A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 299,133
Currently Running With Scissors:
675 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 467 468 [469] 470 471 ... 1317
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Ongoing Poppet and Punkin-Along  (Read 1407755 times)
Tags for this thread: poppet  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sactownsue
The world is a circle...

MrMiagi '01 - aka rascal - We miss you MissDaisy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4680 on: March 18, 2008 01:42:05 PM »

O.k I have a question:I tried my best to get my g-mothers treadle macheine to go.And it's definetly a no-go.So my dh bought me a hand-held sewing machine from wal-mart.(It"s all we can afford right now).So my question is has anyone ever tried one before on a poppet?And will it work on the poppet pattern?Any input would be most appreciated.Thanks.

I like gilie's option better. I wouldn't expect much from the hand held. Try it on some scraps and see how you like it. And return it while you can still get your money back

A few more options:
sewing machine and vacuum cleaner store - usually have used one's for sell - talking to them can help you understand what to look for in machines - on the other hand salesmen can be really good at blurring the truth and as we all know are not always honest
estate, probate, garage sales
look in the newspaper or weekly for used machines - put a wanted ad in the newspaper
tell people at school or church that you are looking for a used sewing machine
FREECYCLE - put a wanted ad there if it is available to you - it seems to work really well for a lot of people - it's free to try - repost monthly
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MAKE: something of yourself
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
"Everything is deeply intertwingled." - Ted Nelson, ca 1974
wists-fulness - http://wists.com/SacTownSue/

Rarely online these days. Will respond to PM when I notice them. AT&T SNAFU!
sactownsue
The world is a circle...

MrMiagi '01 - aka rascal - We miss you MissDaisy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4681 on: March 18, 2008 01:47:16 PM »

oh one more options for a used sewing machine

thrift stores

ask the workers when they get new stuff in
ask them if you can plug it in and see if it works

Do you know how to use a sewing machine?
Not that it is difficult just that it is easier to tell how well the machine is performing if you have prior knowledge.

Ask around at fabric stores if they know anyone with an old one to sell.

When it comes to things like this talk about it alot to everyone especially strangers. Lots of times people have something like this from the parents or their own that is just sitting around collecting dust.

Oh yeah I've seen them at auctions too. And I don't mean online.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MAKE: something of yourself
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
"Everything is deeply intertwingled." - Ted Nelson, ca 1974
wists-fulness - http://wists.com/SacTownSue/

Rarely online these days. Will respond to PM when I notice them. AT&T SNAFU!
craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4682 on: March 18, 2008 02:20:37 PM »

i'd choose hand stitching over that hand held unit, they aren't very good for much beyond mending.

i just bought an old machine at the thrift store for $10 last week. it's for my little boy, he's turning 7 this month and he's gonna learn how to sew, he's crafty too. it has to go in for maintenance though and that costs about $60, more if it needs extra care. still, not bad for an all metal goliath with many extra parts and an original manual.

i'd try craigslist.org too, or freecycle. good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
Ekioart
Queen of Procrastination

Working on it....No Really, I am......sorta

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4683 on: March 18, 2008 02:23:39 PM »

I haven't found a place to get roving local either, I have to order mine from different sellers online. *Mostly etsy cuz I love that place ^-~* I like my Navajo Spindle I made because it doesn't cause as much wrist pain for me as the drop spindle did. Of course I don't quite use it right in the first place. The whole shebang to make cost me $6 or so because I needed a new sanding bit for my drill to make the hole smooth and round.

I had a hand held when Hubb and I got married, I hated it. -_- Made a set of curtains and they were really crooked. Oh well. They lasted until we could afford to buy more curtains, lol. I wouldn't recommend using it for the poppet pattern. I'd go hand sewn before I used a hand held again. ^-^
(he he, MonkeyThumb and I think alike!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm bringing sexy back, I think I dropped it somewhere between the donut shop and the Cheesecake Factory.

My etsy shop
http://Ekioart.etsy.com
My Wists!
http://www.wists.com/Ekioart
I blather on about stuff here.
http://ekioart.blogspot.com/
AlwaysInspired

Craft Swap Super Hero

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4684 on: March 18, 2008 02:45:12 PM »

Ghilie, can I get that easy peasy dress pattern? I'm not sure where it is on the thread. If there is a link could you re post it? If you need my email address I'll PM you. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ghilie
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Good Cookie Designs

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4685 on: March 18, 2008 02:54:04 PM »

It's here: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=228402.msg2478720#msg2478720
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit http://ghilie.wordpress.com/ for the poppet pattern.

"I grow old, I grow old, I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled."
ClonedBravo

My 3 guys are gonna be joined by a baby in March!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4686 on: March 18, 2008 03:33:07 PM »

Hey my crafty swap sistas! I just read that someone has an idea of doing a LOTR swap. I know there was some interest in doing some character dolls from the books/movies. Since y'all love to swap so much, let's see if we can get some more interest in this idea. I think we could come up with some amazing ideas, and I'd love to have some peeps from jewelry and paper crafts and clothes join us. It could be awesome!

CharlieClone thought this was a great idea! She told me to make Gimli!!!!

we should totally do it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I miss you Gramma! Jo Saunders, 5/20/1931- 10/11/2012

I've wisted stuff!!  http://www.wists.com/clonedbravo
Just like the Gypsy woman said!
Check out my ETSY, please! http://www.etsy.com/people/prancingdragon
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4687 on: March 18, 2008 03:59:51 PM »

Nope no local roving here either. I have asked my sister to collect some of the shed horse fluff at the barn she works for. And they rescue keshonds so they are supposed to be saving that for me too. I keep begging for a long hiared dog but nothing so far. Lab fur jsut isn't spinable by itself....

Anywho I wouldn't recomend a handheld machine either. However if you do buy a cheep machine like the one ghile mentioned read the reviews! I bought one which I love but it can't sew anything thicker than t-shirt fabric.
Those types of machines are typically made with plastic insides so they break easy. It's worth the money in the long run to invest in a machine. You never know what you'll need it for.
I've made costumes, Clothing, Dresses, toys, etc. I plan to make curtains for my bedroom and kitchen!
The money I've saved making stuff for christmas has more than made up the cost of the machine.
Jsut read your reviews and don't rush into anything.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ghilie

Good Cookie Designs

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4688 on: March 18, 2008 04:02:58 PM »

Anywho I wouldn't recomend a handheld machine either. However if you do buy a cheep machine like the one ghile mentioned read the reviews! I bought one which I love but it can't sew anything thicker than t-shirt fabric.
Those types of machines are typically made with plastic insides so they break easy. It's worth the money in the long run to invest in a machine. You never know what you'll need it for.
I've made costumes, Clothing, Dresses, toys, etc. I plan to make curtains for my bedroom and kitchen!
The money I've saved making stuff for christmas has more than made up the cost of the machine.
Jsut read your reviews and don't rush into anything.

Ha!  Taking up sewing to save money!   Grin  My fabric/sewing/doll/yarn addiction is so great it requires an entire extra room.  But, as addictions go, it's cheaper than crack.   Wink

My first machine was a hand-me-down.  My second machine was a $200 Singer.  My current is a $800 Futura embroidery machine, with the thought to get another machine so I could have an embroidery machine set up full time...  No, it doesn't get cheaper...
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008 04:06:28 PM by ghilie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit http://ghilie.wordpress.com/ for the poppet pattern.

"I grow old, I grow old, I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled."
Gomerriffic
Meet my friend, Mr. Lemmy Lime!

Exsqueeze me?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4689 on: March 18, 2008 04:04:02 PM »

Hey my crafty swap sistas! I just read that someone has an idea of doing a LOTR swap. I know there was some interest in doing some character dolls from the books/movies. Since y'all love to swap so much, let's see if we can get some more interest in this idea. I think we could come up with some amazing ideas, and I'd love to have some peeps from jewelry and paper crafts and clothes join us. It could be awesome!

CharlieClone thought this was a great idea! She told me to make Gimli!!!!

we should totally do it!

Oh I missed this part of the thread! I may be able to do it in a couple of months. I have to finish one more swap n then I have a costume I've been commissioned to do. But I'll keep an eye out for this swap for sure!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 467 468 [469] 470 471 ... 1317 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Glenn Beck Talks About Arguing with Idiots
Meet Author Victoria Osteen
Skinned Book Trailer
John Carter Cash Reveals Where He Would Like to Be
Richard Dawkins Talks About The Greatest Show on Earth
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...