A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,448
Currently Running With Scissors:
696 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 790 791 [792] 793 794 ... 1317
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Ongoing Poppet and Punkin-Along  (Read 1342021 times)
Tags for this thread: poppet  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7910 on: November 03, 2008 02:30:38 PM »

I don't know how many of you have walmarts near you but all the fun eyelashes are supposed to be discounted 50% off. I just bought 10 pair! Smiley
Do make sure you know how much they cost though I bought some a few weeks before halloween and I don't think I got the 50% discount on some I bought today. I'm trying to find my receipt but it may be a lost cause! lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jolliebell
« Reply #7911 on: November 05, 2008 06:43:04 AM »

Bah... I couldn't find any of the halloween eyelashes... boo! Oh well, I snatched a couple of pairs while they were in stock, so I'm set for another poppet or two.

Poppets 3 & 4 are mid construction and intended for my 9 and 10 year old sisters for Christmas. Neither are perfect, even this early in the construction, but good enough.

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried using the bendy clay for shoe-making? I've seen sculpty soles, but I'm trying for more of a rubber All-Stars sole and toe effect. Anyone have any experience with this particular medium or project?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jessvict
« Reply #7912 on: November 05, 2008 08:15:26 AM »

I was thinking of making a couple of these for christmas, how long does it take to finish one?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AlwaysInspired

Craft Swap Super Hero

« Reply #7913 on: November 05, 2008 08:23:47 AM »

I can sew up the body and have it stuffed and jointed in about 4 hours. Then the clothes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SamJ
« Reply #7914 on: November 05, 2008 09:06:24 AM »

I was thinking of making a couple of these for christmas, how long does it take to finish one?

my first poppet lucy took me about 8 hours completely assembled  Grin
my second is actually coming along much slower!!!!  Embarrassed

lucy was a 'must-have-it-now' poppet, where as number 2 is a 'when-i-have-time-ill-pick-you-up-and-do-a-little-bit' poppet

Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://knitsamknit.blogspot.com/

http://www.wists.com/SamJ

where do i get freezer paper from??? im in the UK so does it have another name??? please help me!!!!
sactownsue
The world is a circle...

MrMiagi '01 - aka rascal - We miss you MissDaisy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7915 on: November 05, 2008 09:36:12 AM »

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried using the bendy clay for shoe-making? I've seen sculpty soles, but I'm trying for more of a rubber All-Stars sole and toe effect. Anyone have any experience with this particular medium or project?
I don't remember reading about anyone using it. But it seems like it should work. If you're careful you could bake it on the cloth. Toaster oven element might be too close to the fabric.
I've seen similar shoes for AG dolls that were made using white vinyl w/ the tricot backing for that look.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MAKE: something of yourself
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
"Everything is deeply intertwingled." - Ted Nelson, ca 1974
wists-fulness - http://wists.com/SacTownSue/

Rarely online these days. Will respond to PM when I notice them. AT&T SNAFU!
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

« Reply #7916 on: November 05, 2008 10:01:27 AM »

Bah... I couldn't find any of the halloween eyelashes... boo! Oh well, I snatched a couple of pairs while they were in stock, so I'm set for another poppet or two.

Poppets 3 & 4 are mid construction and intended for my 9 and 10 year old sisters for Christmas. Neither are perfect, even this early in the construction, but good enough.

I think craftewoman used clay for shoe related things once. for the toe of the shoe though I'd use fun foam or plastic from a food container. You could still sew through either and they'd both be nice and shiny like the rubber toe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #7917 on: November 05, 2008 10:03:39 AM »

I have learned I have to go slowly or I mess things up. So It takes me a few hours each day for about 3-4 days. I have pushed and made 3 poppets in a week and a half before. For me what takes longest is the stuffing. I can joint, and sew pretty quickly.
I found if I grab my bag of stuffing, poppet parts and a chopstick and watch a movie as I stuff it goes faster. lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7918 on: November 05, 2008 10:09:47 AM »

I've used Sculpey clay only for the sole of the shoe. I craft the entire shoe and then glue the sole to it after baking it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sactownsue
The world is a circle...

MrMiagi '01 - aka rascal - We miss you MissDaisy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7919 on: November 05, 2008 10:53:39 AM »

I've been reading some of the poly-clay posts and according to DianeB. Sculpey is more brittle when thin than the other brands. But I don't have any practical experience w/ it. I've only worked with Fimo and that was many years ago. I like the ease of cutting fun foam. The shoes I was referring to are at Michaels in the doll and teddy section. I think sewing and/or gluing  is easier. If you think clay is easier give it a try and let us know what happens. Whatever you do please share your results with us. The good and not so good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MAKE: something of yourself
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
"Everything is deeply intertwingled." - Ted Nelson, ca 1974
wists-fulness - http://wists.com/SacTownSue/

Rarely online these days. Will respond to PM when I notice them. AT&T SNAFU!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 790 791 [792] 793 794 ... 1317 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 12/28
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 14/28
How to Crochet a Sidesaddle Shell Stitch Part 5/6
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 10/28
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 16/28
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...