A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,169
Currently Running With Scissors:
632 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 1079 1080 [1081] 1082 1083 ... 1317
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Ongoing Poppet and Punkin-Along  (Read 1333928 times)
Tags for this thread: poppet  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AlwaysInspired

Craft Swap Super Hero

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10800 on: January 23, 2010 08:13:55 PM »

The storm trooper is great Eliea. I don't know anything about the movies, but I can appriciate all the hard work that went into something so detailed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

averyg

Personal poppet swap? PM me!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10801 on: January 24, 2010 11:25:13 AM »

It seems like I haven't been in the poppet-along in forever!
But my poppet dry spell has dwindled out and I am making a poppet for the IYP...

I am using a handspun yarn for the hair of the poppet. The texture of the yarn is somewhat like this: http://ny-image1.etsy.com//il_fullxfull.118280189.jpg, it has some tighter areas spun-ness (?!?- I am entirely unfamiliar with yarn and whatnot Wink )... and then it has some areas with really loose spun-ness. I find that when I cut the yarn in the loose areas, it unravels the yarn.

So what I was wondering was if anyone had any suggestions as to how to prevent the unraveling? I was thinking of using hair wax on the botton of the yarn, as the yarn is like dreadlocks, or I was wondering if I could use white glue on the bottom?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

kinoni
« Reply #10802 on: January 24, 2010 04:17:46 PM »

here:
okay here's what you do: starting with the yarn, wrap it from your fingers to your elbow (TO MAKE  LARGE LOOPS) until there is no more yarn tuck the end inside, then take some other yarn or embroidery thread, tie little pieces around the loops about four of them, to keep it untangled. fill a sink or a basin with hot water (as hot as you can bear it) place the yarn in there, gently squeezing, then place something on top to weigh it down, squeeze a bit more (gently!!!) then leave it there for about half an hour or until no more bubbles come put when you squeeze, them hook it around the faucet like so:

and pull hard, then pull while twisting (wringing) the yarn, and repeat (you have to do this part aggressively) then take it out, and hang one end of the loop on a clothes hanger and on the other end place 3 or four other hangers to weigh it down, take out when dry, and cut off the little loops of embroidery thread or other yarn, It should be good!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010 08:26:44 PM by mudpuddles » THIS ROCKS   Logged
moriko_kitsune
« Reply #10803 on: January 24, 2010 06:16:16 PM »

I have been wanting to make poppets for a long time and finally got the chance this winter. They became Christmas presents. I stupidly forgot to get picture of the first one I made which I gave to my niece but I did get ones of the second one I made. The other one I made for a friend and it looks just like her comic book character. Her comic can be found here http://www.redzone-comic.com/ .
Here he is standing

and then sitting

and finally from the back so he can show off the streaks in his hair

He turned out so cool and now I'm officially hooked. My niece sadly wasn't interested in her's because she is so spoiled and if it doesn't come from a store she has no interest in it. However, my friend loved her's so much and said she couldn't have gotten a better present. So that made it all worth it again. Thank you Ghillie for giving me the opportunity to make something so cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
averyg

Personal poppet swap? PM me!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10804 on: January 24, 2010 07:29:20 PM »

here:
okay here's what you do: starting with the yarn, wrap it from your fingers to your elbow (TO MAKE  LARGE LOOPS) until there is no more yarn tuck the end inside, then take some other yarn or embroidery thread, tie little pieces around the loops about four of them, to keep it untangled. fill a sink or a basin with hot water (as hot as you can bear it) place the yarn in there, gently squeezing, then place something on top to weigh it down, squeeze a bit more (gently!!!) then leave it there for about half an hour or until no more bubbles come put when you squeeze, them hook it around the faucet like so:okay here's what you do: starting with the yarn, wrap it from your fingers to your elbow (TO MAKE  LARGE LOOPS) until there is no more yarn tuck the end inside, then take some other yarn or embroidery thread, tie little pieces around the loops about four of them, to keep it untangled. fill a sink or a basin with hot water (as hot as you can bear it) place the yarn in there, gently squeezing, then place something on top to weigh it down, squeeze a bit more (gently!!!) then leave it there for about half an hour or until no more bubbles come put when you squeeze, them hook it around the faucet like so:  and pull hard, then pull while twisting (wringing) the yarn, and repeat (you have to do this part aggressively) then take it out, and hang one end of the loop on a clothes hanger and on the other end place 3 or four other hangers to weigh it down, take out when dry, and cut off the little loops of embroidery thread or other yarn, It should be good!  and pull hard, then pull while twisting (wringing) the yarn, and repeat (you have to do this part aggressively) then take it out, and hang one end of the loop on a clothes hanger and on the other end place 3 or four other hangers to weigh it down, take out when dry, and cut off the little loops of embroidery thread or other yarn, It should be good!okay here's what you do: starting with the yarn, wrap it from your fingers to your elbow (TO MAKE  LARGE LOOPS) until there is no more yarn tuck the end inside, then take some other yarn or embroidery thread, tie little pieces around the loops about four of them, to keep it untangled. fill a sink or a basin with hot water (as hot as you can bear it) place the yarn in there, gently squeezing, then place something on top to weigh it down, squeeze a bit more (gently!!!) then leave it there for about half an hour or until no more bubbles come put when you squeeze, them hook it around the faucet like so:
 and pull hard, then pull while twisting (wringing) the yarn, and repeat (you have to do this part aggressively) then take it out, and hang one end of the loop on a clothes hanger and on the other end place 3 or four other hangers to weigh it down, take out when dry, and cut off the little loops of embroidery thread or other yarn, It should be good!

OMGosh! I did not think I would get such a great explanation! Thanks so much! I will def. be trying that out Cheesy

And I love your picture... Gotta love Paint Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kinoni
« Reply #10805 on: January 24, 2010 08:33:20 PM »

Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kinoni
« Reply #10806 on: January 24, 2010 08:43:23 PM »

no progress on poppet, i lost some of my fabric, but i found this weird fleece (it IS fleece)
that has no stretch AT ALL one way and a bit the other way. So very un-fleece-like
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ghilie
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Good Cookie Designs

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10807 on: January 25, 2010 04:48:24 AM »

no progress on poppet, i lost some of my fabric, but i found this weird fleece (it IS fleece)
that has no stretch AT ALL one way and a bit the other way. So very un-fleece-like

lol, that's a good poppet fleece then.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit http://ghilie.wordpress.com/ for the poppet pattern.

"I grow old, I grow old, I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled."
Anne11
« Reply #10808 on: January 25, 2010 05:16:47 AM »

moriko_kitsune  --- i think your guy is sweet! i love the outfit and the streak in his hair. i'm in the prosess of making my first poppet. i got the arms and legs sewn and stuffed now i've just got to get the rest finished(it's slow going as a have a three year old  who likes to help) . hopefully i'll be able to post some pics soon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10809 on: January 25, 2010 07:19:01 AM »

He turned out so cool and now I'm officially hooked. My niece sadly wasn't interested in her's because she is so spoiled and if it doesn't come from a store she has no interest in it. However, my friend loved her's so much and said she couldn't have gotten a better present. So that made it all worth it again. Thank you Ghillie for giving me the opportunity to make something so cool.
I would ask for it back then. No point giving something that isn't appreciated and that you worked so hard on. And I would tell her that till she can appreciate it you will keep it safe.

Just me though.

You poppet pictured is cute! I love the streaks in the hair!

Anne11 can't wait to see it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 1079 1080 [1081] 1082 1083 ... 1317 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Using Illustrator® Files in InDesign
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Using Photoshop® Files in InDesign
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Creating Guides Using the Line Tool
Adobe Illustrator CS2 - How to Open Files from Bridge
Macromedia Flash 8 - Adding Transparency to a Gradient
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...