A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 316,593
Currently Running With Scissors:
278 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 754 755 [756] 757 758 ... 1280
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Ongoing Poppet and Punkin-Along  (Read 1731818 times)
Tags for this thread: poppet  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

stitch81
« Reply #7550 on: October 16, 2008 06:09:46 AM »

How do you guys position your eyelashes?  And what kind do you use?  My Hobby Lobby only had these horribly cheap crappy looking plastic ones, so I picked up a set of "real" ones from the cosmetics section in Wal-mart.  I attempted to place them, but they seem to point downward too much, and don't look right.  Any advice?

And I have a couple outfits made, but I'm waiting to get some velcro to finish the backs, and I think I will probably move the arms on them a bit so the clothes fit better.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bellalupina
« Reply #7551 on: October 16, 2008 06:21:32 AM »

Here's my new girl everyone!  She was in the planning stage forever, but after it was mentioned here, I knew I needed to get moving. Wink  Introducing my lovely World of Warcraft Draenei poppet!

You can check out her thread here:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=273966.0

My next one is actually already put together (sans eyes), but she needs a lot of extra work before I put her up.  These guys are so addictive!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack." ~Rudyard Kipling

http://moonlit0wolfess.deviantart.com/

www.myspace.com/katherineelisemusic

I do personal swaps!
jolliebell
« Reply #7552 on: October 16, 2008 11:16:47 AM »

BellaLupina - she's lovely. I adore her blue skin. :-)

Stitch - I have only the costume eyelashes that are on the shelves now and I botched the first set and had to remake the head. On the second head, however, I glued the eyelids, popped in the safety eyes and then ever so carefully placed the eyelashes right at the edge of the eyelids. Trimmed the edges that hung off the sides of the eyelids ( Cheesy ) and sat back and marvelled. The lashes do seem to sweep down and out in a crazy exaggerated manner, but they are so sweet.

I'm hoping to try regular "people" eyelashes next. I look forward to hearing how you fare with them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stitch81
« Reply #7553 on: October 16, 2008 12:55:10 PM »

Well, I think I found something that works.  I used the "real" lashes from the cosmetics department and cut them in half.  So $2.50 for one set will actually get you 2 dolls completed.  I pried up a bit of the front of the eyelids and tucked the lashes back in under the lids about halfway.  They look pretty good now.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7554 on: October 16, 2008 01:53:00 PM »

All the ones I have are faux eyelashes. I do have some from the costume section of walmart since halloween offers a variety to pick from, and I have some of the kind from the makeup section. I have both the strip lashes like stitch used^ and the kind that are in little bunches.

I usually put the eye in the dolls face. put the back on. Cut the lash in half, then place it on the eyeball where I want it. Since they have a bit of sticky stuff on them they stick to the eyeball pretty good.
Then I use a toothpick and put e-6000 glue on the eyelid. I have a little pattern piece I use to get the same shape each time.
Then I stick the eyelid to the eye. Usually I have to add a little glue to the corners of the lid since I always seem to miss that spot. But using the toothpick makes it pretty easy.
I usually do this the day I weft the hair. Since I take the longest on the hair I can do the eyes and let the glue dry overnight and by the time I'm done wefting on the sewing machine I don't really want to do anything else to the poppet for the night. lol.
The next day the glue has set and I can do her hair without fearing her eyelids moving.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008 12:41:26 PM by Eliea » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

« Reply #7555 on: October 16, 2008 01:54:21 PM »

Well, I think I found something that works.  I used the "real" lashes from the cosmetics department and cut them in half.  So $2.50 for one set will actually get you 2 dolls completed.  I pried up a bit of the front of the eyelids and tucked the lashes back in under the lids about halfway.  They look pretty good now.

http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/medium/Image0038.jpg

http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/medium/Image00212.jpg

Aw she looks great! Wonderful job! Isn't it funny how nice they look with lashes?
what type of glue did you use to put them on? My first poppet needs some "reconstructin" but I used crazy glue and I'm not sure if I can get her eyelids off!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stitch81
« Reply #7556 on: October 16, 2008 02:21:15 PM »

LOL.. E-6000.  The stuff stinks to high heaven, but sticks stronger than anything else!  Just make sure that whatever you are gluing is where you want it.  It doesn't dry instantly so you have time to manuever, but once it's dry, it's there for life.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #7557 on: October 16, 2008 03:34:53 PM »

LOL.. E-6000.  The stuff stinks to high heaven, but sticks stronger than anything else!  Just make sure that whatever you are gluing is where you want it.  It doesn't dry instantly so you have time to manuever, but once it's dry, it's there for life.
that's exactly why I switched to it after the second poppet. lol! It's good stuff though! Totally worth the stink even if my hubby doesn't think so. I use it for all kinds of things. Smiley
I suppose I shall have to play with poor moonflower and see if I can pry her felt eyelids off. I doubt it since krazy glue is pretty tough stuff...
Perhaps I could place the eyelashes over top of the felt and lay a new peice on top.
Hum will have to see if that looks strange.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
goldfishpollywog
Goldfish kisses *<><

I have Never met an unimportant person. Never.

« Reply #7558 on: October 16, 2008 04:54:30 PM »

Craftster got my husband addicted to E-6000 for his projects.  He saw me using it and wanted to try it out.  Since then, we have to keep two tubes in the household to maintain sanity. 

The eyelashes turned out great!  Thanks for the tips Eliea.  I can always use tips! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Pin(trest) are mightier than the sword.

LV Tumblr - possible swap spoilers
SableFyre
« Reply #7559 on: October 18, 2008 04:30:28 PM »

Oooh, I'm gonna have to join up... I wonder if I can get onea these made (that I'm happy with) for Xmas for my Munchkin... Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nyssa Rae
Surreal Design
My Blog - http://sablefyre.typepad.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 754 755 [756] 757 758 ... 1280 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrap Busting Artwork
Let's Monkey Around!
Meatless Monday: Lemon Cornmeal Waffles

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...