.com/slickmariavic/
rectangel
a right angle gone wrong

« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2007 09:52:23 AM »

STOP!  do not put interfacing on the back of your fabric patches it will wreck them and even if it doesn't once it's on you can't take it off...so they are permanently stiff and sometimes more wrinkly.

The patch looks lovely ...try not to fret about the wrinkles...steam helps take them out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 40 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Wild Hair Trends We Love From New York Fashion Week Fall 2011
Styling Ethnic Hair
Applying Toner to Ethnic Hair
How to Section Ethnic Hair for Coloring
Applying Highlights to Ethnic Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...