A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 316,621
Currently Running With Scissors:
368 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 1086 1087 [1088] 1089 1090 ... 1280
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Ongoing Poppet and Punkin-Along  (Read 1732795 times)
Tags for this thread: poppet  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Laugh_out_Loud
There aren't enough hours in a day for crafting!

View Profile
« Reply #10870 on: April 24, 2010 09:24:33 PM »

I am almost done reading this thread, and I think I am prepared for my first poppet.  These are the things I need to know.  If you think I am missing something, please tell me!  

-Fabric should have a slight stretch, but not to much stretch, and it shouldn't fray to much
-Freezer papper is also known as butcher paper
-It doesn't matter what it is called, you just need a needle that is long enough to go through the poppet's shoulders and hips for jointing
-Don't worry if the poppet's head doesn't look good when it's not stuffed yet
-Don't worry if the toes look pointy and deformed, because they are supposed to be that way before you needle sculpt them
-Don't worry if the entire thing looks strange after you complete it, you are probably imagining it because all poppets look cute!
-For jointing, any shank button with a metal (not plastic, because it will break) shank works.  Teddy bear joints also work.  
-For jointing, try to avoid flavoured floss and waxed floss goes for stronger knots.  
-When jointing, pull the floss TIGHT
-Stuff it a lot
-Stuff it A LOT
-Stuff it A LOT
-The head won't explode in the oven when you bake the nose clay
-But the eyes will melt
-To turn fingers, tail, ect, you can use tweezers, straw+dowel, crochet hook, knitting needle or a pen
-There are many helpful links on the first page of this craft-along
-If you need help, your fellow Craftsters will be sure to help you!
-Ghilie is terrific for sharing the poppet pattern so freely!!!!!!!

« Last Edit: April 24, 2010 09:26:19 PM by Laugh_out_Loud » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am thankful for laughter, except when milk comes out of my nose.  ~Woody Allen
Faux_Valentine
« Reply #10871 on: April 25, 2010 12:44:56 AM »

*rolls in cause it's the cool thing to do*

Just finished sewing my first poppet i need to do some sewing up of seams that were left open but i have the head on... it was a little tricky to sew on. Maybe i could have read the directions and gotten some great insight but im more of a cut out and go type of girl XD. I have the shanks in and contrary to the happiness of my thumbs i have done some needle sculpting with a rather smallish needle, and probably will do the joining the same way... i do ocassionally love on my body, but i am a strong believer in earning love. It looks great so far. I learned one thing though.... when you dont have freezer paper or money to get some, Oil based color pencils, such as prismacolor, will transfer to your fabric with no issues and avoid the fifty milion resews i had to do because my fabric and my paper were way outta wack.... thank god for prismas again... I will update with pictures when im done. Gunna try something else kinda cool next, kinda wanna make a centaur and a faun so we will see how it goes.

Way to tired to be posting so Peace
<3
Faux
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ghilie
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Good Cookie Designs

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10872 on: April 25, 2010 05:39:28 AM »

does butcher paper have a waxy side and a paper side?  if so, they are similar.  i hear you can also use the paper that reams of paper come it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit http://ghilie.wordpress.com/ for the poppet pattern.

"I grow old, I grow old, I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled."
Belladune
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10873 on: April 25, 2010 07:55:53 AM »

Any shank button will do so long as it's the right size. and yes, the needle has to be that long to reach all the way through the body without getting lost inside. I'll send you one of my spares, I still have ur digits somewhere... need anything else while I'm at it?
Awe hon, your so generous!  you don't need to send it, I just heard of a craft store in the other city I don't go to often (but will start now LOl)  I'm betting they have things I need..  Just need to get away without the oldest children... Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10874 on: April 25, 2010 08:07:49 AM »

My tip of the month/age/ etc is to use a curved needle to sew the hair/wig on. It makes such a difference. A fellow poppeteer posted that in one of their finished projects and I've done it since. And it makes my life easier.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beth8144
It is just so stinkin' addictive!

CRAFTING KEEPS ME FROM GOING CRAZY!!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10875 on: April 25, 2010 09:16:07 AM »

I agree Ghilie is terrific. Just wondering if she has any clue how many poppet patterns she has given out over the years and are there any poppets that have been made that are her favs?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So many ideas so little time. Will I ever get them all done?
http://wists.com/beth8144
http://pinterest.com/beth8144/
ghilie

Good Cookie Designs

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10876 on: April 25, 2010 09:29:14 AM »

I agree Ghilie is terrific. Just wondering if she has any clue how many poppet patterns she has given out over the years and are there any poppets that have been made that are her favs?

lol, well, I am partial to the ones I've made, haha.  The new one, the red headed victorian lady was just smashing.  I cant remember who made it, but the boy with the shaggy fur hair was super cute too.

I've probably given the pattern out a couple thousand times, judging from the amount of pages in my inbox...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit http://ghilie.wordpress.com/ for the poppet pattern.

"I grow old, I grow old, I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled."
Seraphina_de_Sangre
The Daredevil Sky Pirate

Down to a 12 and shedding more lbs. everyday!

View Profile
« Reply #10877 on: April 25, 2010 10:43:07 AM »

Speaking of that shaggy haired little guy (if the one I made is the one you're talking about), I never got around to posting a thread for him. I made him a really cool guitar and everything so he could be a rockstar and now he just sits and gazes, in a very cute tutu that lovesclutter sent me, at Blair the love of his life who really doesn't want to give him the time of day.

Ghilie is terrific.

Make sure you use the stretch from side to side and NOT up and down, unless you want a really long and skinny poppet.
There is a tute somewhere on making the toes round-less-pointy, did you see that one?
One tip, if you get frustrated or less your mojo, check out this thread using the 'images only' option Wink.

Well, if you're using something that stretches a lot I say use the horizontal stretch, but if you're using alova or doe/deer suede I like the vertical stretch. The first way looks a little more chubby and sweet, the second a little more sleek and 'adult-like'.
It all depends on the style you're looking for  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Swaps
Multi-Themed Steampunk Swap

Wist
SunflowerSmiles

View Profile
« Reply #10878 on: April 26, 2010 09:03:31 AM »

this is probably a really redundunt question and has been asked before a hundred million times I'm sure...for that "I'm sorry"  but here's the question

How tall is a poppet supposed to be?  I've heard 16" but the two I've made were only maybe at best 12".

What did I do wrong?  not that it's wrong,I guess, but I would like to make a poppet the size everyone elses is and haven't got a clue how to do that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

averyg

Personal poppet swap? PM me!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10879 on: April 26, 2010 09:47:34 AM »

this is probably a really redundunt question and has been asked before a hundred million times I'm sure...for that "I'm sorry"  but here's the question

How tall is a poppet supposed to be?  I've heard 16" but the two I've made were only maybe at best 12".

What did I do wrong?  not that it's wrong,I guess, but I would like to make a poppet the size everyone elses is and haven't got a clue how to do that?

We just had this discussion a bit ago, here are some of the responses (also found here: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=205341.11060):

The ones I've made from alova are all around 14".

I wanna say they're about 14 too. The ones I make are about 75% of the pattern and they're about 11-12 inches.

Which way do you make your fabric stretch? That could make a difference as to the height of your poppets (I always horizontal stretch) and I put a lot of stuffing in there, like honestly pretty rock hard, and I find doing that doubly stretches the fabric out, making my poppets pretty tall (16 plus inches). Here is some info on the stretch:
Make sure you use the stretch from side to side and NOT up and down, unless you want a really long and skinny poppet.

Well, if you're using something that stretches a lot I say use the horizontal stretch, but if you're using alova or doe/deer suede I like the vertical stretch. The first way looks a little more chubby and sweet, the second a little more sleek and 'adult-like'.

Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 1086 1087 [1088] 1089 1090 ... 1280 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Pretty Planters
Tute Tuesday: Scrap Busting Artwork
Let's Monkey Around!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...