A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,524
Currently Running With Scissors:
484 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 948 949 [950] 951 952 ... 1317
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Ongoing Poppet and Punkin-Along  (Read 1342947 times)
Tags for this thread: poppet  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rasita
« Reply #9490 on: June 06, 2009 03:03:24 PM »

Thanks guys, I will have to check it out later
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aquasnow

Is taking a break from swaps for a while.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9491 on: June 06, 2009 04:29:13 PM »

Im working on a project right now and I am getting slightly frustrated with my sewing machine.... It keeps starting to bunch up... and its really annoying.....  How can I get it to stop bunching up?  The machine is barely 4 years old and other than bunching up it works almost perfectly.  I say almost because the foot petal keeps getting loose and falling off and every 10 mins or so of usage I keep having to reattach it to the machine..... 

So yeah How can I fix those problems without having to fork over extra money to get it fixed?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am taking a break from swaps for a while.  I am not accepting any personal swaps at this time until around Christmas time.  Sorry for the inconvenience.
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

« Reply #9492 on: June 06, 2009 06:09:46 PM »

Im working on a project right now and I am getting slightly frustrated with my sewing machine.... It keeps starting to bunch up... and its really annoying.....  How can I get it to stop bunching up?  The machine is barely 4 years old and other than bunching up it works almost perfectly.  I say almost because the foot petal keeps getting loose and falling off and every 10 mins or so of usage I keep having to reattach it to the machine..... 

So yeah How can I fix those problems without having to fork over extra money to get it fixed?
I would go over to the sewing machine forum for that problem. They may be able to help you tweek your settings without spending money. Some of those ladies are super clever.
But to be most basic are you SURE you're using the right needle for your fabric? If you're not sure it looks like you have a woven lightweight fabric and there are needles specifically made for that. Check the package to be sure it should have a "key" on the back to tell you what the needles are for.
Also I have gotten to the point where I change my needle almost every poppet just due to the thickness of the alova suede. But it's really totally not necessary it just saves ME a headache. lol

on the freezer paper note. If anyone wants some who can't get it in there area I'd be happy to mail some to you. I bought a huge roll when I started making poppets and have TONS left.
Basically the trick to being able to re-use your pattern is to sew slowly. If you rush it you'll sew on the pattern and it will tear. If you sew with the edge of the pattern just under the edge of the presser foot and go slowly it will not sew on your pattern and you can carefully remove and reuse. I tend to rush around fingers so I have to re-make hand patterns on the smaller ones all the time. lol
I've gotten better at taking my time though now that I've made so many. I think the rush to get them done has been overcome by the need for them to be perfect.

On a non poppet related note! WE finally got a new digital camera! I'm so excited! *does happy dance* I can finally photograph my own swap items again and my own craft projects!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aquasnow

« Reply #9493 on: June 06, 2009 08:49:18 PM »

I checked my manual and I undid my machine and put it back together according to the manual... annnnd...

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I finally figured out how to thread the bobbin right!!   *does a happy dance*

Good thing numero dose -  It turned out that according to my manual my tension for the bobbin was too loose.  I had it set at a 3, and I tried out different settings and the more loose I got with the settings, the bigger the nest got so I made it tighter, and I went all the way to a 7 and the tension was PERFECTO!! WAAAAAAAOOOOO!!! *dies* I am so glad I dont have to turn this machine in for maintenance, though I do need to get it oiled soon... I just dunno how to oil it.... *le sigh*

On the up side, I found out how to convert the footer to free style mode, so maybe my next poppet or 2 will turn out better when I do one by machine.

Annnnnd....

I FOUND MY YELLOW FABRIC!!!

I have a little less than a half a yard of it left, so I will be making a yellow poppet as par the request from earlier.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am taking a break from swaps for a while.  I am not accepting any personal swaps at this time until around Christmas time.  Sorry for the inconvenience.
Seraphina_de_Sangre
The Daredevil Sky Pirate

Down to a 12 and shedding more lbs. everyday!

View Profile
« Reply #9494 on: June 06, 2009 10:10:22 PM »

YAY! I'm happy for you aquasnow, I can't wait to see the yellow poppet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Swaps
Multi-Themed Steampunk Swap

Wist
aquasnow

« Reply #9495 on: June 06, 2009 11:07:50 PM »

thanks!! Im gonna make the yellow one after I conquer the poppet for the poppet swap Im in ^___^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

littlezo

zoe is my name and crafting is my game ;)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9496 on: June 07, 2009 02:35:10 AM »

yay poppet swap!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

may be interested in a personal swap pm if you would like to discuss it

http://www.wists.com/minimaker95

http://www.flickr.com/photos/minimaker/
lovesclutter
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Nothing is safe in its native form.

« Reply #9497 on: June 07, 2009 04:59:33 AM »

Eliea I didn't recognize you. Wink Hope you are feeling better.

Aquasnow, you may be able to oil your own machine too, some manuals have instructions for cleaning and oiling. I also was working on a poppet in this very fuzzy yellow material and it got fibres in the air and everywhere. I cleaned my machine out the best I could when I finished sewing that.

I have a free motion foot, but not brave enough to try that yet. Can't wait to see what we all make. I'm printing patterns today to start on a poppet for my mother.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
KimD
« Reply #9498 on: June 07, 2009 06:12:49 AM »

I can't wait to see the yellow poppet.  I don't like yellow but my 14yr old does.  She wants a poppet because I have used her favorite jeans that were quite holey where they shouldn't have been for jeans for my nieces poppet.  I made a poppet for a birthday present for one of my 9 yr olds good friends birthday yesturday, and her other good freind (these 3 girls are never seen with out the others) comes right up to me and says "What, you have never made me a poppet all you have ever made me is"(and she goes down the list of what I have made her).  I also made a bag to put her Poppet in and ice cream cupcakes that her mom asked me to make.  The other girls birthday is in October and she told me she wanted a poppet, bag, icecream cupcakes, not to forget.  Her 18 yr old sister comes over to find her mom seen the poppet (she knew I made it) "You need to make me one of these for my room" I have had to make her everything that I have made her sister.  Last weekend we had to go to a Sweet 16th birthday party for another girl on the road.  Yesturday she asked me why I didn't make her a poppet for her birthday.  I didn't think she would want one.  She said I better get hers made pronto. 

The little girl that I am making a poppet for her 2nd birthday, keeps trying to take every poppet that I make for herself.  Her birthday isn't until August but I think that she is going to have to have an early birthday present.  Every time she sees them she looks at me "mine" "please".

Also yesturday was part of our city garage sale day.  I didn't go since I had to have things done for that party yesturday.  My mom stopped on her way home to see if I was riding with her to the races also to drop off material she bought me at one garage sale to see if I could use it for poppets.  Yep I can.  One she found she said would make a great poppet to match her family room.  So that was a hint to make her one also.  I really need to get going on all these I have to make.  Plus need to find time to make my 9yr olds while they are still in school so it's a suprise on her birthday.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HandsyMalone

Also answers to Leroy...long story

View Profile
« Reply #9499 on: June 07, 2009 08:13:58 AM »

Ok, I finally finished my first poppet.  *sigh*  I had a few minor issues, figured out how to better do things (or at least how NOT to do things) and I'm ready for the next one!  I'm planning on starting today, after I dedicate some time to my current swap that I'm in.  Cheesy  At least I'm mostly done with it...I think.  LOL!  Anyways, on to the link and a teaser pic
Maleah, HM's first poppet

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 948 949 [950] 951 952 ... 1317 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Crab Cakes
How to Make Potato Pancakes
Red Bean Succotash Recipe
How to Make Dinner with Only 5 Ingredients
How to Make Crab Fritters
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...