A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,217
Currently Running With Scissors:
617 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 781 782 [783] 784 785 ... 1317
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Ongoing Poppet and Punkin-Along  (Read 1334756 times)
Tags for this thread: poppet  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ghilie
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Good Cookie Designs

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7820 on: October 14, 2008 06:39:15 PM »

Okay, I think my brain is just fried right now... but can someone help me with the dress pattern?  The skirt part I understand...the bodice I don't get at all...is the narrow part on top?  the arrows indicate the fold, but is the side supposed to be on a fold as well???  Like I said, I'm sure my brain is just fried.

and I think I also found another problem with my poppets, I think I placed the arms too low, the material doesn't go up under the arms very far so it looks like the dress would start under the bust area...will probably have to go with halter dresses for these two and remember to place the arms higher for the next ones...?

there is a visual tutorial for the easy peasy dress (the one included in the pattern): http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=228402.msg2478720#msg2478720
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit http://ghilie.wordpress.com/ for the poppet pattern.

"I grow old, I grow old, I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled."
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7821 on: October 14, 2008 06:54:30 PM »

Okay, I think my brain is just fried right now... but can someone help me with the dress pattern?  The skirt part I understand...the bodice I don't get at all...is the narrow part on top?  the arrows indicate the fold, but is the side supposed to be on a fold as well???  Like I said, I'm sure my brain is just fried.

and I think I also found another problem with my poppets, I think I placed the arms too low, the material doesn't go up under the arms very far so it looks like the dress would start under the bust area...will probably have to go with halter dresses for these two and remember to place the arms higher for the next ones...?

Never fear I was confused too till I made the first one. After that they are way easy. Hang on a  sec I want to go look at the directions....

Ok to make your life easier print the pattern piece out( I assume you've done this all ready.) Then fold a second piece of paper in half short ways.
Lay your pattern piece on top with the arrow side on the fold. Trace around.
Remove pattern piece and cut out so you should ave a piece that looks like two if those taped together. or like the first picture in the tut here:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2108/2274901569_6414bc8b58.jpg?v=0
Then take your fabric (it should be slightly bigger than the pattern piece all the way around) And lay the pattern peice on top. In the second picture you see the pattern peice with the fabric underneath. The fabrics printed sides(right side)
are on the inside.

The little lines on the side are for if you want to add trim as it's easier to do that before you sew the skirt on. (if you want all your thread inside.)
The rounded part goes over where the regular poppets "chest" is and the flat long edge is where you attach the skirt.

Did that help?
If you brain is fried jsut make sure to use big stitches so if you make a mistake you can take it out easy.

As to the arm thing I'd do exactly what you mentioned above. I position my arms at just above the shoulder "area" on the body since the top part of their arm is actually the shoulder.
Either do a halter or have the girls go strapless. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stitch81
« Reply #7822 on: October 15, 2008 05:19:34 AM »

HEHEHE....I read through that and thought "oh duh"!.... I was looking at the pattern piece wrong and seeing the widest part of the pattern piece as supposing to go around the hip area...lol.  Okay, off to make some clothes now...thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7823 on: October 15, 2008 07:37:23 AM »

HEHEHE....I read through that and thought "oh duh"!.... I was looking at the pattern piece wrong and seeing the widest part of the pattern piece as supposing to go around the hip area...lol.  Okay, off to make some clothes now...thanks!

DOn't feel too bad, my first one I sewed the skirt to the bodice with the seam on  the outside. Not becasue I can't read and follow directions, but becasue I was having a brain fart. Yeah late at night+sewing+Eliea=funky end result
 Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SamJ
« Reply #7824 on: October 15, 2008 05:19:13 PM »

Grin  poppet completed Grin

pics .....coming soon

its 1.09am and i am wiped having spent the last five hours making my first poppet from scratch.

she has no hair yet thou,  she still cant make her mind up what she wants!!!
no ears .....i forgot them and quite like her without them at the moment
and she has no tail ...... she told me she didn't want a tail!!!!!  i think she wanted to stand out from the rest of the poppet family!!!!!

but she is gorgeous

thank you very much for such a great free pattern xxxxxxxxxxxxx
and ill definitely be making her a sister!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://knitsamknit.blogspot.com/

http://www.wists.com/SamJ

where do i get freezer paper from??? im in the UK so does it have another name??? please help me!!!!
SamJ
« Reply #7825 on: October 16, 2008 12:17:04 AM »

pics of my no hair, no ears, no tail poppet

shes been named Lucy by my daughter

here she is with the hair she picked last night before i eventually got to bed!!!!! 

post another pic when shes completed and clothed!!!!

xxxx

ps i used teddy/doll joints for her legs and plastic shank buttons for the arms
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://knitsamknit.blogspot.com/

http://www.wists.com/SamJ

where do i get freezer paper from??? im in the UK so does it have another name??? please help me!!!!
ghilie
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Good Cookie Designs

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7826 on: October 16, 2008 04:27:02 AM »

Oftentimes the problem with teddy bear joints is in the positioning.  Once they're on, they're there for ever!  You did a great job, Lucy is nice and even.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit http://ghilie.wordpress.com/ for the poppet pattern.

"I grow old, I grow old, I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled."
stitch81
« Reply #7827 on: October 16, 2008 06:09:46 AM »

How do you guys position your eyelashes?  And what kind do you use?  My Hobby Lobby only had these horribly cheap crappy looking plastic ones, so I picked up a set of "real" ones from the cosmetics section in Wal-mart.  I attempted to place them, but they seem to point downward too much, and don't look right.  Any advice?

And I have a couple outfits made, but I'm waiting to get some velcro to finish the backs, and I think I will probably move the arms on them a bit so the clothes fit better.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bellalupina
« Reply #7828 on: October 16, 2008 06:21:32 AM »

Here's my new girl everyone!  She was in the planning stage forever, but after it was mentioned here, I knew I needed to get moving. Wink  Introducing my lovely World of Warcraft Draenei poppet!

You can check out her thread here:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=273966.0

My next one is actually already put together (sans eyes), but she needs a lot of extra work before I put her up.  These guys are so addictive!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack." ~Rudyard Kipling

http://moonlit0wolfess.deviantart.com/

www.myspace.com/katherineelisemusic

I do personal swaps!
jolliebell
« Reply #7829 on: October 16, 2008 11:16:47 AM »

BellaLupina - she's lovely. I adore her blue skin. :-)

Stitch - I have only the costume eyelashes that are on the shelves now and I botched the first set and had to remake the head. On the second head, however, I glued the eyelids, popped in the safety eyes and then ever so carefully placed the eyelashes right at the edge of the eyelids. Trimmed the edges that hung off the sides of the eyelids ( Cheesy ) and sat back and marvelled. The lashes do seem to sweep down and out in a crazy exaggerated manner, but they are so sweet.

I'm hoping to try regular "people" eyelashes next. I look forward to hearing how you fare with them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 781 782 [783] 784 785 ... 1317 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Ends of the Earth Photography: A Photographer Follows Her Passion
This Is What Happens When You Attach Your Camera To A Kite
Photographers Capture Urban Decay
Rineke Dijkstra: When Art Reflects Art
Bob Gruen LIVE
Latest Blog Articles
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...