A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,071
Currently Running With Scissors:
753 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My rather offensive costume ..not for the faint of heart  (Read 22005 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thankyoulocust
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2007 07:05:41 AM »

Cool costume. I share your sense of humor and I think you did a good job of mocking Slutty Halloweentm.

Also, all you deep thinkers for the sensitive types --  I'm pretty sure Craftster is about crafts, and if you want to discuss reproductive rights, I'm sure you can find somewhere else on the internet to do so. I'd hate to see this thread spiral into yet another passionate debate about abortion and watch her humourous costume get buried in a wave of politics and morality.

And Original Youth, I bet I can tell you why sookie didn't do any of your ideas: Its Halloween and people like to wear costumes. Sometimes they are tasteless, kind of like slutty pre-teen devil. She didn't go into the costume looking to make a statement about abortion, I thought that was pretty clear.

Yeah, Craftster IS for crafts, but if you post something, you have to know that you're asking for feedback and that all of that feedback may not be positive.  That being said, everyone who had any negative feedback made sure to state their opinions in a respectful and non-judgmental manner.  That's more than I can say for the condescending and rude tone of your post.  Where's the rule in Craftster that says you can only post if you're going to say how much you just love something?  Last time I checked, the 1st amendment was still intact and that gives people the right to disagree with something just as much as it gave sookie74 the right to start this thread in the first place.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Yeah we don't take orders well.  Unless they're to get on the dance flo'.  Or raise the roof.  Or make some NOIZE...with a Z!"
jennyvier
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2007 07:28:55 AM »

Oh man - that's just awesome. I adore the little necklace. Nice touch.

Also, it makes me feel a little better about my Halloween costume for next year.

My husband and I are planning on getting pregnant sometime soon and if my pregnancy goes over Halloween, then my plan is to zombie myself up and then make a prosthetic zombie baby and have him/her 'tearing' out of my womb and through my t-shirt with it's little zombie arms outstretched.

Horrible/Terrific, yes?  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spaz2phreek
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2007 07:49:56 AM »

So I'll be honest, my first thought was "oh, that's just tacky & inappropriate" but I gave it a chance and actually read about it. Now I get it and like it so much better. Way to make a statement.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craft till it hurts.
washu
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2007 08:58:15 AM »

Yeah, Craftster IS for crafts, but if you post something, you have to know that you're asking for feedback and that all of that feedback may not be positive.  That being said, everyone who had any negative feedback made sure to state their opinions in a respectful and non-judgmental manner.  That's more than I can say for the condescending and rude tone of your post.  Where's the rule in Craftster that says you can only post if you're going to say how much you just love something?  Last time I checked, the 1st amendment was still intact and that gives people the right to disagree with something just as much as it gave sookie74 the right to start this thread in the first place.

I am very impressed by everyone's nonjudgmental remarks.  It just goes to show you how great a forum Craftster is.  I'm pretty sure, though, that the First Amendment does not apply to speech on Craftster.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sookie74
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2007 09:05:54 AM »

I think for me what was offensive wasnt the costume itself (which is actually really original and kind of funny) but the wording of your post, the most offensive profession I could think of and The reason why I chose a particularly offensive profession Your views are absolutely your right, but for me the most offensive profession that I can think of is a professional Right to Life protester bombing Planned Parenthood clinics!

I can see your point there. Again, it's just poor communication on my part. When I wrote "offensive costume" I meant the fact that I had fake dead babies in blood. People might be bothered by that, although most ended up being quite amused. By "offensive profession" I meant the fact that so many people don't seem to believe in the positive aspects of those in that profession. I suppose "offensive" wasn't the best wording to pick.  And honestly, I don't see Right to life protesters and bombers as professions. Of course, I don't know any personally so I don't know if that's all they do all day and get paid for.

Unless you explained your reasoning to every single person you met, I doubt anyone would see your point.

which I did. I explained myself a lot while I was out. So anyone who cared enough to ask why the hell I was dressed like that got a thorough explanation.  Smiley

Also, I think part of the problem is when I posted this, I didn't feel like rambling on and on about all of my intentions behind it. So whomever said I should've just posted it minus the explanation is probably correct. I do find it funny that from what very little was said people would assume I was a pro-lifer. And some who chose to send me private messages are waaaaay off mark. But I'll just chalk that up to poor explanation and poor delivery on my part.

Maybe I could've come up with a better tactic on getting my point across with the costume. But in all honesty, I had a completely different costume planned until the day before. I was going to be an LA plastic surgery chick but changed my mind at the last minute. So perhaps if I had thought about it more, it would've come out with a more obvious statement. Still, I did explain to anyone who wanted to listen about what the costume was supposed to mean. The only person who was confused was some random guy who wanted to explain the actual stem cell process. I told him I wasn't trying to be quite so literal. Besides, making stem cells wasn't as funny to me as making babies, sorry, dude.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2007 09:27:29 AM by sookie74 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

allyinthevalley
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2007 09:23:04 AM »

When I first saw this post, I didn't think much of it. I figured, "Okay, she's trying to make a point. Not what I would do, but okay for her to try anyway." But I didn't think she was trying to be political either way about it. (If she was, she wasn't doing a good job, as people on both sides of the debate have been offended.) So now it just makes me really, REALLY sad because everybody is coming in and standing up for their point of view and arguing and... Trust me, I have a VERY strong opinion on abortion, and I'm not afraid to get VERY worked up about it, but I don't want to get into it on Craftster. This is supposed to be the happy place in my day... Can't this post be deleted or something?  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

OhSweetNuthin
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2007 09:37:48 AM »

Nice.

Though I know this was not your intention, I like that this costume has stirred up feelings. Too many people are completely apathetic these days, or scared to death to utter anything even resembling an opinion in public.

Also, I agree with your original point in one sense, that the sexualization of children is an extremely disturbing trend in our times. It should not be done, and it's so disheartening to see thongs for nine year olds.

What I think is a bigger problem though, is the way that promiscuity carries a much bigger stigma for women than for men. I completely agree that 1000 slutty nurse and cop and bunny costumes gets old and lame really quickly, but I dislike how our culture immediately devalues someone for "showing off". 

I'm not saying that you personally are putting down people who show some leg, but I mean society in general.

This is a very interesting debate.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
OriginalYouth
Random Snarky Crafted Goodness!

Snarkier than Thou...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2007 09:44:12 AM »

I do find it funny that from what very little was said people would assume I was a pro-lifer.

That is odd. I wouldn't have assumed that at all.

When I wrote "offensive costume" I meant the fact that I had fake dead babies in blood. People might be bothered by that, although most ended up being quite amused............. ...

......... Besides, making stem cells wasn't as funny to me as making babies, sorry, dude.

I just fail completely to see how 'dead babies in blood' is funny in any way, shape or form.  Whether you are pro life or pro choice, I just can't see any humor in that.  It just makes me sad.  If you have a value for life, born or unborn, this takes things too many steps, too far.

The best part of the evening was tossing the sacks into the crowd randomly and watching people's reactions. They feel soft and creepy!  
I just don't get it.  What if some one at the party who has lost a baby gets bombed with one of those?  

It just seems so insensitive to do that.  Again; it's just really sad.

Honestly, I guess this whole thing just screams 'look at me, give me your attention', which, in essence, means your outfit was successful, because here we are, 2 days later, still discussing it.

I think I'll just walk away from this now; it doesn't seem like there is any redemptive value in discussing it further.  If you don't see what's wrong about it, I don't think some stranger on a forum will convince you to change your conscience about it.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2007 09:45:41 AM by OriginalYouth » THIS ROCKS   Logged

nomij
There are 10 types of people in this world...

...those who know binary, and those who don't.

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2007 09:46:37 AM »

I also dont see the connection with your costume and sexy costumes marketed for little girls.  Unless you explained your reasoning to every single person you met, I doubt anyone would see your point.   Just my 2 cents.

I agree.  I admire your thought process, and agree with your sentiment, but the connection seems too stretched.  I'm not offended, I'm just not a huge fan of the costume.  Abortion is a very sensitive and controversial topic, and your point is distracted by that other controversy.  Your statement it about objectifying kids as sexual, not abortion.  
hmmm...  Something very unsexy, yet not controversial... hmmm.. (I'm honestly sitting here trying to think of something...)
Sexy Homer Simpson?  Your right, not the same shock value.  Ooh, sexy Sponge Bob!  ha!

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

And I don't think this post needs to be removed.  Crafting is a form of art, and art often has a message.  You warned that it may be offensive.  And look at the *great* discussion!  (PS - I do hear that if someone has gone through this or knows of someone who has gone through this it can sometimes be a very sensitive topic.  Maybe more warning in the title, and maybe that's why I'm not a big fan of this costume...)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
glittersniffer
OneOfTheWeirdo's!

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2007 09:48:55 AM »

I think you rock. Keep doing what you're doing and f**k all the haters  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join us!: facebook.com/gscosmetics

^^^Colorful Happiness ^^^
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to make Standing Rib Roast
How to make Fried Pork Chops
How to Fry Turkey
How to make Country Southern Gravy
How to make Chili in a Bread Bowl
Latest Blog Articles
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...