A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Monday, May 23 News:  It's time to vote!  Which Craftster member rocked dollar store crafting?  Cast your vote here!
Total Members: 315,400
Currently Running With Scissors:
492 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 1107 1108 [1109] 1110 1111 ... 1282
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Ongoing Poppet and Punkin-Along  (Read 1673108 times)
Tags for this thread: poppet  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mishdafish
« Reply #11080 on: June 28, 2010 11:52:00 PM »

My goodness! Sewing that head onto the neck is *difficult*!!!! Still not sure if i understand sewing the head together, min came out with a very lop-sided head and a very funny right ear, character perhaps?? I have a dull throbbing in my fingers from all the pricks but it's worth it to see it shaping up. Perhaps using upholstery suede was not the best idea for my first poppet, but we live and learn Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beth8144
It is just so stinkin' addictive!

CRAFTING KEEPS ME FROM GOING CRAZY!!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11081 on: June 29, 2010 07:59:04 AM »

Wow upholstery suede that will be a sturdy poppet. Kinda thick right Good luck cant wait to see the new poppeters poppets.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So many ideas so little time. Will I ever get them all done?
http://wists.com/beth8144
http://pinterest.com/beth8144/
sorbetsurprise
« Reply #11082 on: June 29, 2010 10:16:28 AM »

Supplies ordered!  Yay!  I found some faux suede on ebay which was cheaper than real so I'm going to try that out, difficult to see from pictures but its described as 'sand' which looked lighter than 'tan' but will see when it is here.  I really want to make one for my friends birthday in a months time.  she has just moved away so it will be ncie to send her something to let her know I am thinking of her.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tendstowardschaos
'Impossible is a word only to be found in the dictionary of fools.' - N. Bonaparte

Motivated by the desire to achieve.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11083 on: June 29, 2010 11:11:51 AM »

puamelia and beth8144- You gals are too sweet.  Kiss

Beth, your poppet was born in booze. Not that I'm drinking, but, when I turned the fingers this morning, the red ink on my hemostats (long story  Roll Eyes ) made your fair-skinned doll look like a murderess. I searched the house for rubbing alcohol (I was afraid acetone would destroy the fabric) to no avail. Oh, noooo! Then, I spotted the bottle of vodka on the bar. I figured it would do the job. It did! Cheesy So...the moral of this story is that a good, clear booze will remove Sharpie ink from alova suede.   Wink  Sorry, but I had to share. It made me giggle...using vodka like that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

katara
« Reply #11084 on: June 29, 2010 11:29:36 AM »

Inez - Glad vodka (and quick-thinking)   Wink was able to save the day!!

Well I've started on a second poppet. I don't have a doll-jointing needle yet so I figured I'd prep another poppet in the meantime. Am using an old T-shirt as fabric and it seems to be working well!

I also used a round bead, in place of the clay, to stuff the nose and it seems to work perfectly!!  Grin

« Last Edit: June 29, 2010 11:30:58 AM by katara » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mishdafish
« Reply #11085 on: June 29, 2010 02:05:45 PM »

I used a popcorn seed to stuff my doll's nose! Could,kt find a single bead in the house so let's hope he doesn't ever get too close to the fire Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11086 on: June 29, 2010 03:31:56 PM »

Well I found some blue fleecy material in my stash and I've made a start! So far I have 2 arms and 2 legs which came out great! Can't wait to do the rest!

I've finished the body - tried sculpting it but I wasn't happy with the result so I'm going to leave it as is. Nearly finished the head too!

I pretty much only do a belly button. I don't really like the other sculpting.

My goodness! Sewing that head onto the neck is *difficult*!!!! Still not sure if i understand sewing the head together, min came out with a very lop-sided head and a very funny right ear, character perhaps?? I have a dull throbbing in my fingers from all the pricks but it's worth it to see it shaping up. Perhaps using upholstery suede was not the best idea for my first poppet, but we live and learn Smiley

It will look fine once you get hair on it. The ears being off slightly is pretty normal. Smiley 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
puamelia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Oh poppet, how you thwart me!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11087 on: June 29, 2010 10:46:46 PM »

Inez - Glad vodka (and quick-thinking)   Wink was able to save the day!!

Am using an old T-shirt as fabric and it seems to be working well!

I also used a round bead, in place of the clay, to stuff the nose and it seems to work perfectly!!  Grin

Inez you know I am still coveting your Arwen!  Good to know about the vodka, scary to think I drink the stuff, ha!

katara, I used a round bead for my last poppet. Took a bit to keep it from sliding around tho, but works well.  I'll have to try t-shirt fabric next.  I finally got some alova-ish fabric from my awesome swap partner so that's what I'm using this go-around.

Here's my last poppet:

She was for SunflowerSmiles, for The Poppet Mini Swap Round 2:  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=347781.50
And I finally got around to giving her her own post - http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=352320.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yay for summer!
katara
« Reply #11088 on: June 29, 2010 11:57:06 PM »

puamelia - The poppet you made came out beautiful!!! I especially love her eyes!
If you don't mind me asking, how did you do her hair?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

puamelia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Oh poppet, how you thwart me!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11089 on: June 30, 2010 12:46:04 AM »

Thanks katara! I am currently on an eye obsession, trying different colors!

As for her hair, I started with a crocheted wig.  I then wrapped two different yarns around a brochure many times, and then cut on one edge to make yarn pieces all the same size.  I tied two of each all over, to the thickness desired.  I think I tied to every other double crochet.  I didn't stitch the wig down, so you can switch out the hair if you like.

I also threaded on some beads and feathers and glued them down so they wouldn't move.  There's a crochet wig tute here somewhere...

this is ghilie's flickr tute:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8542954@N07/sets/72157606651877346/

and this is the pattern I tried to follow... may have missed a few stitches tho! Tongue
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=259716.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yay for summer!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 1107 1108 [1109] 1110 1111 ... 1282 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
How to Make Homemade Beef and Broccoli
How to Make a Thai Style Beef Salad
Classic Chicken Chow Mein Recipe
Hong Kong Chow Mein Recipe
Simple Soy Glazed Chicken Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Painted Background
Easy Summer Salads
Meatless Monday: Gluten Free Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...