A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,023
Currently Running With Scissors:
464 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 1120 1121 [1122] 1123 1124 ... 1316
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Ongoing Poppet and Punkin-Along  (Read 1331570 times)
Tags for this thread: poppet  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

McBec27
« Reply #11210 on: April 30, 2010 06:05:49 PM »

Oh no! How did she lose her arms???
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my etsy!
Check out my wist!
averyg

Personal poppet swap? PM me!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11211 on: April 30, 2010 06:16:44 PM »

I'm not quite sure how it happened. The email I got today, from the man in charge of the contest, said something like "You didn't win the grand prize, but you have won a secondary prize. Also, her arms fell off- sorry about that"... I know when I jointed her I used about 12 strands of dental floss, but my mom figures that people were prolly hugging her or lifting her arms up and whatnot, so that may have caused them to fall off, or maybe the pom-poms weighted them down? I dunno, I suppose I will have to assess the damage when I get some time off of work and can pick her up. I've only ever had joints become somewhat loose when I am constantly standing a poppet up and down, raising their arms and whatnot when I am fitting them for a piece of clothing... It just makes me wonder when exactly they fell off, because if it were towards the beginning of the contest (3 or 4 weeks ago) I could have totally fixed her up, but alas...
Smiley
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010 06:17:29 PM by averyg » THIS ROCKS   Logged

rasita
« Reply #11212 on: April 30, 2010 07:17:07 PM »

I'm not quite sure how it happened. The email I got today, from the man in charge of the contest, said something like "You didn't win the grand prize, but you have won a secondary prize. Also, her arms fell off- sorry about that"... I know when I jointed her I used about 12 strands of dental floss, but my mom figures that people were prolly hugging her or lifting her arms up and whatnot, so that may have caused them to fall off, or maybe the pom-poms weighted them down? I dunno, I suppose I will have to assess the damage when I get some time off of work and can pick her up. I've only ever had joints become somewhat loose when I am constantly standing a poppet up and down, raising their arms and whatnot when I am fitting them for a piece of clothing... It just makes me wonder when exactly they fell off, because if it were towards the beginning of the contest (3 or 4 weeks ago) I could have totally fixed her up, but alas...
Smiley
I have had that happen also and since i changed to an upholstery thread I haven't had the problem.

But your mum is probably right, and that they may have been moving the arms to see how they worked, etc.
Well done on the giant poppet though, she looks great
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mummynat
I love Bert

Wife Mum Nutter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11213 on: May 02, 2010 02:01:01 AM »

I know this isn't the best photo (Taken with phone) But i though it showed well, the height and width difference you can gain by changing your grain/stretch of your fabric.

The red one is a plain poppet pattern with the stretch going width ways she is quite short and fat. Her face has the stretch going diagonal, it gives the jowls. She stands easy

She cream one with no toes is an elenor poppet, again with the stretch doing width ways, and the face diagonal. The elenor poppet comes up just slightly shorter for me. She stands quite easy, but has a very curved back with arms quite far back, so can sometimes need playing with.

The middle cream one is the elenor poppet with the stretch going length ways (except the arms, the fingers go completely wrong for me if i try to do the stretch length way, scary.) As you can see, taller, thinner and the face is thiner, longer and without jowls. Quite a bit harder to stand.

I have not yet done a face with the stretch completely width way, i like the diagonal, but will no doubt have to try it soon.

Hope this helps some peeps  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beth8144
It is just so stinkin' addictive!

CRAFTING KEEPS ME FROM GOING CRAZY!!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11214 on: May 02, 2010 01:04:53 PM »

I always except for my ringmaster have done the stretch to make them taller and skinnier. But I like the look of the shorter chubbier poppet and have maid a mental not to have make one width wise and I like the diagonal stretch to the face. Great job. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So many ideas so little time. Will I ever get them all done?
http://wists.com/beth8144
http://pinterest.com/beth8144/
lovesclutter
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Nothing is safe in its native form.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11215 on: May 02, 2010 08:29:06 PM »

I wonder averyg, what size button did you use to them make them that big??? Still awesome.

Mummynat, I love your poppets, they are quite a family. Can't wait to see your new addition.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010 08:29:48 PM by lovesclutter » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
mummynat
I love Bert

Wife Mum Nutter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11216 on: May 02, 2010 11:29:05 PM »

Mummynat, I love your poppets, they are quite a family. Can't wait to see your new addition.

Lol, i love taking family photos before i send poppets to new owners. (the goth one in my last photo has gone now.)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Anne11
« Reply #11217 on: May 03, 2010 05:15:12 AM »

i love your poppet family Smiley  it's nice to see the differences that cutting them out makes. thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
averyg

Personal poppet swap? PM me!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11218 on: May 03, 2010 11:54:50 AM »

Today I bought some faux suede, it is extremely stretchy... Both sides are very similar (ie. one side isn't darker or shiner than the other), however, the fabric is pretty static-y... I was just wondering if anyone knew if this would technically be considered alova?

EDIT: I just double checked and one side is clearly more fuzzy than the other, the backside almost looks like a knit. I know it is faux suede because I have used it in the past and it was called that at the store today Cheesy
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010 01:31:44 PM by averyg » THIS ROCKS   Logged

ClonedBravo
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

My 3 guys are gonna be joined by a baby in March!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #11219 on: May 03, 2010 12:15:03 PM »

I doubt it.Right & wrong side are pretty clear with Alova . maybe if you use an interfacing?

Sorry your cheerleader didn't win. I voted for you! she was pretty.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I miss you Gramma! Jo Saunders, 5/20/1931- 10/11/2012

I've wisted stuff!!  http://www.wists.com/clonedbravo
Just like the Gypsy woman said!
Check out my ETSY, please! http://www.etsy.com/people/prancingdragon
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 1120 1121 [1122] 1123 1124 ... 1316 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Makeup a Cat Nose
How to Do Cat Eyelashes Makeup
How to Do Cat Eyes in Makeup
How to Do a Cat Makeup Face
Handmade Portraits: Black-Eyed Suzie
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...