A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,716
Currently Running With Scissors:
637 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 1030 1031 [1032] 1033 1034 ... 1317
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Ongoing Poppet and Punkin-Along  (Read 1345453 times)
Tags for this thread: poppet  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ClonedBravo
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

My 3 guys are gonna be joined by a baby in March!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #10310 on: September 16, 2009 08:03:26 PM »

Don't be embarressed! Took me a month to remember how to change my avatar
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I miss you Gramma! Jo Saunders, 5/20/1931- 10/11/2012

I've wisted stuff!!  http://www.wists.com/clonedbravo
Just like the Gypsy woman said!
Check out my ETSY, please! http://www.etsy.com/people/prancingdragon
Graciechan
« Reply #10311 on: September 20, 2009 04:46:52 AM »

Hi people! I haven't poppeted for a while *blush* but I feel like doing some toy making right now... I am with Luvlycritter in that I want to make some kind of jointed doll...not like a BJD perhaps but with a cute kawaii pouty kind of face. It's the jointing and getting the big kawaii eyes that beats me so far! I kind of want more 3d eyes, not painted ones or iron on transfers, so I'll just keep thinking I guess... Nice to catch up on the poppeters though! x
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3
Riechan
« Reply #10312 on: September 20, 2009 05:39:19 AM »

I ordered 10 pair of eyelashes on ebay (10 for 3$ including shipping + insurance)
Hope they arrive soon ^^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog
My Shop @ fb
Junque journal Along!
50 Projects in 2014!
Anyone interested in a postcard swap? I have too many... PM me! ^^
ghilie
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Good Cookie Designs

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10313 on: September 20, 2009 07:07:27 AM »

Hi people! I haven't poppeted for a while *blush* but I feel like doing some toy making right now... I am with Luvlycritter in that I want to make some kind of jointed doll...not like a BJD perhaps but with a cute kawaii pouty kind of face. It's the jointing and getting the big kawaii eyes that beats me so far! I kind of want more 3d eyes, not painted ones or iron on transfers, so I'll just keep thinking I guess... Nice to catch up on the poppeters though! x

Well, you could use the poppet head as a starting off point, and put really big 20mm eyes on.  Then build up the cheek and forehead area with some batting or little stuffed bags, cut off a cotton swab for the nose, then make a "skin", a piece of really stretchy material that would go over the whole shebang.  Cut eyeholes -you'd really have to work on what would work for eyelids and stuff, i'm not sure...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit http://ghilie.wordpress.com/ for the poppet pattern.

"I grow old, I grow old, I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled."
Graciechan
« Reply #10314 on: September 20, 2009 07:32:58 AM »

Well, you could use the poppet head as a starting off point, and put really big 20mm eyes on.  Then build up the cheek and forehead area with some batting or little stuffed bags, cut off a cotton swab for the nose, then make a "skin", a piece of really stretchy material that would go over the whole shebang.  Cut eyeholes -you'd really have to work on what would work for eyelids and stuff, i'm not sure...

You are too awesome Ghilie! That is better than every other idea I've had so far! Obviously I'd need to experiment, but thank you SO much! I sometimes find needle sculpting looks a little creepy too, so that gets rid of that problem =D *rushes off to experiment* And perhaps I could get some manga-y anime type eyes, with a more human look to them... anyone know where I could find something like that? Thanks again so much Ghilie!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009 07:37:54 AM by Graciechan » THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10315 on: September 20, 2009 10:26:31 AM »

don't some of the store bought toys have big roundish plastic anime eyes? If so then someone makes them!
If not my next try would be polymer clay. You could make the shape you want and then bake it and glue it on to the dolls face. That way you could round it out and add eyelids and stuff after the fact in the same way as you would on a poppet if you wanted.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sugarglass
currently trying to change me

Join the dark side; we have cookies!

View Profile
« Reply #10316 on: September 20, 2009 04:57:56 PM »

as previously stated by eliea polymer clay would work.. i actually had a plan for an anime poppet, but like most of my sewing ideas it stayed a plan.. not a doll
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my wists
i'm not the same anymore, and frankly, i'm beginning to hate myself
beth8144
It is just so stinkin' addictive!

CRAFTING KEEPS ME FROM GOING CRAZY!!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10317 on: September 20, 2009 09:45:42 PM »

Oh kay so my mom came over and picked up one of my poppets and asked my daughter if she could take one home with her. My 2 1/2 yr old daughter replied "No mommy's toys."
And that is when it occurred to me that she thinks they are my toys and that is why she doesn't play with them. She had tried before while I was making them and I always ask for them back to keep working on them.  And that is why she thinks they are mine and she wont play with them.
So Friday my mom and I took my daughter and my niece on a shopping trip with us so I let them both choose a poppet to take with us and play with for the day. My daughter chose the first poppet I ever made and carried her around all day. Well that must have been all the encouragement she needed to see that they are hers too because she has not stopped playing with them yet. As a matter of fact last night I picked up the 2 they had out and put them up on the shelf and this morning she got a stool and got her poppet down and this evening she has all 8 that were on the shelf lined up on the floor playing with them all. Needless to say I am ecstatic. Just wanted to share.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009 09:46:37 PM by beth8144 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

So many ideas so little time. Will I ever get them all done?
http://wists.com/beth8144
http://pinterest.com/beth8144/
tendstowardschaos
'Impossible is a word only to be found in the dictionary of fools.' - N. Bonaparte

Motivated by the desire to achieve.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10318 on: September 21, 2009 05:33:45 AM »

Oh kay so my mom came over and picked up one of my poppets and asked my daughter if she could take one home with her. My 2 1/2 yr old daughter replied "No mommy's toys."
And that is when it occurred to me that she thinks they are my toys and that is why she doesn't play with them. She had tried before while I was making them and I always ask for them back to keep working on them.  And that is why she thinks they are mine and she wont play with them.
So Friday my mom and I took my daughter and my niece on a shopping trip with us so I let them both choose a poppet to take with us and play with for the day. My daughter chose the first poppet I ever made and carried her around all day. Well that must have been all the encouragement she needed to see that they are hers too because she has not stopped playing with them yet. As a matter of fact last night I picked up the 2 they had out and put them up on the shelf and this morning she got a stool and got her poppet down and this evening she has all 8 that were on the shelf lined up on the floor playing with them all. Needless to say I am ecstatic. Just wanted to share.
Oh, that is just so sweet! What a precious little girl, and so thoughtful. I'm glad to hear that all your poppets are well-loved!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10319 on: September 21, 2009 06:30:19 AM »

Ooh, I LOVE that story! How wonderful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 1030 1031 [1032] 1033 1034 ... 1317 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Final Touches for the Tiger Face
Using a Pencil Sketch of the Tiger Face
How to Apply Base Coat for Tiger Face Makeup
Tools for Creating a Tiger Face
How to Apply Molding Wax for Constume Makeup
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...