A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,109
Currently Running With Scissors:
722 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 1117 1118 [1119] 1120 1121 ... 1317
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Ongoing Poppet and Punkin-Along  (Read 1471998 times)
Tags for this thread: poppet  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11180 on: April 23, 2010 04:24:57 PM »

just got the pattern from Ghillie.... 8 pages of instructions?!? Shocked  oh goodness... I think I'll be reading them all the way through before I start.... No diving in and cuting and sewing blindly on this one with instructions that long!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ghilie

Good Cookie Designs

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11181 on: April 23, 2010 04:35:38 PM »

I talk alot.  lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit http://ghilie.wordpress.com/ for the poppet pattern.

"I grow old, I grow old, I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled."
lovesclutter

Nothing is safe in its native form.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11182 on: April 23, 2010 04:59:53 PM »

Belladune, do just that. And ask any ?? in here. Your gnome warrior is shorter legs and arms, but the same.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
averyg

Personal poppet swap? PM me!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11183 on: April 24, 2010 09:48:25 AM »

I have used craft velour before, and it doesn't fray, has slight stretch (very minimal actually) and is a dream to cut and sew. I also use doe suede and faux suede

Yeah, I don't find that my velour really frays whatsoever, but I do find that mine has major stretch, just using the regular sized poppet pattern with no alterations, my poppets tend to be on average 16-18 inches tall, quite a bit taller (I believe) than when one uses alova suede.

just got the pattern from Ghillie.... 8 pages of instructions?!? Shocked  oh goodness... I think I'll be reading them all the way through before I start.... No diving in and cuting and sewing blindly on this one with instructions that long!

It looks intimidating, but it really isn't. It'll all make a lot of sense in a short period of time, and as lovesclutter said, we are all here to help!
Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Laugh_out_Loud
There aren't enough hours in a day for crafting!

View Profile
« Reply #11184 on: April 24, 2010 06:09:57 PM »

Thank you everyone!  Now I can get started on my poppet! 
(Page 925, only 195 more pages to go!) Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am thankful for laughter, except when milk comes out of my nose.  ~Woody Allen
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11185 on: April 24, 2010 06:27:35 PM »

Read through it but don't feel bad if you don't "get" it while reading. Some of it only makes sense once you start. Smiley So long as you go slowly and don't rush the process your poppet will be fine!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11186 on: April 24, 2010 07:16:06 PM »

Thanks for the encouragement ladies!  I'm only on page 30 of this thread(i'm a slow reader)  But I've read the instructions and I'm a little daunted yet, that's okay though.  I can do it... Now Questions: (I'm guessing these were likely answered multiple times in the thread, but I'm eager) Can I use any button with a shank?  And do the needles really need to be that big? or will a regular old big needle do? (like one that can be threaded with chunky yarn and is about 1 3/4 inches)  I'm not sure where I'd find a big huge needle like that around here other then online...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11187 on: April 24, 2010 08:12:22 PM »

Any shank button will do so long as it's the right size. and yes, the needle has to be that long to reach all the way through the body without getting lost inside. I'll send you one of my spares, I still have ur digits somewhere... need anything else while I'm at it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
Laugh_out_Loud
There aren't enough hours in a day for crafting!

View Profile
« Reply #11188 on: April 24, 2010 09:24:33 PM »

I am almost done reading this thread, and I think I am prepared for my first poppet.  These are the things I need to know.  If you think I am missing something, please tell me!  

-Fabric should have a slight stretch, but not to much stretch, and it shouldn't fray to much
-Freezer papper is also known as butcher paper
-It doesn't matter what it is called, you just need a needle that is long enough to go through the poppet's shoulders and hips for jointing
-Don't worry if the poppet's head doesn't look good when it's not stuffed yet
-Don't worry if the toes look pointy and deformed, because they are supposed to be that way before you needle sculpt them
-Don't worry if the entire thing looks strange after you complete it, you are probably imagining it because all poppets look cute!
-For jointing, any shank button with a metal (not plastic, because it will break) shank works.  Teddy bear joints also work.  
-For jointing, try to avoid flavoured floss and waxed floss goes for stronger knots.  
-When jointing, pull the floss TIGHT
-Stuff it a lot
-Stuff it A LOT
-Stuff it A LOT
-The head won't explode in the oven when you bake the nose clay
-But the eyes will melt
-To turn fingers, tail, ect, you can use tweezers, straw+dowel, crochet hook, knitting needle or a pen
-There are many helpful links on the first page of this craft-along
-If you need help, your fellow Craftsters will be sure to help you!
-Ghilie is terrific for sharing the poppet pattern so freely!!!!!!!

« Last Edit: April 24, 2010 09:26:19 PM by Laugh_out_Loud » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am thankful for laughter, except when milk comes out of my nose.  ~Woody Allen
Faux_Valentine
« Reply #11189 on: April 25, 2010 12:44:56 AM »

*rolls in cause it's the cool thing to do*

Just finished sewing my first poppet i need to do some sewing up of seams that were left open but i have the head on... it was a little tricky to sew on. Maybe i could have read the directions and gotten some great insight but im more of a cut out and go type of girl XD. I have the shanks in and contrary to the happiness of my thumbs i have done some needle sculpting with a rather smallish needle, and probably will do the joining the same way... i do ocassionally love on my body, but i am a strong believer in earning love. It looks great so far. I learned one thing though.... when you dont have freezer paper or money to get some, Oil based color pencils, such as prismacolor, will transfer to your fabric with no issues and avoid the fifty milion resews i had to do because my fabric and my paper were way outta wack.... thank god for prismas again... I will update with pictures when im done. Gunna try something else kinda cool next, kinda wanna make a centaur and a faun so we will see how it goes.

Way to tired to be posting so Peace
<3
Faux
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 1117 1118 [1119] 1120 1121 ... 1317 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Female Romance Novelists Embrace Writing About Gay Relationships
Gay Romance Novels
Author Revealed: Spencer Quinn
Watch Spencer Quinn Discuss His Chet and Bernie Series
Elizabeth Fremantle Introduces Us to Thomas Seymour
Latest Blog Articles
Eggs? Eggzactly!
Meatless Monday: Kale Yeah!
@Home This Weekend: Lamp Transformation

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...