A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,026
Currently Running With Scissors:
518 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 1029 1030 [1031] 1032 1033 ... 1316
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Ongoing Poppet and Punkin-Along  (Read 1331644 times)
Tags for this thread: poppet  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sugarglass
currently trying to change me

Join the dark side; we have cookies!

View Profile
« Reply #10300 on: September 15, 2009 04:50:38 PM »

if you took a square of it it stretches about this much one way- and this much another way------ on each side...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my wists
i'm not the same anymore, and frankly, i'm beginning to hate myself
AlwaysInspired

Craft Swap Super Hero

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10301 on: September 15, 2009 04:57:06 PM »

if you took a square of it it stretches about this much one way- and this much another way------ on each side...

I would try clipping the curves or using a pinking shears on the inside seams. That usually helps them lay nice and flat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sugarglass

View Profile
« Reply #10302 on: September 15, 2009 05:08:58 PM »

it has no inside seams i handsewed it.

i have these sweatpants that would make the most awesome poppet- but i still wear them

like my new avvy?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my wists
lovesclutter
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Nothing is safe in its native form.

« Reply #10303 on: September 15, 2009 05:14:55 PM »

Oh, lovesclutter- her eyes and dress are lovely together!

Thank you gals, and she looks great with her new owner. Can't wait to find out her name. That girl was so sweet to craft for.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
AlwaysInspired

Craft Swap Super Hero

« Reply #10304 on: September 15, 2009 06:45:40 PM »

i have these sweatpants that would make the most awesome poppet- but i still wear them

like my new avvy?
The handsewing may be why the fabric bunched then. Sorry!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

« Reply #10305 on: September 15, 2009 06:48:58 PM »

like my new avvy?
It will still have some sort of seams or the fabric wouldn't meet and the stuffing will fall out. If you sewed it by hand it could be the stitches. How big are they? If they are larger try makeing another row of stitches in between the current ones and see if that helps. If not try the following method:
If you have any way of getting some iron on interfacing I think that would solve the problem of the stretch and allow you pack the stuffing in proper. If you can't  buy some try putting in your sig that you are looking for it. someone on craftster almost always has what I'm looking for when I do that. Either for trade, or on a good sale etc. Smiley
It sounds to me like the problem is the stretch goes the same way the seam on the face does. And that's causing it to pucker when you stuff. You stuff it stretches.
Try the above or try taking the stuffing out and using a different one. If you can't use something else to stuff it try fluffing the stuffing up. Pull it apart and stretch it out then put it back in carefully so it doesn't clump.
Most times it's either stuffing or fabric clumping or stretching too much.
hope one of those works for you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sugarglass

View Profile
« Reply #10306 on: September 15, 2009 07:35:00 PM »

like my new avvy?
It will still have some sort of seams or the fabric wouldn't meet and the stuffing will fall out. If you sewed it by hand it could be the stitches. How big are they? If they are larger try makeing another row of stitches in between the current ones and see if that helps. If not try the following method:
If you have any way of getting some iron on interfacing I think that would solve the problem of the stretch and allow you pack the stuffing in proper. If you can't  buy some try putting in your sig that you are looking for it. someone on craftster almost always has what I'm looking for when I do that. Either for trade, or on a good sale etc. Smiley
It sounds to me like the problem is the stretch goes the same way the seam on the face does. And that's causing it to pucker when you stuff. You stuff it stretches.
Try the above or try taking the stuffing out and using a different one. If you can't use something else to stuff it try fluffing the stuffing up. Pull it apart and stretch it out then put it back in carefully so it doesn't clump.
hope one of those works for you! 4
i really think its the fabric.. i tried it with a rectangle sewing and it puckered too.. the seam allwence goes this way:I and the fabric - so no... and alwaysinspired i sewied tiny with all things kept straight so i guess its the evil fabric.. but what to do with it...
i'll see maybe it machine sews up ok and will make a miny bear or something.. Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my wists
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

« Reply #10307 on: September 16, 2009 07:51:59 AM »

like my new avvy?
hope one of those works for you! 4
i really think its the fabric.. i tried it with a rectangle sewing and it puckered too.. the seam allwence goes this way:I and the fabric - so no... and alwaysinspired i sewied tiny with all things kept straight so i guess its the evil fabric.. but what to do with it...
i'll see maybe it machine sews up ok and will make a miny bear or something.. Cry
Yep that sounds like a fabric issue. Like it's trying to stretch too much. Interfacing is about the only thing I can think of that will fix it then. it looks a bit thin too and that could be some of the problem but then I know it's hard to tell from pictures.
sometimes the machine sewing makes the difference. not sure why since if you sew tiny enough by hand it's practically the same but sometimes the fabric just seems to get along better with the sewing machine. lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #10308 on: September 16, 2009 06:53:05 PM »

soo.... yeah
is your page order backwards too?

Go to My Craftster > My Profile > Look and Layout Preferences -- "uncheck Show most recent posts at the top."
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.[/center]
sugarglass

View Profile
« Reply #10309 on: September 16, 2009 06:57:30 PM »

oh shoot! and i sent an email to the craftster thing.. i was playing with that and thought it meant that on the boards it was like that thanks! so if you see and email from me please ignore it!!!!!

i am so embarressed now.. Undecided Undecided Undecided Undecided Undecided Undecided Undecided Undecided Undecided Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my wists
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 1029 1030 [1031] 1032 1033 ... 1316 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Death Valley, Badwater Photography Tips
How to Pose Your Subjects in a Picture
How to Compose a Great Photograph
How to Use Lighting to Take Great Photos
How to Photograph Stamping Projects
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...