A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Monday, May 23 News:  It's time to vote!  Which Craftster member rocked dollar store crafting?  Cast your vote here!
Total Members: 305,655
Currently Running With Scissors:
472 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 467 468 [469] 470 471 ... 1282
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Ongoing Poppet and Punkin-Along  (Read 1673701 times)
Tags for this thread: poppet  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sactownsue
The world is a circle...

MrMiagi '01 - aka rascal - We miss you MissDaisy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4680 on: March 25, 2008 10:17:27 AM »

The current nose doesn't look very much like a kitty either, but it works.   Wink  If you put floppy ears and a short tail, it would look just as much like a doggie as the basic pattern looks like a kitty.  You could even put a patch under the eye...

you are right! i am just going to do the ears and a stubby tail i also like the patch idea. cuteness!!

Thanks for ALL the ideas everyone!!

When I was five years old I had a pink dog that I loved. Shaped like a dog not a poppet. I think it had gray plaid inner ears. this was during the mid 50's a few years before poodle skirts and skinny siamese cat pictures. Alot of stuffed animals in those days had pompom noses that were glued on. It wore a plaid tam with a pompom. At a slant. Oh man the memories you have triggered!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MAKE: something of yourself
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
"Everything is deeply intertwingled." - Ted Nelson, ca 1974
wists-fulness - http://wists.com/SacTownSue/

Rarely online these days. Will respond to PM when I notice them. AT&T SNAFU!
craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4681 on: March 25, 2008 10:25:24 AM »

If I were to not do a craft or project because I was nervous about it, I'd never get anything done. You have to jump in as if you have NO FEAR! Sammy Woo asked me once if there's anything I can't do. I told him that I don't know, because I attempt everything as if I'll be great at it. If it's not so great the first time, it's because I need more practice or training, and I'll get better. If you take that attitude, you can accomplish anything in life! Go for it!
Tell that to Corizans shoes. I'll have to take some pictures to post becasue I just can't figure out how to make them work. Perhaps you lovely ladies can give me some ideas. Smiley I've made 5 different shoes all of them failed. I do have one more pair cut out and pinned but I'm scared to sew them as they're the last of my pretty green felt. Sad

You were trying to make the crocks, right? Maybe you need to use something besides felt. Or line the felt with some pleather using the fusible web. That way you don't have a problem with stretching or tearing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4682 on: March 25, 2008 10:50:47 AM »

If I were to not do a craft or project because I was nervous about it, I'd never get anything done. You have to jump in as if you have NO FEAR! Sammy Woo asked me once if there's anything I can't do. I told him that I don't know, because I attempt everything as if I'll be great at it. If it's not so great the first time, it's because I need more practice or training, and I'll get better. If you take that attitude, you can accomplish anything in life! Go for it!
Tell that to Corizans shoes. I'll have to take some pictures to post becasue I just can't figure out how to make them work. Perhaps you lovely ladies can give me some ideas. Smiley I've made 5 different shoes all of them failed. I do have one more pair cut out and pinned but I'm scared to sew them as they're the last of my pretty green felt. Sad

You were trying to make the crocks, right? Maybe you need to use something besides felt. Or line the felt with some pleather using the fusible web. That way you don't have a problem with stretching or tearing.
Yep that's the ones.
I tried fun Foam first and it tore the stitches when I went to turn it right side out. Some pleather would be perfect but I need it in green or orange.
I had even bought stencils and had shapes cut out of the front just like the crocs.
I thought about some iron on interfacing doesn't that do the same thing? becasue I have some of that....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

« Reply #4683 on: March 25, 2008 11:03:19 AM »

Actually I was suggesting you use the pleather on the inside of the shoe. Then the green felt would show. You can get iron on interfacing that's thicker, and use that, or use the iron on stuff that's used for gluing on appliques, and glue the pleather to the felt to give it some more body. I think that using the iron on interfacing, as long as it's not the really thin stuff would probably help. The pleather could then be used on the bottom of the shoe for the sole, rather than using the fun foam.
You could also make the shoes from Sculpey. The foot on the poppets is soft, so it would conform to the shape of the hard shoe.
Isn't it great to have other people to help you brainstorm?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mloopy
« Reply #4684 on: March 25, 2008 11:21:10 AM »

Oh, I love the idea of a sculpey shoe.  Might be perfect for some cute little MaryJanes.

-Loopy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join the Harry Potter Summer 2012 Craftalong
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

« Reply #4685 on: March 25, 2008 11:45:53 AM »

Actually I was suggesting you use the pleather on the inside of the shoe. Then the green felt would show. You can get iron on interfacing that's thicker, and use that, or use the iron on stuff that's used for gluing on appliques, and glue the pleather to the felt to give it some more body. I think that using the iron on interfacing, as long as it's not the really thin stuff would probably help. The pleather could then be used on the bottom of the shoe for the sole, rather than using the fun foam.
You could also make the shoes from Sculpey. The foot on the poppets is soft, so it would conform to the shape of the hard shoe.
Isn't it great to have other people to help you brainstorm?
My only concern with putting the pleather inside would be cutting the shape out through both thicknesses of fabric. I have to use an exacto knife to get precise shape. Otherwise since they are so small you can't tell what the shape is. Sad And I am horrible at lining things up..... Any ideas there?
If they just made pleather in fun colors the world of poppeting would be so much easier! lol.
And yes it is great to have others help brainstorm. You have no idea how many things I threw away as "messed up" before craftster!
I had never even tried grommets till the poppet contest!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008 11:46:53 AM by Eliea » THIS ROCKS   Logged
sactownsue
The world is a circle...

MrMiagi '01 - aka rascal - We miss you MissDaisy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4686 on: March 25, 2008 11:51:23 AM »

Is your stitch length too short? Try a small zigzag too.
Or protect the foot of the poppet with plastic wrap. cut a sole from craft foam. and an upper from craft foam that is a little bigger. Clip the curves of the upper. And glue together. Might need an extra hand or two. Some rubber bands to hold till dry.
Practice on your scraps so less waste.
I've not tried ironing something on fun foam. I think it would melt before the fusible. I wold glue it.
They also make colored vinyl I can't remember seeing much orange or green. It can be sewn. no short stitches, or glued. In the upholstery dept.
BTW: elia I figured there was a magician or two behind the magic of my pics appearing. Thanks for being one of them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MAKE: something of yourself
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
"Everything is deeply intertwingled." - Ted Nelson, ca 1974
wists-fulness - http://wists.com/SacTownSue/

Rarely online these days. Will respond to PM when I notice them. AT&T SNAFU!
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #4687 on: March 25, 2008 11:54:39 AM »

Is your stitch length too short? Try a small zigzag too.
Or protect the foot of the poppet with plastic wrap. cut a sole from craft foam. and an upper from craft foam that is a little bigger. Clip the curves of the upper. And glue together. Might need an extra hand or two. Some rubber bands to hold till dry.
Practice on your scraps so less waste.
I've not tried ironing something on fun foam. I think it would melt before the fusible. I wold glue it.
They also make colored vinyl I can't remember seeing much orange or green. It can be sewn. no short stitches, or glued. In the upholstery dept.
BTW: elia I figured there was a magician or two behind the magic of my pics appearing. Thanks for being one of them.
No problem. Smiley Happy to help. in what small way I can.
I don't know if it was the stitches being to short. I hand sewed. I do have a lot more green fun foam though so I can try again. But I'm running low on black. I could try a double layer of felt though in it's place if I get desperate.

I have thought about using some E-6000 to glue. I also clipped my curves but that only made it worse when it was foam and foam it didn't do anything to help, when it was foam bottoms and felt uppers it just stretched it out even more!  Cheesy I will definitely take some pictures of my process and post perhaps that will give you guys an idea of my problems so we can figure it out together.  If I can find what I did with the mistakes that is!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008 11:55:39 AM by Eliea » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ekioart
Queen of Procrastination

Working on it....No Really, I am......sorta

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4688 on: March 25, 2008 12:03:23 PM »

Yay for even more new poppets!

Ok, on face painting, it would most likely be easier on the non fuzzy side of the fabric, but I've always forgotten to try that and just ended up painting on the fuzzy side. As long as your paints mixed with a fabric medium you can wash it, so if its a kiddo's go with the fabric medium! I've just been mixing my fabric paint stash and my large box of acrylics. ^-^

Ok, off to finish all sorts of other work so I can get the three poppets in my head out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm bringing sexy back, I think I dropped it somewhere between the donut shop and the Cheesecake Factory.

My etsy shop
http://Ekioart.etsy.com
My Wists!
http://www.wists.com/Ekioart
I blather on about stuff here.
http://ekioart.blogspot.com/
jaybirdiscrafty

Hi, it's been awhile!

« Reply #4689 on: March 25, 2008 12:30:11 PM »

I would love to join!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 467 468 [469] 470 471 ... 1282 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
بلجيكا تقدم باليه كسارة البندق بطابع عصري جديد
Lego Changes Bulk Order Policy After Ai Weiwei Fiasco
Nicolette Fraillon: The First Female Conductor Of The Australian Ballet
أول معرض دولي للمشغولات الليبية اليدوية في طرابلس
Melissa Errico Sings "The April Fools"
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Reusable Dryer Sheets
Tute Tuesday: Painted Background
Easy Summer Salads

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...