A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,965
Currently Running With Scissors:
660 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My rather offensive costume ..not for the faint of heart  (Read 22822 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sookie74
« on: November 01, 2007 03:25:01 PM »

Howdy all. One of the reasons why we try to keep discussions on the topic of crafts and is that sometimes emotions run high and we get flooded with requests from people who want these discussions squashed and lambasted by others who strongly feel they shouldn't be stopped.

There are some things in life that people will never agree on. And for this reason I think we all need to just ease off of debates like this and focus on what we can all agree on... Crafts!

Please don't voice any more opinions on your pro or anti abortion stance.  If you don't have anything to say about this costume from a crafting perspective, than just leave this thread alone.

Thank you.
-- The Craftster Admin (Leah)

So the story behind this costume goes as follows:

I went into a local "Lovers" store to buy condoms and saw that half the store was "sexy profession" costumes. sexy construction worker, sexy cop, sex pirate, etc. No big deal, it's been getting worse each year. But then I went home and checked the mail. There was some junk inserts from a local costume store and they had pics of the little girls costumes...and they looked JUST LIKE the adults! Little girls as naughty witches in form-fitting dresses, corsets and fishnets. I was disgusted. First child pagents; now halloween!  It's a pedophile's paradise!

So I got my costume idea... take the most offensive profession I could think of and make it "sexy" to knock on all the sexy costumes out there. I came up with "sexy abortionist/black-market stem cell dealer". I wore my own lingerie, fishnets and high heels. Bought a lab coat and covered it in blood and some wire hanger drawings. Made a wire hanger necklace with a red bead and some sharpie blood. made a hospital ID for my character's name "Dr Bebe Keeler, MD" and the best part...I made little fetuses out of Crayola Model Magic, covered them in fake blood and put them in baggies labeled "stem cells $10"

People who saw them were thoroughly disgusted. And my point was made... I think Smiley

ETA additional explanation: Seeing the girls' costumes was what made me realize the whole "sexy" thing was getting ridiculous.  I wasn't specifically trying to make the statement about the little girls' costumes as I was pointing out that the "sexy profession" costume was getting out of control. It was just seeing that it was reaching to young girls' costumes that made me want to poke fun at the whole idea of "sexy" in random professions and other typical halloween costumes.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007 01:27:30 PM by sookie74 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

madannevain17
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007 03:29:44 PM »

You. Are. The. Coolest. Person.

I'm definitely not either pro-choice or pro-life, but I think you definitely made a point about trashy halloween costumes.

Rock on
THIS ROCKS   Logged

honorablemention

though shalt not move to the sound of wickedness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007 03:31:56 PM »

that is so fantastic. i was completely blown away by the number of third grade girls dressed as slutty nurses or pirates or whatever that came to my house for trick or treat. iit's completely innappropriate and really sad those costumes are even made for little girls. this was a great idea. excellent job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

personal swaps please!
jezzyloo
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007 03:32:46 PM »

i LOOOOVE this! what a fantastic idea to make a point!

that clothes hanger necklace is really cute lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
missapril
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007 03:33:39 PM »

brilliant!!  What a great play on all the stupid cookie cutter "sexy" costumes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xoxo - April
mama and missus :: as of 7/19 and 8/15

i have a wist
Ilovemystarbursts
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007 03:33:58 PM »

you are so awesome. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sookie74
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007 03:36:39 PM »

haha thanks guys! I figured if my mom was able to laugh at it, I was gonna be fine. She saw me with the babies pre-blood and she said "what you got there? Marshmallows?" when I told her they were aborted fetuses she cracked up!

The best part of the evening was tossing the sacks into the crowd randomly and watching people's reactions. They feel soft and creepy!  The other side of my medical bag had one of those "baby on board" stickers! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FairyFemme

Avoiding the temptation to join another swap!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2007 03:41:33 PM »

Okay...this is the best costume I have seen.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

The reward for conformity was that everyone liked you except yourself.
--Rita Mae Brown, Venus Envy

Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
--Martin Luther King Jr., Letter from Birmingham Jail, April 16, 1963
rhoticity
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2007 03:47:05 PM »

I love you. If I'd seen you in real life, I seriously would have given you a hug.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Look, I've shrunk it! BY THE MAGIC OF XEROGRAPHY." -my sociolinguistics professor

wisty.
mi-mi-mia!

Uh oh! What's that?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2007 03:49:54 PM »

You did a great job, I am thoroughly disgusted! Ewww, little hanger (great idea!!!)! Glad somebody else out there said it, it's disgusting how sexualized children (and, of course, society) are becoming. Great job on your costume. That being said, glad I didn't have to see it in person!!!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Vegetarian Kuay Diu Soup Part 1/2
How to Make Vegetarian Kuay Diu Soup Part 2/2
How to Make a Bean Sprout Stir Fry
How to Make a Traditional Curry
Hand Roll Sushi
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...