A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 307,605
Currently Running With Scissors:
459 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 1085 1086 [1087] 1088 1089 ... 1280
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Ongoing Poppet and Punkin-Along  (Read 1785967 times)
Tags for this thread: poppet , craftalong  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lovesclutter

msassive stroke March 18 not right in the head.:(

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10860 on: April 22, 2010 07:35:46 PM »

LOL if the velour is the type that really sheds/frays, make sure to clean you machine regularly. I made one that way and bits of velour were everywhere. Because my velour had so much stretch, (not a good thing) I also used a ball needle for knits.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
Laugh_out_Loud
There aren't enough hours in a day for crafting!

View Profile
« Reply #10861 on: April 22, 2010 11:00:09 PM »

Getting closer. . . page seven hunderd n' fifty!  And about the poppet:  Do you sew on the freezer papper or around the freezer papper?  Does it matter?  I'm not at that stage yet, but I'm just wondering.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am thankful for laughter, except when milk comes out of my nose.  ~Woody Allen
rasita
« Reply #10862 on: April 23, 2010 03:52:27 PM »

I have used craft velour before, and it doesn't fray, has slight stretch (very minimal actually) and is a dream to cut and sew. I also use doe suede and faux suede
And about the poppet:  Do you sew on the freezer papper or around the freezer papper?  Does it matter?  I'm not at that stage yet, but I'm just wondering.
I cut out my poppet with a seam allowance and then just sew it from there, so I am not sewing the paper. But I think you can place on the freezer paper and sew over the top of it.
Different techniques work better for different people so you just have to choose what you feel more comfortable with
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Belladune
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10863 on: April 23, 2010 04:24:57 PM »

just got the pattern from Ghillie.... 8 pages of instructions?!? Shocked  oh goodness... I think I'll be reading them all the way through before I start.... No diving in and cuting and sewing blindly on this one with instructions that long!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ghilie

Good Cookie Designs

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10864 on: April 23, 2010 04:35:38 PM »

I talk alot.  lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit http://ghilie.wordpress.com/ for the poppet pattern.

"I grow old, I grow old, I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled."
lovesclutter

msassive stroke March 18 not right in the head.:(

« Reply #10865 on: April 23, 2010 04:59:53 PM »

Belladune, do just that. And ask any ?? in here. Your gnome warrior is shorter legs and arms, but the same.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
averyg

Personal poppet swap? PM me!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10866 on: April 24, 2010 09:48:25 AM »

I have used craft velour before, and it doesn't fray, has slight stretch (very minimal actually) and is a dream to cut and sew. I also use doe suede and faux suede

Yeah, I don't find that my velour really frays whatsoever, but I do find that mine has major stretch, just using the regular sized poppet pattern with no alterations, my poppets tend to be on average 16-18 inches tall, quite a bit taller (I believe) than when one uses alova suede.

just got the pattern from Ghillie.... 8 pages of instructions?!? Shocked  oh goodness... I think I'll be reading them all the way through before I start.... No diving in and cuting and sewing blindly on this one with instructions that long!

It looks intimidating, but it really isn't. It'll all make a lot of sense in a short period of time, and as lovesclutter said, we are all here to help!
Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Laugh_out_Loud
There aren't enough hours in a day for crafting!

View Profile
« Reply #10867 on: April 24, 2010 06:09:57 PM »

Thank you everyone!  Now I can get started on my poppet! 
(Page 925, only 195 more pages to go!) Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am thankful for laughter, except when milk comes out of my nose.  ~Woody Allen
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

« Reply #10868 on: April 24, 2010 06:27:35 PM »

Read through it but don't feel bad if you don't "get" it while reading. Some of it only makes sense once you start. Smiley So long as you go slowly and don't rush the process your poppet will be fine!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Belladune
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10869 on: April 24, 2010 07:16:06 PM »

Thanks for the encouragement ladies!  I'm only on page 30 of this thread(i'm a slow reader)  But I've read the instructions and I'm a little daunted yet, that's okay though.  I can do it... Now Questions: (I'm guessing these were likely answered multiple times in the thread, but I'm eager) Can I use any button with a shank?  And do the needles really need to be that big? or will a regular old big needle do? (like one that can be threaded with chunky yarn and is about 1 3/4 inches)  I'm not sure where I'd find a big huge needle like that around here other then online...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 1085 1086 [1087] 1088 1089 ... 1280 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2016: The Roaming Gnome
@Home This Weekend: Welcoming Door Decor
Trim the Tree: Crafty Ornaments for the Holiday Season

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...