A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,223
Currently Running With Scissors:
411 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: favorite TX thrift stores?  (Read 15881 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dahilia
« on: December 22, 2004 10:11:09 PM »

I'm working on compiling a guide of TX thrift stores. It's a big state, and I need help. If you have any in your area you want to tell me about, please post them here (even just the name and town would be helpful). I have Austin, San Marcos, and Bryan/College Station covered at this point.

Thanks for any help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
erindezeeuw

How am I not myself?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2004 06:58:41 AM »

YAY!

In Garland, which is near Dallas, there's VALUE WORLD. There's another Value World in Mesquite. They ROCK THE CASBAH. Lake June Thrift Store in Mesquite is not so hot, Balch Springs Thrift Store (in Balch Springs) sucks, and there's a Goodwill by the Garland Value World, but it's way expensive. I think those are all the ones on my "circuit".
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This may be for sale on my etsy:
creme-tangerine

myspace

How am I not myself?
sasto
I am too a queen--my pantyhose say so!

God save the queen-sized!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2004 08:34:13 AM »

Rethreads in Lewisville, Salvation Army on Harry Hines (Dallas), there's a great one on 18th & Ave K in Plano maybe Plano Thrift?, Family Thrift in Denton--these are my favs. You might start with switchboard.com for a list & then work from there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's all true.
(Except of course, for the lies.)
Lorin

live fast, die pretty

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2005 06:37:16 PM »

Treasure Box thrift store on K in Plano.
it's really cool. During my officer candidate school last summer i'd walk there every day during luch Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

_Lorin
butterflyvertigo
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2005 10:10:28 AM »

I know that you aren't talking about Goodwills... but!

The Goodwill in Waco off of I-35 at Valley Mills is the best Goodwill to go to in Texas (and I've shopped at quite a few, throughout DFW, Waco, Austin and San Antonio). The reason why I say this is because they have quite a bit of high end stuff from all of the rich people at Baylor who are doing good deeds for people like us. They also seem to have an agreement with many national chains that are located in Waco, so they will get those $7 target earrings for 1.49. Tommy Hilfiger (ok, so I don't even like TH, I can't spell it) socks for a buck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
natashafatale

HQ, my hat looks like a muffin. Over.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2005 10:14:52 AM »

Houston has TONS of good ones. For super-cheap thrift stores, Savers, Retropolis and Value Village are good. For higher quality vintage stuff, The Way We Wore is my favorite.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

* * Gritty Knits! * *
Handspun yarn, spinning fiber, stitch markers & knitting accessories
LivinEasy

Eat Cheese. Be Happy.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2005 12:34:09 PM »

Oh you have to put the Style Depot...one of the most fantabulous stores in the Texas by far...just north of Waco off of 35. The lady who runs the place is the coolest and has the best selection of pearl snap shirts you'll ever find.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

LivinEasy

Eat Cheese. Be Happy.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2005 12:44:26 PM »

I knew I had seen a couple more in the Dallas observer I always wanted to check out...I can't give first hand experience to go along with these two but I have a feeling anything described as the 'nexus of the world for thrifters' can't be all bad.

1) In Dallas at Gus Thomasson Road and Ferguson Road 

"The corner of Gus Thomasson and Ferguson roads is the nexus of the world for thrifters. The shopping centers on each corner hold three cool secondhand stores: Value World Thrift, Ferguson Thrift and Casa View Thrift. These aren't nicely organized, well-ventilated Goodwills--you need some grit to dig through shelves of old Christmas decorations and worn-out shoes to find that one treasure. And with the enormous variety of items, that treasure just might be a vintage Christian Dior shower wrap, tags still attached; an authentic Army-drab knapsack; or a black leather biker's jacket. Plus, a wee drive back to Garland Road will land you on another thrift store-rich strip--check out Garland Road Thrift and 2 Friends Resale for more used goodies"

2) Bon Ton Vintage (I know this is different than a Thrift Store but it sounded so cool I didn't want to leave it out)

"This place is so great--better than just best--that we feel as though we're violating a sacred oath by telling people about it. We're pretty sure we're not, but we still have mixed emotions about doing so. See, if we tell people, they might buy something we want before we have the chance. On the other hand, if enough people buy things, the store will stay open, so we can keep shopping there. It's a double-edged sword, which, by the way, we think we saw there for sale. Bon Ton is a vintage wonderland, a weathered general store building with books, framed art, baseball pennants, knickknacks, children's clothing and other detritus on the ground floor, watched over by a white-haired man in suspenders and Converse. His wife keeps shop upstairs in the retro-clothing gold mine with everything from old military and marching band uniforms to every piece of women's clothing needed for a Hitchcock film, including dainty sheer stockings, feathered hats and demure dresses. 'Round back in a separate storefront, their daughter keeps the groovy '60s and '70s shop with Nixon campaign buttons, mushroom-print dishes and a Hollie Hobbie tea set. We've never walked out empty-handed; nor should anyone else. It's worth the hour drive south. (It's past Waxahachie.)"
THIS ROCKS   Logged

erindezeeuw

How am I not myself?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2005 01:19:36 PM »

Ooh! That Gus Thomasson and Ferguson Value World is the one I'm talking about!
But honestly, I've never been too impressed with the Ferguson and Casa View Thrift.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This may be for sale on my etsy:
creme-tangerine

myspace

How am I not myself?
greenteeyed

"So she dates the undertaker"

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2005 09:43:32 PM »

i live just outside Houston, and in houston off I-10 or I-45 (or something) is a thrift store called: Blessed Again Thrift Store. i really like that place b/c it has a buttload of stuff. also, there is a Goodwill superstore just down about 5 miles from Blessee Again.

--s-- Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"summertime the taste of saint secretes perfume mist console the mind i take it in the lips of ink i kiss"

'love is a game i'd love to play with you'
8:10
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2005 10:45:55 PM »

I'll vouch for the Bon Ton Shop outside of Waxahachie.  That place rocks!  Definitely worth the drive!  It is hands down the best vintage shop I've ever been to- and the fact that it's out in the middle of nowhere (it literally is in a town one block long) somehow even makes it cooler.  The upstairs level contains a fantastic selection of vintage clothes, but they're not all bargains.  Most are in near perfect condition, so they cost more - no thrift store prices.  But for what they were, I thought the pieces were worth it.  (More women's items than men's when I was there.)  I think they sell a lot of things to movie stylists - I stumbled onto this shop from a listing in an area film production guide.  They also have a nice selection of old books, records, and misc. stuff.  Go check it out, you won't be disappointed!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Leylia

Given enough coffee, I could rule the world.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2005 09:15:42 AM »

OMG!  Erin, I live RIGHT down the street from those thrift stores in Garland.  There are two pretty good ones at Garland and uh...Kingsley?  No....Yes.  Maybe.  Across the street from that really old cemetary, and there's an Aaron's Rental place.  But one is just called "Thrift Store" and the other (less impressive) one is The Salvation Army.

I'm also a fan of Vikon Village, a flea market at Jupiter and Kingsley, which if nothing else is full of bizarre stuff to gain inspiration from.  There's also another good one on Garland Road, but I can't remember what it's called.  It used to be the Lone Star Bazaar, I think.

AND HELLO, BUCHANON'S!  Tell me everyone here goes to Buchanon's EVERY MONTH.  You NEVER know what kind of cool crap you're going to find there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kindness isn't dead.  Promise.

R.I.P. Brett (1982-2007)
k.marsh!
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2005 01:13:54 AM »

there's a thirftstore in lewisville where i got a framed picture of the pope from the 60's.. it's called "resale", off of 121 business.

as far as vintage stores go, there's pandemonium off of henderson/knox in dallas, buffalo exchange off of greenville ave (some vintage), & loose threads & left handed monkey in denton. there's another in dallas near bill's records & tapes.. i can't think of the name, but there's another one somewhere downtown.

then ofcourse there's always thrifttown, psshh.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
OurJuliet
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2005 11:09:44 PM »

In Ft. Worth, we've got McCart Thrift that rocks.  It's very close to a super-rich district with lots of primadonnas who drop their clothes off there.  It's a hidden secret b/c you really, really have to be willing to dig...but man, is it worth it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
joyofcraft

How Hard Can it Be?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2005 02:22:56 PM »

I always score something cool at "Thrift Town" in River Oaks.  (north of Fort Worth)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lisa the Diva
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2005 06:44:42 PM »

.THRIFT WORLD.
It is in Lewisville off of Main Street next to Big Lots
THIS ROCKS   Logged

humblestumble
Craftster enhances life.

Retro crafty.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2005 06:58:18 PM »

Well the thrift stores here in Corpus suck so far that I know. It's on Ayers down the freeway, and there's a goodwill on Kostoryz. I mean, sometimes there's good stuff. But I guess like with anything else you gotta look. I like Austin more, but unfortunately I don't live there and don't know streets.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.amschwengler.com

http://craftster.ourtoolbar.com <-- I made a Craftster toolbar for us obsessed Craftster members

"Takes 2 steps to get up and one to fall down."
evilpeach
Awesome Extraordinaire

sweet relief

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2005 12:28:30 PM »

I'm going to put in another vote for Treasure Box in Plano, that one rocks. There is also a Sal Army store in Garland with another just "thrift store" down the walk. I believe it's just on North Garland Road.. I'm not sure if the road name changes before or after the shops

edit: haha... already posted, man I'm lame
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://nerdbomber.etsy.com

check it out... maaaaaan
The Meow Wont Purr
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Valerian Aquarian

All Is Full Of Love

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2005 10:37:55 PM »

Oh you have to put the Style Depot...one of the most fantabulous stores in the Texas by far...just north of Waco off of 35. The lady who runs the place is the coolest and has the best selection of pearl snap shirts you'll ever find.
Yes! We try to stop every time we drive SA to Denton. They are so friendly and make wonderful conversation. Sometimes we forget to look at stuff....which there is lots and lots of. Awesome place.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"To be matter of fact about the world is to blunder into fantasy -- and dull fantasy at that, as the real world is strange and wonderful." --Robert A. Heinlein
mor chaos
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2005 11:34:42 AM »

Houston~ Theres a bunch i love off of Westhimer. I think it*s actually before Montrose, but everyone i know just calls it "Montrose". They have Taxi Taxi and Leopard Lounge (which have this "hollar for a dollar" thing every 2nd sunday of the month. On the porch, they have mounds of clothes for $1!! And i*ve found some cool stuff!! last weekend, i went for a pair of jeans to make into a bag, and i found some L.E.I.s that were my size and when i got home, they actually fit me pretty good!!! L.E.I. Jeans for $1.. Can anyone beat that deal?) Any ways, Buffalo Exchange, Wish (brand-new CHEAP), Recycle, Clothing exchange... ummm.. well, thats all i can think of for now.
oh, and i know someone said something about Value Village... Where exactly is that!! i*ve been meaning on finding out!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Live life with no regrets~!
CrazeeMoi
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2005 08:33:28 AM »

"Hannahs"  in Grand Prairie.   The proceeds go to the women' abuse center.  I love that place!!  They have a  3bin 25cent each thingy,  I buy lots of stuff from that to re use for the fabric for purses.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eterry2
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2005 09:16:15 PM »

love value village.  there are many. 

23rd and shepherd acrross from Fiesta
Little York, just west of 59
pasadena
bellaire?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ERPilly
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2005 09:35:45 PM »

I live right between Houston and Austin (gotta go to Houston  Wink) and I second the ones mentioned already, but I also love small town shops!  The antique stores of course have tons of great stuff, but why do they have to be sooo expensive?!  I don't go to Goodwill--, they always charge at least twice as much as they should, and the money goes to red tape... Don't get me started.  I like the Faith Mission in Brenham, called Higgins Branch.  Tons of clothes, for 25 cents to a dollar, even got a pair of like-new shoes there for $1.  I get tons of kids clothes, books, kitchen wares, belts, purses, games, oh so many things there! They even give some stuff away when you buy things.  CHEAP, and they money goes directly to the mission for homeless shelter, domestic violence victims, etc.  I also give all our unneeded stuff there.  Also in town is the "Thrift Store" store, almost all clothes, and GOOD stuff, too.  Great prices, about $1-5 for anything.  They run an end-of-the-month sale every so often, where everything is 50% off or more.  Once found a three shirts for a dollar sale.  Can't beat it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Katie Mutated
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2005 10:34:44 AM »

Thrift Town near Hurst is the only one Ive been to in Texas so far.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"But time's a-wasting and evil's out there making hand-crafted mischief for the swap meet of villainy" - The Tick
TheThriftShopper.Com
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2006 12:02:25 PM »

I have a national directory of thrift stores. I hope this helps..

http://www.thethriftshopper.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't forget to look in your local thrift stores for your crafting supplies. Please check out my national directory of thrift stores at www.TheThriftShopper.Com for your shopping convenience.
mrs67november

The Japanese Cajun

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2006 12:52:13 PM »

there's a thirftstore in lewisville where i got a framed picture of the pope from the 60's.. it's called "resale", off of 121 business.

This one is called "Resale by CCA" and it is definitely my favorite thrift store of all!  There's an isle with nothing but craft supplies and some of them are down right vintage.  I've bought a quite few vintage crewel kits for a couple bucks each or less.  I check this store at least once a week to make sure I don't miss out on any good stuff.  CCA also has two more locations, one on Main Street in The Colony, and the other on Mill Street in Lewisville where their organization headquarter is located.  The one on Mill Street is their version of 'discount store' and I believe everything in the store is under two bucks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aaronbc
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2006 11:38:17 AM »

pandemonium in Dallas, TX now has a website http://www.pandemoniumltd.com but they haven't added many products to the site compared to what's available in the store.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
justjenn81

Sitting in my corner of Texas!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2006 06:16:30 AM »

I really like the New Beginnings Resale Shop in Garland off of Buckingham as well as Texas Thrift which is off of Walnut.  There of course there is Thrift City 2 off of First St. and then the Salvation Army Thrift Store off of Garland Rd.  All of these are within about 5 miles of me and I love them each.  I do like the Goodwill on Shiloh and Buckingham because it gets a lot of Target things and I love Target.  In fact, yesterday I got a blanket there that my hubby and I had registered for last spring to get for our wedding ($60 at Target) and I only paid $14.99.  I was doing a happy dance of course.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yonirose
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2007 06:22:05 AM »

So I'm new to the area of San Antonio .I actually live  on an airforce base. If you can get on the base. The thrift stores are pretty eclectic .With family's moving every three years we also tend to get rid of items  often .You find items from Japan Germany Iraq,you name it .  San Antonio is the first base where I found mini little thrift store outside the gates of our base. Most of them also sell tones of trinkets ,fabric ,jewelry from the many military travels .Whatever the case in or off the base here in San Antonio we have 3 or 4 bases .I will venture out and get back to you on the other locations.

yonirose

THIS ROCKS   Logged
helloklementyne
As clear as an unmuddied lake, Sir.

Horrorshow my dear.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2007 11:28:37 AM »

the montrose area in houston has tons of thrifty places.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hey, hey, mama, said the way you move, gonna make you sweat, gonna make you groove.
kerryberry33
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2008 08:26:09 PM »

The Goodwill Super-store by the Northeast Mall is pretty awesome.  I even found a whole bunch of fabric there once!
Also, "Graceful Buys" in Grapevine is small but reasonably priced and you can find some pretty neat stuff. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my blog!
www.kerrysews.blogspot.com
michowl
Michowl Designs

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2008 06:04:57 PM »

way out here in el paso we have a lot of goodwills, but a really good one is called the Alameda Thrift Center. A lot of books, clothing, and knick knacks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

helloklementyne

Horrorshow my dear.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2008 06:11:27 PM »

way out here in el paso we have a lot of goodwills, but a really good one is called the Alameda Thrift Center. A lot of books, clothing, and knick knacks.
Oh!
Can I get directions? (I go to El Paso frequently and was wondering about any thrifty places.)
Is is on the East or West side?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hey, hey, mama, said the way you move, gonna make you sweat, gonna make you groove.
michowl
Michowl Designs

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2008 06:53:36 PM »

Here is the place.
Family Thrift Center
7108 Alameda Avenue
El Paso, TX 79915
It is more east, more lower valley actually.  Eventhough it is a thrift store, they have different 50% off deals, depending on the day you go!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

helloklementyne

Horrorshow my dear.

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2008 01:06:26 PM »

Aww cool thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

McJulie-O
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2008 06:53:07 AM »

Just FYI for right now in New Braunfels:
If you need books or records, or maps, or videotapes,  this is your chance to collect up lots of stuff cheap at the Friends of the Library book sale in New Braunfels this coming Friday and Saturday, Oct 24 and 25; see this thread http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=274976.0 for hours and particulars.

This year there are especially a lot of children's books of all vintages, tons of craft magazines and quite a few craft booklets and magazines, vintage and otherwise. It's hard to tell how fast it will all move, but whatever is left will go in the bag sale on Saturday afternoon.

I just didn't want ya'll to miss out on some good deals.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn About Hair Cutting Tools
Learn About Hair Drying Tools
How to Care for Relaxed Hair
How to Pick a Good Curling Iron or Flat Iron
How to Create a Fancy Side Pony Tail
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...