A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,467
Currently Running With Scissors:
650 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 789 790 [791] 792 793 ... 1317
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Ongoing Poppet and Punkin-Along  (Read 1342498 times)
Tags for this thread: poppet  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AlwaysInspired

Craft Swap Super Hero

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7900 on: November 02, 2008 08:47:19 AM »

I'm also working on a human. What I did was draw the ears as little half circles then gather them a little bit before you put them into the head. Make sure you place them lower down so they are in the right place. Works great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sullengal

I can not stop creating. I pray I never will.

« Reply #7901 on: November 02, 2008 08:55:07 AM »

YAY! When is the next poppet along??!?

*jonesin and in need of poppet clothes!*

~Sullengal

Do you mean poppet swap?

Um yeah. Sorry, was multi tasking last night trying to finish my Halloween costume of Hel and Loki!

Poppet Swap. I've been trying to hop on one since I need some wardrobe help for my two (almost three) girls.

I'd love to try and get in on the next one.

~Sullengal
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/sullengal
My Etsy Store - http://Omphalie.etsy.com
Ongoing Swaps :
New Moon Swap - Sent!
Krysta
Livin' In Wonderland...

'yo sup dawg?'

« Reply #7902 on: November 02, 2008 09:07:53 AM »

Check the pictures of the 'Elenore' poppets that are more human.  I believe the original had hand-painted or iron-on features.

Yeah I have that pattern, was gonna use the arms from that for a more "human" look. =] I was thinking of smaller pure black eyes for male eyes and funfur or something for the hair?

I'm also working on a human. What I did was draw the ears as little half circles then gather them a little bit before you put them into the head. Make sure you place them lower down so they are in the right place. Works great.

Did you make the ears roughly the same size as the ears with the pattern or a little smaller? Are you making the Elenore arms for your human one?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be what you would seem to be - or, if you'd like it put more simply - never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise.
AlwaysInspired

Craft Swap Super Hero

« Reply #7903 on: November 02, 2008 09:10:11 AM »

Nope I'm using the regular arms because I can't do those fingers for the life of me. I ended up making 5 arms to get 2 that worked because I tried to make the fingers. I used fun fur for his hair though and brown eyes with eyelids, but no lashes. I made the ears smaller, but it is up to you how big you think they should be.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

goldfishpollywog
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Goldfish kisses *<><

I have Never met an unimportant person. Never.

« Reply #7904 on: November 02, 2008 09:12:31 AM »

Krista, If you want human ears that lay close to the head, sew them on after assembling the head.  I used this for my Spock Doll and it worked well, just don't add the points Grin  I cut two pieces in a vague gord-like shape, sewed them right sides together, turned them and added stitching to mimic the patterns on my ear.  After finishing the head, I handstitched them to the sides of the head at the front lower part, where my ears join my head.   Undecided  

Here is where he is posted if you would like to see the ears.  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=249557.msg2770177#msg2770177   Hope that helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Pin(trest) are mightier than the sword.

LV Tumblr - possible swap spoilers
Krysta
Livin' In Wonderland...

'yo sup dawg?'

« Reply #7905 on: November 02, 2008 11:48:22 AM »

Krista, If you want human ears that lay close to the head, sew them on after assembling the head.  I used this for my Spock Doll and it worked well, just don't add the points Grin  I cut two pieces in a vague gord-like shape, sewed them right sides together, turned them and added stitching to mimic the patterns on my ear.  After finishing the head, I handstitched them to the sides of the head at the front lower part, where my ears join my head.   Undecided  

Here is where he is posted if you would like to see the ears.  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=249557.msg2770177#msg2770177   Hope that helps!

That is exactly what I was looking for! That helps a whole lot, although he'll be wearing a helmet most of the time, when you take it off I don't want him to look funny! =] I've bookmarked your thread to go back to to look at.

Spock looks great! How was that hair to work with?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be what you would seem to be - or, if you'd like it put more simply - never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise.
ClonedBravo

My 3 guys are gonna be joined by a baby in March!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7906 on: November 02, 2008 12:17:07 PM »

When I did human ears, I placed the bottom of the ears even with the botton of the nose.
It seemed to work well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I miss you Gramma! Jo Saunders, 5/20/1931- 10/11/2012

I've wisted stuff!!  http://www.wists.com/clonedbravo
Just like the Gypsy woman said!
Check out my ETSY, please! http://www.etsy.com/people/prancingdragon
Krysta
Livin' In Wonderland...

'yo sup dawg?'

« Reply #7907 on: November 02, 2008 05:12:23 PM »

Thanks for that tip Cloned! =]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

goldfishpollywog

Goldfish kisses *<><

I have Never met an unimportant person. Never.

« Reply #7908 on: November 02, 2008 09:46:22 PM »

Spock looks great! How was that hair to work with?

His hair is faux fur and cut into 8 or 9 pieces.  I e6000ed it on to keep it still while I was sewing, then handstitched each piece to the head and its hair piece neighbors.  My first attempt was the wig pattern that was in this thread, but I had trouble with the size and how the hair laid, so ripples and I sat down and cut it to lay correctly.  Really it wasn't too bad (if you ignore the toddler/preschooler interuptions) just make sure that you cut from the back of the fur with an exacto if you want the hair to stay the length you bought and work in a place that you won't lose small pieces in!  I think the couch ate a couple of sideburns Grin 

As for the pieces, there was one bangs area, two sideburns, two top, two sides, and one back head I think!  Let me know if you need anymore information, and I'll try to tug it out of my memory Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Pin(trest) are mightier than the sword.

LV Tumblr - possible swap spoilers
AlwaysInspired

Craft Swap Super Hero

« Reply #7909 on: November 03, 2008 09:57:43 AM »

When I use faux fur I take my piece and shape it to the head. Cutting slits for side burns and such. I pin it in place and see where the ripples and such are, then trim to the desired shape. Then I cut little slits where those ripples are and they will lay flat. I then take the "wig" off and slather the underside with fabri-tac. Place back on head and work it around until all of it is laying flat. It turns out very nice and the hair isn't going anywhere. It is hard to explain how to shape it to the head, but I hope that gives you some idea. I did it to Chuck the Classy Monster and the current poppet I'm working on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 789 790 [791] 792 793 ... 1317 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get What You Want at the Hairdressers
How to Get Hair Extensions
How to French Braid Hair
How to Dutch Braid Hair
How to Do a Brasillia Nova
Latest Blog Articles
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...