A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,491
Currently Running With Scissors:
538 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 1143 1144 [1145] 1146 1147 ... 1317
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Ongoing Poppet and Punkin-Along  (Read 1342760 times)
Tags for this thread: poppet  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ghilie
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Good Cookie Designs

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11440 on: July 02, 2010 04:40:13 PM »

they're about 12-14 inches when stuffed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit http://ghilie.wordpress.com/ for the poppet pattern.

"I grow old, I grow old, I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled."
kwiltykate
« Reply #11441 on: July 02, 2010 05:16:17 PM »

Hey tabiekat!

My first poppet turned out really skinny as the fabric I used didnt have much stretch in it. I did find a suede type fabric (at spotlight!) with a bit of stretch in the upholstery section - and its not too thick!

Im using a micro fleece for my next one, think she's going to end up pretty plump  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tabiekat
« Reply #11442 on: July 02, 2010 08:24:01 PM »

hey

thanks for that, thats good to know the printer isnt misbehaving, i recon if i go to spotlight today ill have more luck finding suede, i think i got a bit side tracked as it took three goes to find brown pinstripe material for the doctor rag doll im making for myself, i think i may have a bit of an obbsession with the tenth doctor but i dont care Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kinoni
« Reply #11443 on: July 02, 2010 09:30:00 PM »

hello

i have just started my first poopet, ive already made some mistakes like not adding seam allowance but its still ok. im useing peach coloured felt as i couldnt find any suede in spotlight, i must be blind. is it just me or are poppets supposed to be small?

tabiekat
yo, you just wrote poopet LOL.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rasita
« Reply #11444 on: July 03, 2010 01:36:13 AM »

Hi Tabiekat,
spotlight quite possibly won't have what you want, but i know a seller on ebay, in Australia, who sells faux suede which works wonders for these dolls, and another one who sells doe suede and craft velour which works wonders also.
I have, on the rare occasion found what I want (for doll material) at spotlight. If in doubt, as someone for doe suede, craft velour of faux suede.
Spotlight is good for eyes and yarn, for hair, though, and I love their scraps/offcuts bin as you can quite often get nice bits of material, just big enough to make what you want.
If you want the ebay details/shop for the sellers, let me know. (btw 1/2 meter of doe suede should do a minimum of 2 dolls)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tabiekat
« Reply #11445 on: July 03, 2010 04:15:51 AM »

hey

thank you everyone, i went to Spotlight earlier and found some suede, it was in the upholstery part just as kwiltykate said, so half a metre should do two, thats good i all ready have the plan for them, and the fabrics for their clothes, just a matter of free time now Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mishdafish
« Reply #11446 on: July 03, 2010 04:27:19 AM »

Thanks katara! The jacket is mostly finished now, just a bit of the collar left. I glued the edges of the fabric to prevent fraying and still being able to have a tiny seam allowance which seemed to firm the material up. Only the boots left and then pictures Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
katara
« Reply #11447 on: July 03, 2010 01:12:29 PM »

Thanks katara! The jacket is mostly finished now, just a bit of the collar left. I glued the edges of the fabric to prevent fraying and still being able to have a tiny seam allowance which seemed to firm the material up. Only the boots left and then pictures Smiley

Just glad I could help! Can't wait to see how your poppet turned out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sorbetsurprise
« Reply #11448 on: July 03, 2010 02:56:10 PM »

I have done arms and legs Yay!!  I was using my trusty end-of-a-paintbrush-I-ruined-by-not-washing-the-varnish-out-of-properly tool to turn the limbs in the right way, but it did not withstand the pressure and snapped Sad I know have my deceased-grannys-metal-crochet-hook tool to use instead and its much better!  Also my beading pliers were good for pulling the hands through the wrist (that's a tight bit) so long as I dont pull too hard and mark the fabric.  I think my faux suede may be a little thicker than the norm but its not too bad to work with and should be pretty hard wearing. 

I do have a bit of a problem with the ankles though, they have creased a little and they are pulling the foot up towards the leg instead of being at right angles.  Any advice as to how I prevent this next time?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ghilie
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Good Cookie Designs

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11449 on: July 03, 2010 03:23:48 PM »

When you sew a right angle, you should notch the seam allowance at the point where it turns so it doesn't pull.  At least, that's what it sounds like is happening.  Clip the seam allowance  - thats for everything you sew, not just poppets.

I finally have a WIP that will become an FO.  I swear, if it weren't for swaps I would get nothing done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit http://ghilie.wordpress.com/ for the poppet pattern.

"I grow old, I grow old, I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled."
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 1143 1144 [1145] 1146 1147 ... 1317 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Decorate with Slip
How to make a Medium Sized Bowl 2 - Trimming and Using a Giffin Grip
How to use Two Clays for a Marble Effect
Finished Pieces from the Kiln - Follow Up
How to make a Porcelain Vessel with Wire Inlay
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...