A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Breaking News: What's with all of the SPAM on Craftster?  Click here to find out what happened!
Total Members: 307,167
Currently Running With Scissors:
227 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 1279 1280 [1281] 1282
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Ongoing Poppet and Punkin-Along  (Read 1665887 times)
Tags for this thread: poppet  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mick_Mack
« Reply #12800 on: August 19, 2014 07:54:35 PM »

I will play around with it, I just thought maybe I used the joints in the wrong place and it made her knock-kneed. I am not to worried about them standing on their own anymore I just want the legs to not look funny. And eyelides are my next challange, any suggestions (tutorials) on how to do the eyelides?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sharalee
http://pinterest.com/sharalee3/pins/?filter=likes

Retired Hairstylist/Crafter

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
Re:
« Reply #12801 on: August 19, 2014 09:37:20 PM »

I'm not sure if there are any tutoials on eyelids, maybe on the first page of
 this thread. I just take a peice of fabric cut the size of the eye & a little bit more & I tuck it behind the eye. I do put alittle glue on it & tuck it with a cuticle stick untill it's tuck in. If you want lashes put them on under the lid. It just takes practice with the eyes & lids & everyone does it a little different!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will do personal swaps!! I make Art Dolls/Junker Jane Dolls/Raggedy Ann & Andy Dolls/also TM Patches
meleriffic
Global Moderator
Clothing Moderator
Toys, Dolls, & Playthings Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12802 on: August 21, 2014 08:13:18 PM »

I think there is a small tutorial, or at least a description on how to do eyelids around here somewhere.

Also, depending on where you attach the leg to the body can make the poppet more hippy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
puamelia

Oh poppet, how you thwart me!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12803 on: September 24, 2014 03:39:53 PM »

Also, you really have to pull tight when you joint. Part of what I think makes mine stand (aside from the bottom of the feet not being too curvy) is that after dry-fitting and making sure you are in the right place, make the jointing is super tight so the legs go straight not in. I'll try and find a pic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yay for summer!
puamelia

Oh poppet, how you thwart me!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12804 on: September 24, 2014 04:15:24 PM »

If you joint high, it will be hip-py. If you joint lower it will not be as much... but don't go too low or clothes won't fit.

Also, legs are weight bearing, and the doll is top heavy. Everything should be stuffed evenly and firm, not overstuffed, not soft and squishy.  Like making sausages. Your first pic - stuffing looks ok, jointing looks loose. Also, I "cover" my button with batting, then safety-pin my button in the leg before stuffing then I stuff a little more on the outside of the leg and not too much on the inside. The safety-pin being in the way helps remind me not to stuff too much. So you could reduce the stuffing as Sharalee said.

Joint tightly, so when it's standing the body and head won't swing loosely backward and forward.  I notice your first pic there is a big space between the legs, the bottom of your body seems wide, and jointing seems loose. I believe someone once squished it under their knee in order to joint tight enough. Wink I used to do that until I realized if everything is stuffed tight and feet are relatively flat, you just need to be snug.

In this pic, this one stands but it could've been done a little higher. I try to pick a spot on the body, put the leg up to it and swivel it around as if attached, to see if it looks good.

Here is a sample of dry fitting.  Use pins to hold in place. This one needed to move more to the doll's back before it will stand. If you have a Barbie doll, take a look at placement.

Hope this helps. :-)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yay for summer!
angielou1
« Reply #12805 on: June 16, 2015 04:43:04 PM »

Hi Poppetteers! I am willing to organize a "Mini Poppet Swap" and was wondering if there was any extra interest here?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
angielou1
« Reply #12806 on: June 17, 2015 06:03:42 PM »

A Poppet Swap is up if anyone is interested in making/swapping
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=439668.msg5319209#msg5319209
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TressiesTreasures
« Reply #12807 on: March 24, 2016 10:38:00 PM »

I know this thread hasn't been posted in since last year but I thought I might as well try. I might have posted this previously but I cannot find it. I have tried to make poppets, a couple times now and they always end up hippy and weird looking in the legs. How on earth do you get your legs to fit so nicely? Links are of the "hippy" dolls I attempted to do. I used button joints and used buttons the same size as the top of the legs on one of the dolls (the beige one) but that didn't make a difference. Any help would be awesome.

http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n551/Family_Matters2010/Dolls/DSC00455.jpg (the first one with to small of button joints)

http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n551/Family_Matters2010/Dolls/DSC00454.jpg (the 2nd one that is bow-legged, and twisted and just funny looking legs)

I really want to be able to make these dolls but it is so hard to get the legs right. Thanks for the help in advance
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FreakieGeekie
Queen of Quirky, lover of all things cute and creepy

Proudly lets her freak flag fly

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #12808 on: March 25, 2016 01:39:28 AM »

Not sure if it makes a difference, but on the first one, it looks as if you made the curved hollow where the leg should fit straight instead of curved. That might have something to do with it.
As for the second, it looks as if you're not pulling the thread tightly enough when you joint it: that's usually what causes the legs to turn inward a bit like that. Or, at least that's my experience with it. I made a poppet once but I never got around to making his clothes so he's in a closet at my parents' house, naked on a shelf.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

@deviantart
Pinterest
Projects in 2016: 5/50
meleriffic
Global Moderator
Clothing Moderator
Toys, Dolls, & Playthings Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12809 on: March 25, 2016 04:03:32 PM »

A lot of it has to do with the placement of the legs. If you place them up too high, it will be more hippy. And I'm not positive, but on the bottom picture it looks like you may have had the legs too far forward. It can be tricky to get the legs where you want them. Mine don't always turn out perfect either.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 1279 1280 [1281] 1282 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
Hair Tips: Dealing With Hat Hair
How to Do a Fishtail Bun
How to Do a Milkmaid Plait
How to Do a Waterfall Plait
How to Do a Reverse French Plait
Latest Blog Articles
May 4, 2016 Featured Projects
I propose a toast!
Tute Tuesday: Plastic Mesh Rug

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...