A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
635 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 953 954 [955] 956 957 ... 1316
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Ongoing Poppet and Punkin-Along  (Read 1315552 times)
Tags for this thread: poppet  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9540 on: June 10, 2009 08:09:40 AM »

Thanks for all the kind and helpful words. What scares me about poppets is the fact that it involves sewing Smiley Smiley So far, I have blown such a lot of sewing projects for being too easily freaked out by small needles Smiley
What scares me about the poppet thread is maybe the speed with which it is moving, and of course the size... Maybe once I plunge into it it will be easy to swim with it... maybe it's just me and my pre-sewing anxiety Smiley Smiley
If you use a fabric that you like and doesn't fray or stretch too much you shouldn't have any trouble sewing it. Following the pattern by ironing the pieces on the fabric and then sewing around it makes it a SUPER easy first project. You can always do it in stages if you start to get overwhelmed!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aquasnow

Is taking a break from swaps for a while.

« Reply #9541 on: June 10, 2009 11:25:01 AM »

Woooooooo!!! Im so excited about that poppet swap... but now I need to get back to the quilt I am working on Smiley 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am taking a break from swaps for a while.  I am not accepting any personal swaps at this time until around Christmas time.  Sorry for the inconvenience.
averyg

Personal poppet swap? PM me!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9542 on: June 10, 2009 03:23:02 PM »

Tomorrow I am going to start working on my poppet for the swap Smiley  I have a great idea but before I actually decorate the poppet Im gonna wait to get my partner's info.

I've done the same (sorta)... I have a body all pre-cut and such, just to make the process faster (even though technically I know who my partner is... assigning them and all).

Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lovesclutter
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Nothing is safe in its native form.

« Reply #9543 on: June 10, 2009 04:11:46 PM »

Tomorrow I am going to start working on my poppet for the swap Smiley  I have a great idea but before I actually decorate the poppet Im gonna wait to get my partner's info.

I've done the same (sorta)... I have a body all pre-cut and such, just to make the process faster (even though technically I know who my partner is... assigning them and all).

Wink

Considering we aren't matched yet and not knowing what type or size, I am holding off starting.  That doesn't mean I don't have supplies lined up. *grins*

Ruby, I would definitely follow Eliea's advice, as she always seems to get it right. I've read this entire thread, I know!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
Seraphina_de_Sangre
The Daredevil Sky Pirate

Down to a 12 and shedding more lbs. everyday!

View Profile
« Reply #9544 on: June 10, 2009 07:20:54 PM »

Oh yeah, Eliea's always spot on. The first thing I ever really used my sewing machine for was a poppet, so I would definitely call it a beginners project. I recommend going in stages. Sew all the pieces, stuff & close, then joint and finish. It's less overwhelming that way, I can go anywhere from 1 day, to one week, to months to get around finishing a full poppet!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Swaps
Multi-Themed Steampunk Swap

Wist
KimD
« Reply #9545 on: June 10, 2009 07:27:51 PM »

I was at Walmart today so I picked up black felt for the requested poppet.  I will get to that tomorrow morning or after a meeting tomorrow night.  I am trying to find silver nail polish for this ones eyes but can't find it anywhere.  Saturday when I go to the next town over I am going to stop at Real Deals and pick up the yarn for this ones hair she wants purple hair on it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kraftingwithkristy
« Reply #9546 on: June 10, 2009 08:00:39 PM »

I've made another. I told you all I would stay up late to finish it. I was up till 1:00am yesterday working on this one and the arms and legs kept giving me a lot of trouble, plus I turned the legs before I made the toes and had to just make square feet.

I'm not sure how I made the last one because this one seemed a lot harder than I remembered. I think next time I will enlarge the pattern to make it easier to turn. Plus I had only light purple thread at home and dark purple felt so you can see all the stitches, but I think I will use that to my advantage later. I'm not sure what I'll do yet, but I feel she needs more.

The hair I wasn't sure on how to attach, my first one was a yarn wig, but this one I decided to sew on the hair and I did it piece by piece. I totally love the hair.

Let me know what you think.

C/c always welcome. Thanks for looking.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

« Reply #9547 on: June 10, 2009 08:07:41 PM »

She came out cute! It's perfectly normal that she was harder to turn. Felt is stiff. It doesn't like small curves and such.
What you can do next time around(I wish I'd thought to mention this) is clip the edges almost to the seam before turning and stuffing. Smaller stitches are good with felt too.

But personally I think she's totally adorable! I love her hair and everything. Oh yeah blowing up the pattern would help too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amigurl55

I already did!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9548 on: June 10, 2009 09:05:27 PM »

I love her little butterfly body!  She's really cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I told you: I only wrote that poem to test my printer!

My etsy shop: http://dollycouture55.etsy.com
KimD
« Reply #9549 on: June 11, 2009 05:25:36 AM »

She is really cute and I love her hair.

This morning I am going to work on my felt poppet. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 953 954 [955] 956 957 ... 1316 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Look After Your Spinning Wheel
How to Prepare a Shuttle for Weaving
How to Weave on a Traditional Loom
How to Make a Jubilee Pennant
How to Make a Jubilee Banner
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...