A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,452
Currently Running With Scissors:
365 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HELP! I suck at crocheting rounds  (Read 653 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bakedkeyk
« on: October 31, 2007 10:41:35 AM »

I just started crocheting and thought i'd start off making a cupcake.  i'm using a pattern i think i found on this forum.  anyhow, i'm seeing a noticeable diagnal line forming. what am i doing wrong?  please help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007 10:47:25 AM »

this is actually typical of rounds. Unless you join each round with a slip stitch and then chain one and continue the pattern.
The difference is you wind up with a "seem" if you do it that way where as the way you are probably doing it now the stitches just "walk" in a spiral. Just mark your beginning of the round and you should be fine. Smiley 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Infinite Annie
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007 01:27:30 PM »

When I work in the round and it says to "join with slip stitch" and chain a certain number and then continue working that row with the regular stitches I get a noticeable seam.

When I do amigurumi-style crochet, where there is no slip stitch join and chain to start the next row, I don't get a seam.

Working in the round amigurumi-style, after the last stitch in a row I  go directly to working a regular sc, (or whatever that row is worked in), in the first stitch of the next row.  By completely skipping the slip stitch and chain, I get no seam.

Like Eliea says be sure to mark the first stitch of each row as you make it, and keep moving that stitch marker up every time you start a new row, (A bobby pin slips on and off easy and totally stays in place).  Otherwise it is impossible to keep track of which stitch is the first in the row you are working and you will easily lose count as there is no obvious seam or start to any of the rows.

Does that make any sense?  I hope so.  Good luck on your cupcake!  I hope to see it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sheep_need_sweaters2

Dancin' with my Gnomies

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007 06:19:59 PM »

I would definitely use a stitch marker, a faint line is pretty common, depending on what you're making when all's said and done you probably won't notice it
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Arthur: Ford?
Ford: Yeah?
Arthur: I think I'm a sofa...
Ford: [pause] I know how you feel...
bakedkeyk
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007 04:24:13 PM »

thanks everyone for responding!  that was actually my first post and am so happy to see a real community of people helping each other.   Smiley

i attempted the amigumuri -style crochet and that worked better.  the cupcake is finished and it looks lopsided.  Tongue  (it also doesn't help that i used toilet paper to stuff it because i was to anxious to complete it before buying pellets or appropriate stuffing,  Grin)

i've started a turtlle using no slip stitch and so far it looks good.  i'm also planning to experiment with no slip stitch but still chain up for height....i don't know if it will work.  anyhow, thank you all!  i'm using a marker and it helps out A LOT!  thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SilentMynerva
Crafty Goddess!

The Silent Roman Goddess of Wisdom!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007 04:27:50 PM »

I know how you feel.... I used yarn my first time to stuff my hippo.... my dad calls it a platahippo... says it looks more like a platapus.... took me a while before I could figure out how to do the rounds... I used to get lost....all the time....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

itscribe
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007 09:12:11 AM »

Keep in mind, whoever you give/sell your creations to will not be able to see the rows as well as you do while you are making the piece. Also if they don't crochet, they won't know what to look for anyway.

TP as stuffing, can't say as I've ever went there.

Alternatives to fiber fill - yarn, scraps of fabric, old pantyhose, cotton balls from your bathroom, and stuffing from a stuffed animal or pillow that should be tossed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Felt with Crochet
How to Crochet a Christmas Scarf
How to Crochet Fab Faux Scarf
How to Crochet Candle Lace Covers
How to Crochet Beanie Hat
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...