A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,074
Currently Running With Scissors:
638 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New at sewing!  (Read 482 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Radiate_the_light
« on: October 31, 2007 12:54:15 PM »

I have no idea what to make that is a VERY simple pattern does anyone have suggestions? Im quite new at sewing and im trying to learn as i go. Iv made a pillowcase which turned out decent but i want to try something different it does not matter what as long as its easy for a 16 yr old who has sewed only twice in her life lol. My mom sews but wont teach me (she says oooo i cant sew that good but its better than me i had to get my dad to explain the machine to me ha) Let me know guys thank you thank you! I really got inspired by a girl on here who jus does such amazing stuff (to me its pretty durn amazing) her link is

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=60353

i really like how people can turn something horrible likea shirt 4 sizes bigger into something really nice, the whole reconstructing thing.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007 02:27:46 PM »

Skirts are what I attempted after pillowcases.  In the Clothing-Completed Projects-Tutorials list there are several easy walk-throughs for panel skirts and circle skirts.  Super easy, and very satisfying to complete.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
randall321
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007 02:55:43 PM »

A skirt was I think somewhere in my first five projects. I'd reccomend taking a sewing class, at least one. So you can get the basics down.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Radiate_the_light
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007 07:20:34 PM »

Skirts are what I attempted after pillowcases.  In the Clothing-Completed Projects-Tutorials list there are several easy walk-throughs for panel skirts and circle skirts.  Super easy, and very satisfying to complete.

Thanks ill have to check that out!  I really appreciate the help everyone.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
randall321
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007 11:27:03 PM »

Defintley go to whatthecraft.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007 02:31:30 PM »

Having dad help isn't that silly, my dad taught me a lot about sewing by teaching me about my machine. My dad is pretty decent at sewing himself, but he does guy stuff like car tops & tent bags.

Skirts are great.
From there I'd move on to a sundress or two, flowy less fitted ones are good.
Then something with a zipper.
Then something with buttons & button holes.
Then you can get bold & do something fitted, whether it be a blouse or a dress.

Then try strech material. Strechy stuff is a whole 'nother ball of wax. Some love it & take to like a duck to water. Some struggle & fight with it forever (like me).

I reccomend trying strech stuff early just because some people take to it so easily, heck some start on that & hate non-strech fabrics. It's mostly determined by how you, the individual, learn things.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cosmopolitan4
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007 04:36:22 PM »

hey!
yeah thats like me, im 16 too and until i took Fashion class last year i had never even known what a sewing machine looked like really ! ahah, ive only sewn one big project in my life and it was a shirt, and i got a 90% on it, sewings not that complicated, and that project was pretty hard. I suggest making a makeup bag or something! Smiley At your local fabric store there are alot of "easy" patterns that you can make many things, go check em out !!
have fun!
im obsessed with sewing now, its all i think about bahah
 Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You could turn off the sun, but i'm still gonna shine Smiley
janet_baker76@hotmail.com
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2007 01:29:02 PM »

You'll love sewing! I use software to design patterns now, but I'm pretty new, too. My first project was a Mexican skirt and I still make them because they're easy and so fun and comfy to wear. It's just three rectangles and all straight sewing.  I'm 5' 7" and I make my tiers 24" the first tier, and 31.5 the second and third tier. The skirt hits me a couple of inches below the knee. Notice that's in inches. Then, for the width, I make the first one 120 cm, the second 190 cm, and the third 260 cm. Notice that's in centimeters, not inches. I use inches and centimeters because I live in Mexico and am always mixed up!

You'd have to make the rectangles for your own body, but you can use the same proportions. For example, the 120 cm is about five inches larger than my own hips. Then the second tier is 70 cm larger than the first, and the third 70 cm larger than the second.  You gather each tier onto the one above, by the way. I use elastic thread for the waistline, turn under an inch or sew and sew around several times. You put the elastic thread in the bobbin. Make your mom show you this. The reason I use elastic thread instead of elastic is it's comfier. Sometimes I pull the skirt down a little, a little hiphugster, which is easy with this kind of skirt, and then it becomes a belly dance skirt instead of a Mexican skirt. You can use gauze with bling bling, or any fabric that catches your eye. Wear it with a tee shirt or sweater or blouse.

If you can't take a class, borrow from the library or buy a good sewing book and put it by your bed and read a little every night.

Good luck! Sewing will make you smarter.

Jan
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Three Tips For Oily Summer Skin
How to Take Your Makeup Off
3D-Printed Makeup Is Ready To Transform Your Beauty Routine
The Latest Eye Makeup and Eyewear Trends
Spray Tanning Stars
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...