A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 308,224
Currently Running With Scissors:
425 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 1042 1043 [1044] 1045 1046 ... 1280
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Ongoing Poppet and Punkin-Along  (Read 1731028 times)
Tags for this thread: poppet  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bukimeisu
« Reply #10430 on: January 07, 2010 11:23:13 PM »

why can't you poppet along with us? did something happen to your machine?

i don't have room to take the supplies with me... its a 2 day long train trip and there's no checked baggage so my luggage can only be "carry on" size.... I'm a big person and so my clothes take up lots of room and those "space bags" really don't do me any justice. I've been hand sewing a couple inches a day and finally have a head but its not stuffed or anything, I could take pictures sometime the next couple days.

Edit: and Ill be away for a month, at least.. high chance I'll be moving which would postpone a lot of little crafts. Hrmm... I wonder if I could make key chain sized Poppets? those wouldn't take up too much space.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010 11:25:16 PM by bukimeisu » THIS ROCKS   Logged
mummynat
I love Bert

Wife Mum Nutter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10431 on: January 08, 2010 01:28:42 AM »

Oh my, I'm so excited to finally be posting in this thread!
About a month ago, I decided to read the entire Poppet-a-long thread. I had just taught myself to sew (by hand) and kept hearing about how this thread was filled with lots of useful information. I figured "why not?" I didn't think I'd be able to actually *make* a poppet...I figured that was more like an "ultimate" project for me (if that makes sense, lol.)

Anyway, I'm so happy to have read the whole thing. It's been so helpful teaching me about sewing/plushy making/doll making in general! Thanks to everyone that's contributed to this thread!  Grin

When I reached around the 500's or so, strange things started to happen...I'd come home and discover that some supply or another for poppet making somehow appeared in my shopping bag, lol. Once I finished the thread, I finally sucked it up and asked Ghilie for the pattern (thanks so much, by the way!)

I got a sewing machine for christmas and am still learning how to use it, but all those curves in the poppet pattern gave me nightmares about trying to attempt it, sooo I'll put that off for when I can drive that puppy better, haha. I think I'll stick with hand sewing for this first attempt.

I'm now staring in admiration at my first poppet leg! Yay!

So do I get to officially be a poppeteer with just one leg made?  Wink

WARNING poppets are addictive!!! lol
Welcome to poppet making. Well done on stitching your leg, can't wait to see the rest.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

psycho_happy_kitten
« Reply #10432 on: January 08, 2010 12:24:52 PM »

When you make a poppet, do you have to put joints in?  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Warning: Attention Deficit Crafter.
beth8144
It is just so stinkin' addictive!

CRAFTING KEEPS ME FROM GOING CRAZY!!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10433 on: January 08, 2010 01:17:31 PM »

You dont have to do anything you and your poppet dont want to. I think there are several popppets that dont have the joint the pattern call for. they are not hard to do but there have been some poppets with out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So many ideas so little time. Will I ever get them all done?
http://wists.com/beth8144
http://pinterest.com/beth8144/
ghilie
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Good Cookie Designs

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10434 on: January 08, 2010 01:24:29 PM »

You could just sew the limbs on if you wanted, but what fun would that be?  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit http://ghilie.wordpress.com/ for the poppet pattern.

"I grow old, I grow old, I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled."
psycho_happy_kitten
« Reply #10435 on: January 08, 2010 07:57:29 PM »

Well, I'm on a bit of a tight budget right now, but I really want to make a pair that look like my boyfriend and me for Valentine's day. I have fabric and stuffing and yarn, but I don't have eyes or joints or any of the fancy stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AlwaysInspired

Craft Swap Super Hero

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10436 on: January 08, 2010 08:04:21 PM »

Embroidered or painted eyes work well. You can also use regular buttons to joint on the outside of the doll, or get some buttons with a shank and do them inside just like the directions. You can often find buttons with shanks on old clothes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Seraphina_de_Sangre
The Daredevil Sky Pirate

Down to a 12 and shedding more lbs. everyday!

View Profile
« Reply #10437 on: January 08, 2010 08:09:03 PM »

AlwaysInspired- you took the words right out of my mouth. I had also theorized a long time ago that you may be able to create a faux shank out of wire and a sturdy button. It's all still theory though.

Oh yeas, drawing the facial features on with a colored pencil can be a lot more forgiving than paint. Afterward you can refine the details with paint, once you get it to look exactly like you want.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Swaps
Multi-Themed Steampunk Swap

Wist
psycho_happy_kitten
« Reply #10438 on: January 08, 2010 08:10:58 PM »

Thanks!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

psycho_happy_kitten
« Reply #10439 on: January 10, 2010 03:17:08 PM »

I finished my first poppet today.  Smiley It took all day of work (from about 11 am till evening, off and on). She was a test run so that I wouldn't mess up too much on the couple I'm doing for my boyfriend. The only thing I'm really not happy about with her is her eyes. I used completely round beads because I didn't have half circle shank buttons that matched or would look good. I guess it adds to her 'trollness', as my mom has dubbed her a troll. Some of the stitches in her neck are showing, because I messed up and completely sewed and stuffed the head and had the body done, and then realized I had to cut open her neck and stick the neck stub thing into her head. All's well and good though. On to the pictures!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 1042 1043 [1044] 1045 1046 ... 1280 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Let's Monkey Around!
Meatless Monday: Lemon Cornmeal Waffles
Whooops!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...