A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,460
Currently Running With Scissors:
591 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 824 825 [826] 827 828 ... 1317
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Ongoing Poppet and Punkin-Along  (Read 1342285 times)
Tags for this thread: poppet  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ghilie
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Good Cookie Designs

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8250 on: February 02, 2009 05:18:26 PM »

The main issue for the fabric is:  Is it a woven or a knit?  Wovens will have strings hanging off the cut edge, or you will be able to pull threads from the cut edge.  Wovens are NOT EASY to use.  My suggestion is to use polar fleece then, if you can't find the recommended material.  Polar fleece is a knit, and will stretch more than Alova, so your poppet will be bigger.  It is also easy to sew.

Second, any metal shank button will work for joints so long as it is the approximate size.  You don't have to get the Dritz half ball cover buttons, they are just really strong and easy to find if there is a JoAnn's nearby.  Plastic shank buttons aren't so great, as the shank may break.  That's a major fix!

Walmart usually carries alova suede in the winter.  It's spring fabric time, though, so poppets go through slim pickins this time of year.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit http://ghilie.wordpress.com/ for the poppet pattern.

"I grow old, I grow old, I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled."
kstaron
« Reply #8251 on: February 02, 2009 06:24:40 PM »

If you can't find Alova suede, I had good luck using a felted cashmere sweater (it had a hole in the shoulder and I got it from the thrift store for 96 cents!) for my poppet body. She turns out kinda chubby since theres alot of stretch in the fabric, but she's awfully cute and really, really soft.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

susief00

Live and let.......Crochet!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8252 on: February 02, 2009 07:03:07 PM »

Thanks for the advice Smiley

If I start practicing now I might be ready for my Alova poppet by the time the winter fabrics get back in...lol

Is it bad that I haven't even made one yet...but I have already saved a list on my computer of poppets I want to make? Wow...now that has to prove they are addicting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sugarglass
currently trying to change me

Join the dark side; we have cookies!

View Profile
« Reply #8253 on: February 02, 2009 08:42:29 PM »

Hi!

I have been looking through this thread for the last two days and I am just dying to own my very own poppet!! They are so original, customizable and just plain adorable!

I don't have any sewing skills to speak of though...and I don't really have a sewing machine...but I have decided to give it a try anyways...lol. I may be getting a sewing machine in the near future...keeping my fingers crossed.

I haven't read the whole thread....but I have skimmed a lot of it and I have went through all 43ish pages of images only....y'all have done some lovely work!!

Thanks so much to rlynn and digital misfit for summing up the thread!!! I have found that incredibly useful.

I am going to Wal-mart today to scope out what kind of supplies they have. I already know they do not have eyes as I have looked for them several times for some of my crochet creations, but maybe they have some other things I might need.

I don't know if i'll be able to do this...but i'm going to give it a shot!!
hi to you too!! Smiley Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my wists
i'm not the same anymore, and frankly, i'm beginning to hate myself
Seraphina_de_Sangre
The Daredevil Sky Pirate

Down to a 12 and shedding more lbs. everyday!

View Profile
« Reply #8254 on: February 02, 2009 09:15:08 PM »

Hey guys, Littlezo asked me to write up a tutorial on how to make a crocheted poppet top, and so here it is. I hope it will be helpful for others too:

Shirts/Tanks
1.) Start out with a chain a little bigger than your poppets stomach. I recommend a g hook for most yarn but if you only have bigger/smaller hooks you can use those if you want.

2.) Crochet into the second stitch, all the way to the end, turn and repeat. IMPORTANT: Make sure that after the first two rows that the chain reaches all the way around the poppets back and touches.

3.) Keep going until you reach one row before your poppets waist. If you started at the waist skip this step. You can, if you want, make the shirt a little more fitted by decreasing a couple of stitches for 2-3 rows and then when the waist starts to widen again go back to the original number of stitches. Continue until you reach the underarm/bust and end.

5.) Now you should have something that looks like a smaller square-like shape, on top of a rectangle. I used hdc here. Continue turning, you may want to decrease every now and then for a snugger fit, until you reach where the top of the bust would be. At one end, pick up about 3-4 stitches to make the strap, continue in the same fashion of crocheting and turning until you get a length that goes up to the shoulder, I decreased once. Leave a long string when you finish and cut the yarn and repeat for the other strap. You wont have to end and pick up a new yarn for this strap but you will for the other.

6.) You're done! Use the same colored yarn to weave into the back and tie the sides together like a corset and tie the stings that you left hanging off of the straps behind the neck. You can add sleeves, in theory (a little difficult, I haven't attempted to yet).

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Swaps
Multi-Themed Steampunk Swap

Wist
Chloecat
« Reply #8255 on: February 02, 2009 10:56:22 PM »

I brought a dolls clothes pattern for those 18" plastic looking dolls the old ones,but now I have no idea what ratio or pixel size to shrink it too for the poppet.
If anyone can help and it works when I make it i can email the pattern when its resized.
I know it is about 5 inches too big all over for any poppet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/nesst

Looking to do swap im after Alova Suede,will do personal swap with Usa in exchange for fabric.
littlezo

zoe is my name and crafting is my game ;)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8256 on: February 03, 2009 08:57:04 AM »

edited

thank you thank you thank you

i understand fully now

xx
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009 12:43:35 PM by littlezo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

may be interested in a personal swap pm if you would like to discuss it

http://www.wists.com/minimaker95

http://www.flickr.com/photos/minimaker/
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8257 on: February 03, 2009 09:21:11 AM »

pst littlezo- you aren't supposed to quote images. if you remove one of the [img] tags from the end of each picture it should be fine. Smiley or just take the pictures out all together.

Thanks for the advice Smiley

If I start practicing now I might be ready for my Alova poppet by the time the winter fabrics get back in...lol

Is it bad that I haven't even made one yet...but I have already saved a list on my computer of poppets I want to make? Wow...now that has to prove they are addicting!

some other fabrics to look for: Robe velor feels very simillar to fleece but is a bit less stretchy I think? usually over near the specialty fabrics.
Velor clothing: VERY stretchy but I used a blue velor top to make Azul and she actually didn't stretch out too much more than average, maybe an inch larger all around.
flannel: Works great but you HAVE to use very small stitches. I also recomend washing and drying the fabric first as it removes the "finish" they put into it to make it lay nice on the bolt and softens it up. I've made 1 poppet with flannel so far and it stuffed great. my stitch setting was less than 6 per inch. (I think it's an old machine so hard to tell for sure)
I have used a poly/cotton blend before and used the same method as mentioned above (small stitches, washed and dried first) and it worked out just fine but the poppet is a bit Chunkier than I planned.
T-shirts: they're a bit stretchy but you can dye them with "rit" dye (or someone used sharpies) and can be a great way to recycle.

Did I cover all the fabric options guys?

I've used regualr metal shank buttons in a majority of my poppets and they work great. I like them because I can buy a larger size for the leg joints and position the buttons perfectly for the hips. I have started using the metal buttons recommended becasue I got some in swap and walmart stopped selling the buttons I like. Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bellalupina
« Reply #8258 on: February 03, 2009 08:53:28 PM »

I've been majorly holding out on you guys...sorry!  It only took me six months to finally get photos of this girl, no biggie. Tongue

Check out her post here! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=290622.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack." ~Rudyard Kipling

http://moonlit0wolfess.deviantart.com/

www.myspace.com/katherineelisemusic

I do personal swaps!
goldfishpollywog
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Goldfish kisses *<><

I have Never met an unimportant person. Never.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8259 on: February 03, 2009 09:47:41 PM »

Beautiful details on Tori!  I craft for therapy sanity too. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Pin(trest) are mightier than the sword.

LV Tumblr - possible swap spoilers
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 824 825 [826] 827 828 ... 1317 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Style Thick Wavy Hair for a Round Face
Hair Styling Tips for an Oval Face
How to Style Thick and Wavy Hair to a Square Face
How to Style Coarse Hair for an Oval Face
How to Style Straight Hair for a Square Face
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...