A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,376
Currently Running With Scissors:
711 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 842 843 [844] 845 846 ... 1316
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Ongoing Poppet and Punkin-Along  (Read 1313291 times)
Tags for this thread: poppet  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

andy8715
« Reply #8430 on: March 09, 2009 06:39:11 PM »

I was also wondering how you guys recolor your safety eyes?  I'm working with limited resources in this small town and these eye are definitely not right.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinterest.com/andy8715
SunflowerSmiles
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8431 on: March 09, 2009 06:59:29 PM »

Eliea...what a great shape!  I need to reeeeallly practice....I want to put a pretty red mouth on my diva girl....did you use paint or a paint pen?
I was also wondering how you guys recolor your safety eyes?  I'm working with limited resources in this small town and these eye are definitely not right.
  I'm not sure about recoloring safety eyes...I haven't heard of that as of yet...but newbie doll maker here...but I do have those glass marbles that are flat on one side that I've made into eyes that I want to try as eyes for poppets....you could try that?  They're relatively inexpensive (with a coupon Wink) and use paint pens.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009 07:02:26 PM by TwistedThread » THIS ROCKS   Logged

This and That... my main blog. Drop by and say "Hello!"
  Sew Stuffed a blog about the dolls and stuffies I make
    Pinterest
SugarySweet
« Reply #8432 on: March 09, 2009 07:02:40 PM »

Here's a link to my latest poppet.  Grin

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=296071.msg3369984#msg3369984

« Last Edit: March 14, 2009 12:33:26 PM by SugarySweet » THIS ROCKS   Logged

goldfishpollywog

Goldfish kisses *<><

I have Never met an unimportant person. Never.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8433 on: March 09, 2009 09:23:33 PM »

I've recolored a few sets of safety eyes by sanding the color off of the back with an emery board, then adding color in different ways..  Sharpies work well, but will fade if exposed to rubbing alcohol.  Acrylic paint is fun, and details can be added by painting with a toothpick, but I recommend sealing it with Mod Podge or clear nail polish.  My favorite set of eyes were colored with layers of nailpolish, nice with little flecks of gold.  I don't know if that helps any,  Undecided So far, they have held up to playtime. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Pin(trest) are mightier than the sword.

LV Tumblr - possible swap spoilers
sewhappysue

addicted to dolls

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8434 on: March 09, 2009 09:56:36 PM »

I would love to know how the joints work out for you. I' strongly debating purchasing some nylon ones for my next poppet.
[/quote]
I've used the nylon doll joints and like them. I use the auto button hole maker on my machine an make a button hole just big enough for the shank, where I want the joint to be before I sew the poppet seams. It gives me a little more confidence that the poppet won't tear if she ends up with a rough and tumble playmate.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AlwaysInspired

Craft Swap Super Hero

« Reply #8435 on: March 10, 2009 06:40:51 AM »

For recoloring eyes I like to sand off the back with some sandpaper and use nailpolish. It requires no sealing of any sort and you can get some amazing colors because of the metallic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

« Reply #8436 on: March 10, 2009 08:28:05 AM »

I would love to know how the joints work out for you. I' strongly debating purchasing some nylon ones for my next poppet.
I've used the nylon doll joints and like them. I use the auto button hole maker on my machine an make a button hole just big enough for the shank, where I want the joint to be before I sew the poppet seams. It gives me a little more confidence that the poppet won't tear if she ends up with a rough and tumble playmate.
Thanks for the tip! I can totally do that! And it would make the holes line up neat too. Smiley

I used my dremmil and removed the paint off the back, then used nail polish to paint. My poppets have gone through the washer without any issues in a pillowcase. I even tossed my latest one in the dryer.
This was not intentionally an experiment but the dog found her half finished in my craft bag waiting for her hair and decided it would make a nice toy. I was going to just surface wash but her slobber drys really funky so I tossed the poppet in a pillowcase, tied the top and washed on gentle, dried on low heat. She was in the wash with regualr clothing and came out fine.

Eliea...what a great shape!  I need to reeeeallly practice....I want to put a pretty red mouth on my diva girl....did you use paint or a paint pen?
I used acrylic and fabric paints mixed together and used a toothpick to paint them on. Keep in mind this was not my first mouth. The others were not as pretty. I tried to use the tip of the bottle's nozzle to paint them on and they looked awful! I knew I wasn't steady enough for a brush so I used a toothpick. A Q-tip would have been perfect but I was out of them at the time! lol I have since vowed never to let that happen again! But as a craftster you have to make do with what you have sometimes.
proof of scary lips:

So a lot of time since then and now I was very thoughtful on how to make it better!
You could also make a stencil out of freezer paper to make sure to stay in the lines. Smiley

for those that haven't seen her my latest fondly dubbed "gothic girl" is posted here:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=296105
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SunflowerSmiles

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8437 on: March 10, 2009 09:11:41 AM »

stencil!! what a great idea!!!  I was thinking ...what would puffy paint do?  Maybe after drawing on the lips...coloring them in...then adding some dimension?  I am sooooo all over the changing the eye color...that didn't even cross my mind Undecided  I thought I was stuck with the color that you see...what you see is what you get.  Yay! craftster dolly peeps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This and That... my main blog. Drop by and say "Hello!"
  Sew Stuffed a blog about the dolls and stuffies I make
    Pinterest
Wildfyre
« Reply #8438 on: March 10, 2009 09:20:47 AM »

You can always just buy the clear safety eyes online too.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr - bonniemj

My DeviantArt - alaskanwildfyre
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

« Reply #8439 on: March 10, 2009 09:31:29 AM »

stencil!! what a great idea!!!  I was thinking ...what would puffy paint do?  Maybe after drawing on the lips...coloring them in...then adding some dimension?  I am sooooo all over the changing the eye color...that didn't even cross my mind Undecided  I thought I was stuck with the color that you see...what you see is what you get.  Yay! craftster dolly peeps!
I've been wanting to try puffing the paint on the lips I thought it would be neato too. Think of the pretty Angelina lips! You could puff them then do detail work like highlights and such!
The only problem is most puff paint tells you to iron the back so you'd have to paint the face before you sew the front of the head to the back. Not impossible just more difficult to see how it's going to go together.
Or you could use some sort of cloth in between the iron and the paint. I know they make a pressing cloth or something for that sort of thing...
Just make sure it's the kind where the color is painted on the back. I've tried painting over the ones with color mixed in and it does nothing.
I finally though have gotten sick of the sanding process so I bough clear eyes from sunshinecrafts.com They sell out quick though! I bought 50 15 mm and 50 18 mm. IO want to get some 12mm but haven't yet. I am so lazy sometimes.!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 842 843 [844] 845 846 ... 1316 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Photograph Stamping Projects
Cindy Sherman at Metro Pictures
Wedding Photography Tips
Give Me Three Minutes -- I Will Improve Your Videos
Learn about White Balance
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Melted Crayon Painting
More Art, Less Craft
Meatless Monday: No Bake Lime Cheesecake

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...