A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 305,900
Currently Running With Scissors:
440 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Anyone cut their own hair?  (Read 4994 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

off_the_record
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2008 07:24:31 PM »

For most of my life I  had those blunt-strait across bangs, with super-long hair. It was down to my waist for quite awhile. But I started trimming my bangs and the rest of my hair myself when I went to college (my aunt used to do it for me). Then I was so sick of my bangs I grew them out my sophomore year of college (riiight about the time the pin-up look was coming around and it was actually cool - guh.) Anyways, now that I'm 23 I decided It's about time for something different than a all-one-length-past-the-shoulders cut. I layered my hair myself with a little trick I discovered after the 'put your hair in a ponytail and make a clean cut' deal didn't work out quite so well. Anyways, I'll have to post a couple pictures tomorrow to show you how I did it.

I just feel so out of place in a beauty salon...the few times I've gone, they NEVER listen.  Angry

But if all else fails-beauty colleges are a nice way to go. The one in my town gives haircuts for less than $5
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I reject the basic assumptions of civilization, especially the importance of material possessions." -Chuck Palahniuk

http://offthrecord.blogspot.com/
www.offtherecord.etsy.com
XMuffinsx
Mandy the Muffin Queen

Amor Imcit Omnia- Love Conquers Everything.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2008 08:47:47 AM »

Agh, I feel the pain of not having hairdressers listen. I had hair that was almost down to my butt before I went and got it cut. I asked for it to be layered and shorter because the long hair just weighed me down being my hair is fine and it needed a little oomph. The first time I went I loved the results. The second time I went in for a trim, she cut it even shorter than before, and added bangs so I looked like a modern Cleopatra. I hated it, and never went back.
So now, I just re-layer my own hair, and trim my own bangs. Currently I'm trying to grow my hair out to a little bit past my shoulder, and also grow the annoying bangs out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
off_the_record
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2008 12:59:27 PM »

This is how I did my face-framing layers

My hair started out below my shoulders and I just cut a little at a time to figure out what worked best. I'd advise you to do the same thing...babysteps. But I like it a lot, and no one believes I cut it myself Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I reject the basic assumptions of civilization, especially the importance of material possessions." -Chuck Palahniuk

turtlelove
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2008 03:33:21 PM »

amen on cutting your own hair....but i have to admit i have an amazing hubby who cuts mine!  i would not trust anyone else to come at my locks with scissors!  He always cuts it exactly like i was thinking in my head!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
off_the_record
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2008 08:10:09 PM »

lucky! I can only trust my husband to cut the back evenly for me  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I am woman watch me grow!

I've got a smile on my face & trees all around me

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2008 05:17:43 AM »

This is how I did my face-framing layers

My hair started out below my shoulders and I just cut a little at a time to figure out what worked best. I'd advise you to do the same thing...babysteps. But I like it a lot, and no one believes I cut it myself Smiley

Thanks for the tip, I just cut my hair for the first time, and it turned out okay, but I couldn't get the front layers right.  This will help a lot.
Oh and your hair looks awesome.  I believe you cut it yourself  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

The only PhD I earned stands for Pretty Happy Dropout! Now starting new adventures!
off_the_record
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2008 10:50:49 AM »

why yes I did. thankyouthankyou Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MagicalMar
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2008 11:58:04 AM »

I've been cutting my own hair for years, and I cut my mom's hair.  My hair is pretty much long and straight with some layers, I trim it up but I usually don't take a lot off.

You've just got to try it a couple times, little by little and see how it turns out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To Alcohol!!  The cause of and solution to all of life's problems.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
Remove Oil & Blackheads with a Sponge
The 60-Second Wash-Off Self-Tanner
Magicstripes: Your Surgery-Free Eye Lift
Foam Away the Appearance of Fine Lines
A Head-to-Toe Exfoliating Tool
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Painted Patriotic Table
Craft Challenge #114 - Pick It and Craft It!
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Paper Stars

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...