A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,468
Currently Running With Scissors:
404 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Drops 103-1 Jacket knitalong  (Read 7539 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kappatit
« on: November 01, 2007 08:34:21 PM »

http://www.garnstudio.com/lang/en/visoppskrift.php?d_nr=103&d_id=1

i TOTALLY want to knit this jacket.  u can knit it in worsted or bulky and 3/4 sleeves or long sleeves.  i see TONS of great jackets on ravelry (currently 121 projects!).  thing is, ive never knit an elizabeth zimmerman, drops or any patterns that aren't completely written out in ROW 1, ROW 2 form.  this is a MUCH more involved pattern that assumes u know how to knit.  im like an adv beginner.  also this would be my first seamed sweater...first anything bigger than a tank top really =T

i hear its easy but im having a hard time translating certain wording.  does anyone want to knit this with me, i will def need some support and id like to help anyone else!   i have the yarn and needles...and still have sizing and other issues.  any takers?! =)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007 08:38:11 PM by kappatit » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://harmonyknits.blogspot.com/ 

my first knitting blog =D
scapina
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007 09:26:34 PM »

that's pretty awesome, i might just take you up on it. Smiley but first i have to finish my twinkle hoodie......
THIS ROCKS   Logged
erikasewing
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007 10:01:59 PM »

Here's a link to someone who knitted it:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=196647.0

I would consider it myself, but I have 2 other sweaters to finish first!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eyeloveit
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007 05:22:38 AM »

I was hoping someone would start a KAL on this jacket!  I've been looking around for some other FOs.  I am just over halfway done with mine and I am doing the smaller gauge yarn variation, which I haven't seen anyone else do.  I hope I am happy with the drape of the fabric once its done.

As for the pattern, I was a little afraid of it when I read it because of the way its written.  It leaves a bit up to the knitter's interpretation, but I will say that it helps to constantly measure to make sure that you are doing it correctly.  It's turning out to be a pretty easy knit, but we'll have to see how the finished product looks!  This is a project that definitely requires blocking, even though the pattern doesn't mention the need to do this.
Good Luck and I hope to see some FOs!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog (in it's infancy!)
http://eyeloveit.blogspot.com
cvpham
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007 10:33:05 AM »

I have been eying this as well. This will be my first drops pattern and have a couple of questions...

If I did my math correctly, to make a medium 3/4 sleeve, I would need 14 balls of the eskimo yarn? (each ball is 50g I will need 700g)

Can anyone suggest alternative yarn options for the Drops Eskimo?

And then if I used a different type of yarn, how can I figure out how much I will need? In terms of yardage?

Thanks in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog: CraftyCathy
kappatit
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2007 02:55:27 PM »

the consensus (from me stalking other drops jackets) seems to be taht the grams....is actually yardage?  even tho it says u need like 14 balls, people knitting a large only seem to need 10.  there are 2 gauge's and the eskimo is the chunky one.  people are subbing laines du nord softlight and rowan yorkshire tweed chunky (which is what i have).  the worsted one seems to be easier to gauge.  i might use all seasons cotton.a LOT of people are using malabrigo for the smaller gauge... im unsure what gauge or size to do because im a size 10ish and i dont know if the chunky is going to be HUGE and incredibly heavy on me cuz its pure wool...not to mention make me look like a tweedy truck.

lastly im editing the pattern (for my ease) and i came across something i didn't understand.  someone (eyeloveit?) maybe wanna take a crack at it?

http://www.garnstudio.com/lang/en/visoppskrift.php?d_nr=103&d_id=1

Knit 2 rows of garter sts, and then 2 rows of Rib with 1 edge st and 2 K sts each side (seen from the RS) see explanation above.

this is under the back piece for the chunky version, which is the first/top one on the page.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2007 02:57:53 PM by kappatit » THIS ROCKS   Logged

cvpham
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007 10:13:14 AM »

I decided to wing it and am going with Bernat Alpaca Natural Blends. The gauge came out OK for me on size 8 needles for the Silke Alpaca instructions. It seems a bit large for the back piece but I'm only an inch into it so we'll see.

Knit 2 rows of garter sts, and then 2 rows of Rib with 1 edge st and 2 K sts each side (seen from the RS) see explanation above.

I was a little confused with that line too but I did this:
Knit 2 rows garter sts.
Next row (RS): sl 1, worked the 2x2 rib starting with k2. I ended the row with k3 (2 for rib and the one extra edge st).
Next row (WS): sl1, worked 2x2 rib and ended with p3 (2 for the rib and one extra edge st).

My guess is that the first and last sts (which I slipped) will be used to seam.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

eilene
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007 08:16:16 AM »

Do you slip 1 knitwise or purlwise?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Raw Dreams~
MAGENTABABY
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2007 08:32:09 AM »

Do you slip 1 knitwise or purlwise?

I slip knitwise.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007 08:32:26 AM by MAGENTABABY » THIS ROCKS   Logged
kappatit
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2007 08:24:09 PM »

thanks cvpham!  im continuing to edit the pattern for myself...i cant wait to see how yours progresses!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

eilene
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2007 05:57:03 AM »

Thanks MAGENTABABY!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Raw Dreams~
chirimoya
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2007 05:24:40 AM »

I finished this jacket a couple of weeks ago and love it. The only thing I would change next time, is to make the back longer - with knitting short rows - than the front. Since the jacket is quite short, the back rides up quite a bit.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
MAGENTABABY
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2007 06:07:50 AM »

What is MT 1(make thread) means on the pattern?  I just ignored and finished the fronts.  Hoply it doesn't give me trouble!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
iridescent
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2007 07:05:07 PM »

Are you referring to this line: "Insert 1 MT (marking thread) after the cast off sts."?

If so, I think "insert 1 MT" is the same as PM, that is, place marker. So place a stitch marker after the cast off stitches.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MAGENTABABY
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2007 08:31:40 PM »

Are you referring to this line: "Insert 1 MT (marking thread) after the cast off sts."?

If so, I think "insert 1 MT" is the same as PM, that is, place marker. So place a stitch marker after the cast off stitches.

Thank you!  I kind of figured later that that might be it.  Anyhow, I am now done with collars and just need to seam the sides.  Then btns!  I usually block before seaming but this time I have decided to block after.    Hope it fits!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MAGENTABABY
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2007 07:58:18 AM »

I am done!!!  kind of.  I still need to block, weave i ends and put btns.  I tried on and I am ok with it.  My seaming is a mess .  There's big bulk under my arm.  I love the collar though and it's very warm.Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kappatit
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2007 03:05:12 PM »

wow that was QUICK!  how long did it take?  is it heavy?  what did u use?  picture!  ahha so many questions
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MAGENTABABY
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2007 03:22:49 PM »

wow that was QUICK!  how long did it take?  is it heavy?  what did u use?  picture!  ahha so many questions

Well, it could have been done in a week but I wasn't working on it constantly so it took longer.  I used Debbie bliss cashmerino super chunky.  It's squish and warm.  Again, I still have to block and weave in ends which I won't do today:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cvpham
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2007 11:27:57 AM »

I'm about 3/4 completed with the front pieces (I'm doing both left and right at the same time to make sure the decreases match) but have noticed that the double moss sts part is coming out shorter then the ss part. As of now it's a good 2 inches shorter unless I stretch it out. Will blocking help it keep the length? I'm using bernat alpaca. Or is there some kind of magic that happens when it's finished and seamed up? Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MAGENTABABY
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2007 01:02:13 PM »

Okay I failed. Angry
I seamed, blocked it and it's too loose.  My sleeves are down to my knee and My seaming sucked. The jacket has the definite look of "I MADE THIS  LAST WEEKEND" .  Yuck.yuck, yuck.  But you know what?  I can't just pass up this "could have been a cutie" jkt.  I just have try again.  I used DB cashmeriono chunky.  Yarn is so soft  so I am going to frog it and make neck warmer or something.  I am going to order Malabrigo chunky in the More shocking color and try it again.  It's quick knit so I don't mind.  But it still sucks to have finished sweater that looks like washcloth.(worse than washcloth!)
Next one will be a winner!!!  I know it!!  ugh.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2007 01:09:49 PM by MAGENTABABY » THIS ROCKS   Logged
chirimoya
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2007 02:00:48 AM »

Oh, I feel for you. That really sucks. Chunky wool is great to knit with but sewing it together is so hard. Maybe you should try the version with the finer wool which I did and the jacket turned out great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MAGENTABABY
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2007 09:04:34 AM »

Did you guys use mattress stitch for seaming or just sewd edges together?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chirimoya
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2007 03:31:42 AM »

I used mattress stitch - for the first time and it worked out great. I am still having big problems sewing in arms to the body parts. I always have a hole somewhere....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mpower4
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2007 11:56:52 AM »

Hey.  I started this jacket about a month ago, and just found this thread.  Of course, I have had to put it down for Christmas presents, but I just picked it up again this week.  I am using a Paton's wool blend I got at Michael's.  Usually I try to stay away from anything with acrylic in it, but the color was so perfect I couldn't help myself.

So far I'm done with the back and the two front pieces, and will be starting on the sleeves as soon as I finish this damn blanket for my brother and his new wife.

I'll post pictures when I'm done.

Speaking of, why hasn't anyone who finished this posted pictures of it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MAGENTABABY
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2007 01:49:09 PM »

Hey.  I started this jacket about a month ago, and just found this thread.  Of course, I have had to put it down for Christmas presents, but I just picked it up again this week.  I am using a Paton's wool blend I got at Michael's.  Usually I try to stay away from anything with acrylic in it, but the color was so perfect I couldn't help myself.

So far I'm done with the back and the two front pieces, and will be starting on the sleeves as soon as I finish this damn blanket for my brother and his new wife.

I'll post pictures when I'm done.

Speaking of, why hasn't anyone who finished this posted pictures of it?

If you are in Ravelry, there are plenty of pics of finished jkt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mpower4
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2007 06:20:16 PM »

Gah!  I am still on the waiting list to get into Ravelry.  I am so jealous of everyone who has already made it in!  I probably only have a week left, but it is going to be a long week.  It sounds amazing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Radioactivepenquin
Cooler than String Cheese

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2007 12:57:33 AM »

I'm thinking of starting this for my first jacket/sweater type project. I have 7 skeins of Cascade 220 100% wool since I bought the pack off my friend who works at Cascade for cheap. And, I didn't want to drop a lot of money on yarn for my first jacket. If I really like it, I'll redo it in really nice yarn, maybe. :] Will this yarn be good?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Like always, but never like before.

Ravelry account: http://www.ravelry.com/people/RedeemArachne
kappatit
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2008 12:29:38 PM »

kinda gave up on it even before i started because i cant understand the pattern. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Silver Ilix
Up Late

Make your own way........

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2008 05:58:23 PM »

a blog-pal of mine has done it and finished it! find her pictures here
http://chrissythegreat.blogspot.com/2007/11/finished-drops-103-jacket.html

I asked her imediatally what it was and where I could get it!! I really love this pattern.... it is so on the list! I have some Cascade 220 in a purple blend, I would love to use! I guess we shall see when I get to it!

Love to see your pics gang! It's inspiring to see finished knits!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my knitting blog: www.uplatedesigns.blogspot.com

I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I had set him free. *Michanlengelo
krafty_kelly
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2008 07:42:04 AM »

I just finished knitting the worsted version of this.  It turned out really nice.  Its blocking right now.  I just have to find the right buttons and I'm all set.

Okay...here it is.  Not too bad eh?  I'm happy with it.  I knit it exactly as the pattern describes, except I did pick up extra stitches for the collar.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2008 04:15:18 PM by krafty_kelly » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Silver Ilix
Up Late

« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2008 11:37:55 AM »

krafty_kelly> That looks great! You are on fire right now! Didn't you just finish a Tilted Duster too! Wow gal you rock!
What did you use? Did you find any issues? Smiley LOL...... just to pick your brain Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I had set him free. *Michanlengelo
krafty_kelly
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2008 04:30:48 AM »

I did just finish the tilted duster!  Grin  My New Year's resolution is a sweater a month.  I'm on track!

I used Paton's classic merino.  Its  a little scratchy, but softened up nicely when blocked.  The good news is, it doesn't appear to be pilling!  The bad news is, this isn't a yarn to be worn next to the skin.  But since this is a jacket/cardi - this isn't really an issue.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tinytallgirl
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2008 07:51:12 PM »

I have malabrigo merino worsted in praline to go towards this.  That was a great idea to write everything out to your understanding before knitting.

I wish I knew how to do it from top to bottom to have less seaming.  Aye.  We shall see how this turns out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What the deuce?
Silver Ilix
Up Late

« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2008 09:33:21 PM »

krafty_kelly> Thanks for the info!! I was thinking of making something this year in the Patons CLassic.... always handy to have around!
They both look great BTW!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftycavy

Sammy 2006-2009

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2008 06:21:21 AM »

I finished mine last month. It's knit in Malabrigo on size 9s. I used canarysactuary's modifications for knitting it in the round. I love it!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wheeek! wheeeek! add me on ravelry: craftycavy
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Happy, Happy, Happy With Phil Robertson
Tim Federle Q&A
Tim Federle Reading Better Nate
Your Network Is Your Net Worth by Porter Gale
The Program by Suzanne Young
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...