A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 298,777
Currently Running With Scissors:
393 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Anyone cut their own hair?  (Read 4032 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tipassoi
« on: October 31, 2007 08:41:34 AM »

I'm sick of spending 40 on haircuts that aren't really what I wanted in the first place. So I bought some haircutting scissors today in order to have a go myself, hopefully roping in my housemate to help with the back. Do any of you cut your own (or your loved ones') hair? Any tips? Even better, any photos of your ace-o haircuts to inspire me to take the first snip?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SuperLupus
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007 01:15:06 PM »

I have cut my own hair since a botched job when I was 13 (29now). My advice, just pay. No I kid. Sharp skissors, lots of patience, don't try layers if you have straight hair (that takes alot of practice). If you like the shape of your cut now but just need a trim up it's a good way to follow their direction. Almost like cut the dotted line... just trim an inch or so to clean it up.

Blunt bangs you'll have to trim often (like every other week). Hair grows and quite frankly even worst case scenario you can get it fixed into a cute pixie cut LOL.

So I've obviously done all the things i said not to do. Layers and blunt bangs LOL but 16 years to get comfortable doing so.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rebeccalynnis

who will love a little sparrow?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007 01:41:59 PM »

SuperLupus gave some good advice. and since she's been doing it for sixteen years, i bet you can trust her.

i, however, have only been doing it for a couple years. i go a little at a time. i'd rather have to do a couple little trims here and there instead of chopping it all of at once and ending up with a messed head. i have curly/wavy-ish hair, so it covers up my terrible layers. but when i straighten it, it's atrocious. so don't do layers if you have straight hair. i guess all the advice i have it to do little trims every once in a while, like every week or two, until you are satisfied. make sure you give a couple days between to style it different so you can see how it looks. and if you can, i highly advise to get a friend to help out with the back. just to be safe.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007 01:47:24 PM by Rebeccalynnis » THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~raeblossom.etsy.com~*~      ~*~twitter~*~      ~*~FBfanpage~*~
H A N D M A D E . E C O - F R I E N D L Y . F A S H I O N . & . A C C E S S O R I E S
jaykayare

julieroth.tumblr.com

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007 02:59:34 PM »

i've cut my hair and my friend's hair for a couple years now.
i have basically straight  hair and i cut really haphazardly and do the back by feel.
i keep the scissors angled down when cutting (layers) and cut the edges with them pointing straight up so it's not  blunt.
start smaaaall first. no big cuts right off.

that was is this summer (i've been growing it out)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miss_Wrath

Undoubtedly awesome.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007 03:11:22 PM »

A common mistake people make - cutting their hair when it's wet. Bad idea because it'll always be shorter than you thought once it dries.
Spritz it lightly with water if you need to, but no saturating the hair!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Without you, dear muse,
I cannot.
I will not.

I am not.
SuperLupus
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007 04:00:00 PM »

A common mistake people make - cutting their hair when it's wet. Bad idea because it'll always be shorter than you thought once it dries.
Spritz it lightly with water if you need to, but no saturating the hair!

Good point! I cut mine barely barely damp and spritz if needed. Also benefit of cutting semidry- You might have a cowlick you never noticed and the direction of hair when it's dry could be a smidge different. So sopping wet the line may look good but when it dries it's a different story.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Silvana

Leaving the world more beautiful than I found it.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007 04:58:14 PM »

I have been cutting my own hair, and my family and friends hair [boys and girls] since I was 12.

I posted this in the show off your hair thread in health and beauty, but I will put it here.

to this

the next day I cut it like this

since then it has gotten shorter slowly.

these are all in the last year - 22
then a little pink

then shorty bangs

between these was a midnight whim red dye job. It was such a horrid color I hid indoors for three days, cried, and then redyed.

then I took out the streak and blunt cut it

this is my most recent cut, did it about two weeks ago.
my signature streak is back and it is shorter than ever

One thing I suggest, get a book.  It will give you some basic techniques and always cut longer than you think you want. You can always trim if it is too long.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

carrieme
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2007 06:34:06 PM »

Love the shorty bangs picture!  That is a great picture of you. I have always wanted shorty bangs. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy shop   http://www.carrieme.etsy.com
Wist:  http://www.wists.com/verycarrie
Visit my blog http://sewverycarrie.blogspot.com
pm me if you want to swap!
funtobewith
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2007 09:19:33 PM »

One infomercial product that really works... FLOWBEE... and its almost foolproof for cutting your own hair... but y'all are pretty brave! Hair grows back! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Leslie <><
raem16
Professional Jesus on a Biscuit, Part-Time Fashionista

~*^RaEmSiXtEeN^*~

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2007 08:39:54 PM »

http://www.hairfinder.com/howto/how_to_cut_hair.htm

This is an amazing site! It's a little messy, but as long as you go back to this particular page [a listing of things that will help you in the effort to DIY haircuts for friends/family]. I searched all over to find this, it actually has info on the basics of haircutting--the angle of scissors, the angle to hold the hair at to get the desired layering effects. I'm cutting my friends hair in a couple weeks in a really complex layering style--i used the Haircut planning sheets to know which layers get cut a certain way. I'm rambling at this point, but--read "anatomy of head" "hair sectioning" and "haircutting angles and elevation" before reading the rest, otherwise it could be very hard to understand what they're talking about in the other articles. Hope it helps!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...~~~***~~~...
bole chudiyan
***~~~...~~~***
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe Production Studio - Shortcuts for Creating Additional Lower Thirds
Adobe Production Studio - Adding Text to a Lower Third
Adobe Production Studio - Designing Elements with Photoshop
Adobe Production Studio - Exporting After Effects Files into Photoshop
Adobe Production Studio - Creating a Solid Background
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...