A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,762
Currently Running With Scissors:
415 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: favorite TX thrift stores?  (Read 15673 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dahilia
« on: December 22, 2004 10:11:09 PM »

I'm working on compiling a guide of TX thrift stores. It's a big state, and I need help. If you have any in your area you want to tell me about, please post them here (even just the name and town would be helpful). I have Austin, San Marcos, and Bryan/College Station covered at this point.

Thanks for any help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
erindezeeuw

How am I not myself?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2004 06:58:41 AM »

YAY!

In Garland, which is near Dallas, there's VALUE WORLD. There's another Value World in Mesquite. They ROCK THE CASBAH. Lake June Thrift Store in Mesquite is not so hot, Balch Springs Thrift Store (in Balch Springs) sucks, and there's a Goodwill by the Garland Value World, but it's way expensive. I think those are all the ones on my "circuit".
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This may be for sale on my etsy:
creme-tangerine

myspace

How am I not myself?
sasto
I am too a queen--my pantyhose say so!

God save the queen-sized!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2004 08:34:13 AM »

Rethreads in Lewisville, Salvation Army on Harry Hines (Dallas), there's a great one on 18th & Ave K in Plano maybe Plano Thrift?, Family Thrift in Denton--these are my favs. You might start with switchboard.com for a list & then work from there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's all true.
(Except of course, for the lies.)
Lorin

live fast, die pretty

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2005 06:37:16 PM »

Treasure Box thrift store on K in Plano.
it's really cool. During my officer candidate school last summer i'd walk there every day during luch Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

_Lorin
butterflyvertigo
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2005 10:10:28 AM »

I know that you aren't talking about Goodwills... but!

The Goodwill in Waco off of I-35 at Valley Mills is the best Goodwill to go to in Texas (and I've shopped at quite a few, throughout DFW, Waco, Austin and San Antonio). The reason why I say this is because they have quite a bit of high end stuff from all of the rich people at Baylor who are doing good deeds for people like us. They also seem to have an agreement with many national chains that are located in Waco, so they will get those $7 target earrings for 1.49. Tommy Hilfiger (ok, so I don't even like TH, I can't spell it) socks for a buck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
natashafatale

HQ, my hat looks like a muffin. Over.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2005 10:14:52 AM »

Houston has TONS of good ones. For super-cheap thrift stores, Savers, Retropolis and Value Village are good. For higher quality vintage stuff, The Way We Wore is my favorite.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

* * Gritty Knits! * *
Handspun yarn, spinning fiber, stitch markers & knitting accessories
LivinEasy

Eat Cheese. Be Happy.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2005 12:34:09 PM »

Oh you have to put the Style Depot...one of the most fantabulous stores in the Texas by far...just north of Waco off of 35. The lady who runs the place is the coolest and has the best selection of pearl snap shirts you'll ever find.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

LivinEasy

Eat Cheese. Be Happy.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2005 12:44:26 PM »

I knew I had seen a couple more in the Dallas observer I always wanted to check out...I can't give first hand experience to go along with these two but I have a feeling anything described as the 'nexus of the world for thrifters' can't be all bad.

1) In Dallas at Gus Thomasson Road and Ferguson Road 

"The corner of Gus Thomasson and Ferguson roads is the nexus of the world for thrifters. The shopping centers on each corner hold three cool secondhand stores: Value World Thrift, Ferguson Thrift and Casa View Thrift. These aren't nicely organized, well-ventilated Goodwills--you need some grit to dig through shelves of old Christmas decorations and worn-out shoes to find that one treasure. And with the enormous variety of items, that treasure just might be a vintage Christian Dior shower wrap, tags still attached; an authentic Army-drab knapsack; or a black leather biker's jacket. Plus, a wee drive back to Garland Road will land you on another thrift store-rich strip--check out Garland Road Thrift and 2 Friends Resale for more used goodies"

2) Bon Ton Vintage (I know this is different than a Thrift Store but it sounded so cool I didn't want to leave it out)

"This place is so great--better than just best--that we feel as though we're violating a sacred oath by telling people about it. We're pretty sure we're not, but we still have mixed emotions about doing so. See, if we tell people, they might buy something we want before we have the chance. On the other hand, if enough people buy things, the store will stay open, so we can keep shopping there. It's a double-edged sword, which, by the way, we think we saw there for sale. Bon Ton is a vintage wonderland, a weathered general store building with books, framed art, baseball pennants, knickknacks, children's clothing and other detritus on the ground floor, watched over by a white-haired man in suspenders and Converse. His wife keeps shop upstairs in the retro-clothing gold mine with everything from old military and marching band uniforms to every piece of women's clothing needed for a Hitchcock film, including dainty sheer stockings, feathered hats and demure dresses. 'Round back in a separate storefront, their daughter keeps the groovy '60s and '70s shop with Nixon campaign buttons, mushroom-print dishes and a Hollie Hobbie tea set. We've never walked out empty-handed; nor should anyone else. It's worth the hour drive south. (It's past Waxahachie.)"
THIS ROCKS   Logged

erindezeeuw

How am I not myself?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2005 01:19:36 PM »

Ooh! That Gus Thomasson and Ferguson Value World is the one I'm talking about!
But honestly, I've never been too impressed with the Ferguson and Casa View Thrift.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This may be for sale on my etsy:
creme-tangerine

myspace

How am I not myself?
greenteeyed

"So she dates the undertaker"

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2005 09:43:32 PM »

i live just outside Houston, and in houston off I-10 or I-45 (or something) is a thrift store called: Blessed Again Thrift Store. i really like that place b/c it has a buttload of stuff. also, there is a Goodwill superstore just down about 5 miles from Blessee Again.

--s-- Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"summertime the taste of saint secretes perfume mist console the mind i take it in the lips of ink i kiss"

'love is a game i'd love to play with you'
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Enjoy a Fried Chicken Dinner at Oyster Palace in Washington, DC
How to Make Bacon and Maple Baked Beans
Healthy Chia and Buckwheat Cereal
How to Grill the Perfect Burger with Chef Jamie Purviance
The Difference Between BBQ And Grilling
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...