A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 308,099
Currently Running With Scissors:
498 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 940 941 [942] 943 944 ... 1280
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Ongoing Poppet and Punkin-Along  (Read 1820848 times)
Tags for this thread: poppet , craftalong  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ghilie
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Good Cookie Designs

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9410 on: June 28, 2009 06:50:20 AM »

You have doesuede?  Sweet.  I haven't been able to find doesuede in about 10 years.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit http://ghilie.wordpress.com/ for the poppet pattern.

"I grow old, I grow old, I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled."
DragonessD
« Reply #9411 on: June 28, 2009 07:00:55 AM »

Well ... it's not NEW fabric LOL

I made a ton of dragons years ago, and this was bought to make bigger dragons. Yeah ... that didn't happen.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HandsyMalone

Also answers to Leroy...long story

View Profile
« Reply #9412 on: June 28, 2009 01:17:30 PM »

I've not posted in this thread in a while, but I've had some thoughts/breakthroughs. Cheesy
First of all, on the hair subject, I hate having skin show through as well, so I do the wig method that's listed on the front page. It works well for me, but I will say that it uses a LOT of yarn and takes more than a bit of time.  I think the wig takes me, on average, longer than sewing the little darling together.  Smiley  I'm not sure how it will work since I have nylon doll hair coming to me for my next baby, but I'll be sure to share, lol!

Second, there was some discussion earlier about making smaller poppets from the existing pattern, and the issues that people were having with it.  The next baby I'm making needs to be substantially smaller than the others (I'm making a set that it's part of, though this first version isn't for me) so I decided I'd fiddle around and see what I could come up with.  I discovered that I can't adjust the size through Adobe for some odd reason, but I messed around with my printer's settings and figured it out.  I use a Lexmark Z730, for reference.  Here's how I did it: 
When my print screen came up, the one that allows you to pick what pages you print and all that mess, I hit the properties button.  One of the options on that screen is paper size, so I clicked on it.  There is an option for custom sized paper, so I set it to one inch smaller all around than normal (7.5W X 10H if you're curious) and then, back on the main screen, set the printer to scale the image to fit the paper.  Smiley  This seems to've worked, though I will say since I'm using felt for this one as well, I'll need to adjust the width of the tail to allow me to turn it.  Hopefully, this will help someone else out who wants to make a smaller than 'normal' poppet.

I also have some suede (buck I believe) that I ordered from the link on the first page.  If I remember correctly, they have doe as well.  Cheesy

Oh, I went to my local JoAnns the other day, to look at this coveted allova suede...I'm not impressed actually.  LOL!  That might put me in the minority, but it just didn't have the feel that I wanted it to, let alone any stretch.  Maybe my JoAnn's just sucks, they didn't really have a good color either.  I did buy some stretch suede from Hancock that I used for my first one that was REALLY nice, easy to work with, turned really well.  BUT, I made my last one, Rosealie, out of felt and I LOVED working with that.  Like I've said before, the only issue with it is that turning the tail with the measurements provided in the pattern is IMPOSSIBLE.  You've got to add about 1/4" to the whole shadoodle to get it to work.  Cheesy

Question for y'all, before I stop talking your ears off:  Does anyone else have an isue with toes??  I can't seem to get my toes to do what I think they're supposed to.  I do the foot as per the instructions, then when I lay the toe guide down, the seams on the top and bottom of the foot don't make it far enough down to close the toes and have the edge of the guide stay in the confines of the foot.  *sigh*  Maybe I'm just dumb about it, but I usually just line up the edges as best I can, then ladder stitch the toes closed once I have the feet stuffed.  Am I missing something, or is this normal???
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Seraphina_de_Sangre
The Daredevil Sky Pirate

Down to a 12 and shedding more lbs. everyday!

View Profile
« Reply #9413 on: June 28, 2009 02:42:42 PM »

I've not posted in this thread in a while, but I've had some thoughts/breakthroughs. Cheesy First of all, on the hair subject, I hate having skin show through as well, so I do the wig method that's listed on the front page. It works well for me, but I will say that it uses a LOT of yarn and takes more than a bit of time.  I think the wig takes me, on average, longer than sewing the little darling together. 

That's exactly why I haven't tried a wig.  Wink

Second, there was some discussion earlier about making smaller poppets from the existing pattern, and the issues that people were having with it.  The next baby I'm making needs to be substantially smaller than the others...

Adobe isn't the easiest to work with. I have specific settings that I have created just to print the poppet pattern. If you have photoshop it's a bit easier to tweak the pattern. The transform option allows you to do a lot of different things to images. I am going to make a baby one of these days by stretching horizontally and then squashing vertically to make a more baby-like body.

Oh, I went to my local JoAnns the other day, to look at this coveted allova suede...I'm not impressed actually.  LOL!  That might put me in the minority, but it just didn't have the feel that I wanted it to, let alone any stretch.  Maybe my JoAnn's just sucks, they didn't really have a good color either.  I did buy some stretch suede from Hancock that I used for my first one that was REALLY nice, easy to work with, turned really well.  BUT, I made my last one, Rosealie, out of felt and I LOVED working with that.  Like I've said before, the only issue with it is that turning the tail with the measurements provided in the pattern is IMPOSSIBLE.  You've got to add about 1/4" to the whole shadoodle to get it to work.  Cheesy

It's so true, alova doesn't have a lot of stretch, I've noticed that it has less now than it did when I made my first poppet, but I love it! I tried a craft velour type fabric that was specific for dolls and I hated that because it stretched WAY too much. I like Alova because you can really pack in the stuffing and everything will keep it's shape.

I haven't tried felt because I'm worried about pilling(sp?). I'm kind of a little OCD about stuff like that and it would really drive me insane. I'm trying to get my hands on some doesuede though. They don't sell it anywhere around here.

Question for y'all, before I stop talking your ears off:  Does anyone else have an isue with toes??  I can't seem to get my toes to do what I think they're supposed to... Am I missing something, or is this normal???

I'm not exactly sure that I understand your problem but you could always move the guide down until the edge of the toes is on the edge of the fabric and don't worry about the sides OR you could shrink the toe pattern a bit to make it all fit on the fabric.  Sad Wish I could be a bit more help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Swaps
Multi-Themed Steampunk Swap

Wist
HandsyMalone

Also answers to Leroy...long story

View Profile
« Reply #9414 on: June 28, 2009 03:07:09 PM »

I might give my VERY outdated PSP7 a shot, see if that gets it shrunk down...however, I looked at the proportions on the ones I DID shrink down, and it looks like it'll work really well.  And at about $2 a yard, felt isn't that serious to replace if it COMPLETELY falls apart, lol!

The felt doesn't pill too bad actually.  And where it did, I just pulled it off, et voila, it's done!  And the felt is REALLY forgiving and let me stuff it ridiculously tight!  And hid the bumpy quality of the lentils I put in the bottom of her feet to encourage her to stand up straight Smiley

As for the feet, I'll try shifting it around and see how it goes.  Smiley  All in all, the laddering isn't too bad, especially since this series all are wearing shoes, so if it's iffy, no one but me will know!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9415 on: June 28, 2009 03:18:00 PM »

I'm too lazy to do the foot guide at all. I had a similar problem with my first poppet. So now I just round the foot off across the toes and sculpt then remove the points on the ends using the tut I posted. Part of the reason I also don't use the foot guide is I just can't manipulate my machine enough by hand to get them the same on both sides and I'm really ocd about that! lol. this way I can sculpt them the same and they look like I want.

I have been using cheaper alova I got at walmart when they clearanced it out, and faux alova suede/peach skin I got off their dollar rack before they hiked the price up. It works out just as good it's only a tiny bit thinner. I was actually able to stuff it really firm and get the doll to look like I wanted!

I never played around with my printer settings to re-size the pattern I just used the copier at work. I know it's quirks much better than my printer or adobe reader's. lol
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009 03:19:07 PM by Eliea » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Seraphina_de_Sangre
The Daredevil Sky Pirate

View Profile
« Reply #9416 on: June 28, 2009 03:23:19 PM »

Lol. HandsyMalone, sometimes I do that too! I kind of feel bad at first but then I think, nobodies gonna know...

I'll have to try felt. I've seen plenty of poppets made with it and they all look really good. Do they make tan felt?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Swaps

Wist
lovesclutter

msassive stroke March 18 not right in the head.:(

« Reply #9417 on: June 28, 2009 05:00:21 PM »

Eliea's tute is the best, and I use a rounded seam sometimes for the very same reason.

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=205341.msg2535929#msg2535929

A ton of good links are on page 1.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

« Reply #9418 on: June 28, 2009 07:13:01 PM »

to comment on the felt pilling. I've noticed the newer felt doens't seem to pill nearly as bad as the stuff 10-15 years ago. I think this is from the companies making it using plastic bottles to make the fiber. A wool felt might pill eventually as well but I think wool would pill before the felt sheets. The fibers are different so they'll react totally different though.
I'm tempted to try some felt poppets myself. Seems like it would be fun to use those printed sheets they have at hobby lobby to make one out of! But I have so much poppet fabric I really need to use....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Seraphina_de_Sangre
The Daredevil Sky Pirate

View Profile
« Reply #9419 on: June 28, 2009 07:59:01 PM »

Eliea, I noticed that too, the ecofelt. I just commented about it in the Fun With Felt swap. I wasn't sure if that's the felt that they are selling on bolts though. I really noticed it a lot when crafting for this swap that I had two completely different types of felt, one which was thick and pill-y and the other which was crisper to cut and not really pilling as much. They have since phased out the old kind of felt sheets.

The only thing about the ecofelt is that it's considerably thinner. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Swaps

Wist
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 940 941 [942] 943 944 ... 1280 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Vegan Chili
@Home This Weekend: DIY Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Coffee Filter Roses

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...