A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 298,757
Currently Running With Scissors:
598 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New to spinning- Need some guidance, please!  (Read 851 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PaperBag
« on: October 05, 2007 05:13:56 AM »

So... I decided to get a spindle today. It's a low whorl kind. I also picked up some dyed fibers in the felting section of my craft store... So anyways, I've watched videos, read up on stuff, and clicked on links in the FAQ section here, but I'm running into some problems.

- How do I keep the yarn from spinning on itself? I saw in a video that you just add more fiber to it, but as soon as I start adding fiber, the yarn breaks and the spindle hits the floor.

- Why does my yarn keep breaking? Is it just because I'm new at this and I'm really bad at it? ( Grin) Did I pick a poor quality fiber to try spinning?

That's the only questions I have so far because I can't get far into spinning with the yarn spinning around itself.. Hmm. Oh well. I'm sure someone can tell me how to fix this Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nicolassa

How do you like my lovely hat?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007 08:19:32 AM »

I'm not sure what you mean by the "yarn spinning on itself"?   Huh  Do you mean that there is too much twist in the fiber, and it's doubling back on itself?  If that's correct, you're right, the way to solve this is to feed more fiber to the spindle.

The problem you're having of the yarn breaking is really common for beginners.  It's all a matter of letting the fibers slip past each other in a uniform way, and that just takes practice.  For now, you might want to use the "park and draft" method of drop-spindling, which involves sitting down while you spin, link here:  http://www.graftonfibers.com/spinning.htm.  Also, it sounds like you have a bottom whorl spindle.  Those can be a bit heavier than the top whorl type, and usually have a pointed tip on the bottom.  That makes them ideal for spinning while supported.  If this is the case, you can support your spindle in a bowl or on the floor while you're spinning, which can be easier for a beginner. 

Don't worry, we've all been there!  Spinning just takes practice, and soon you'll be swimming in yarn and posting your creations on the Fiber Friday page!   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have no idea what you're talking about, so here's me with some yarn on my head.

Etsyness:  http://WhirligigYarns.etsy.com

Bloggity:  http://whirligigyarns.blogspot.com
adaydreamreality
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2007 12:05:02 PM »

Okay, guys. I am VERY confused. I've tried searching the board (& other boards) & I just can't figure out what I'm doing.. Possibly b/c I don't quite know how to ask the questions that I need answers to without a rather lengthy explanation... But, anyway..

I'm a new spinner & I'm using a bottom whorl (right? CD's @ the bottom of the dowel) CD spindle. I'm getting very little momentum. Like, I have to manually spin it most of the time. Is that normal? I'm also just not grasping what's exactly is supposed to be happening with the spin. When it spins in the opposite direction, it's getting to loose & falling apart. How do I avoid that? What am I doing wrong? I'm getting SO FRUSTRATED!!!

Thanks in advance!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AgentAlmost
Semi Professional Raving Lunatic

I love the smell of wet Llama in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2007 06:44:01 PM »

If you're getting very little spin time, then you have to draft thinner: you're most likely making too thick of a yarn for your weight of spindle.

Do not let the spindle untwist. Once it starts untwisting, either give it another spin or wind on the portion you've spun and then twist again.

Spindling is tough to get right off the bat since you have to work against the clock and spin a length of yarn before the spindle untwists and the yarn falls apart.

If you're really having trouble, you might want to try park and draft spinning first.

Just stick with it and eventually it will click.

http://www.graftonfibers.com/spinning.htm
http://ispindle.com/parkdraft.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged
raynbow
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007 07:51:32 AM »

If it's hard for you to draft and spin at the same time, a good way to learn is called "park and draft", it's just what it sounds like!

Give the spindle a spin and spin what you have drafted.  When it starts to slow down, "park" it by stopping it on your leg or the floor.  Then draft out some more fiber.  Then give it another spin!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
adaydreamreality
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007 02:59:45 PM »

Thanks so much, ladies!! I actually got some yarn'ish looking stuff today after much practice. You were a big help- thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LindsayLuu
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007 03:20:00 PM »

thanks for the beginner tips!  I just got a bottom whorl spindle and some fibers today.  Hopefully I'll have time to practice soon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Top 5 Winter Beauty Essentials
Glitter Lid Makeup Tutorial
DIY Cracked Lip Treatment
Get Fit in 2014 - The Best Gear to Kickstart Your Routine
How to Pull Off the Perfect New Year’s Eve Makeup Look
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...