A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,806
Currently Running With Scissors:
619 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Weight Control Winter Wear (Image Heavy...No Pun Intended)  (Read 5169 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BellaKarma

What Goes Around-Comes Around-So Make it Beautiful

View Profile
« on: October 31, 2007 05:40:56 AM »

I figured out a while back how I went from a size 5 to a size 7.

I wore sweatpants all winter long. Loose, stretchy, elastic band sweatpants.

And ate.

'Cause it was cold.

This winter I am going to wear my jeans every day. This way I will know if I am putting weight on.

And I want my jeans to be pretty since I am going to have to look at 'em every day.

The Barbie Peace & Love & Butterflies Graffiti Jeans above are my doodle pants. It's the pair I use to test out colors, techniques, and stamps.

I've been wanting to design a pair of jeans that have an Indian/Bollywood feel to 'em; like a design on the fabulous clothes at Kaneesha.com. I still need to go out looking for more stencils. A few weeks ago I grabbed a stencil Mom was about to toss that had some elements I was searching for; the other parts are a little too 1970's folk art for my taste.

Last night I decided to give it another try; this time taping off the part of the stencil I did not want to use. I also deliberately covered up the little hanging notch, 'cause I am sort of stupid.

And by all means: tape down the entire stencil if you try this. You may think you can get through the whole stencil process without being interrupted; however, someone (Mom) will come to your bedroom exclaiming that weird noises and voices are coming from the side of the house, and there is a helicopter circling a few streets over. You will then need to get up, insist that it's safe for you to go outdoors to investigate 'cause it's only 7:38 in the evening - and argue if it's not safe to go outdoors in Corona del Mar at 7:38 in the evening, then it's time to move.

I used NEOPAQUE by Jacquard in 588 Black. You do NOT need and SHOULD NOT use too much! Pour a little inside the lid and dab lightly with a make-up sponge until you do not see the color of the jeans - then STOP. It takes practice to learn just how much is too much, 'cause the paint does have a tendency to spread if you aren't paying attention.

If you look at the top left-hand side, you can see I was not paying attention. I must have been distracted worrying about the weird noises and voices coming from my neighbors. With the exception of the spread, I liked what I saw! Now I had to glam it up!

It's totally difficult to tell in this photo how using Tulip SOFT Sterling Glitter fabric paint and the end of a paintbrush gives the look of shiny diamonds! I LOVE this paint! I LOVE the effect! I use the same technique on paper too! I'll try to remember to take a picture of it's shining glory in the sunlight hours.

If these were a real pair of jeans, and not another practice pair, I would've just mirrored the stencil on the other leg and just added a black shirt and be off!

But I had some more paint to play with.

I wasn't too thrilled with the color combination I used; I had something different in mind before I was distracted for reals. The LUMIERE Metallic Paints by Jacquard are AWESOME! However, the less expensive Tulip and DecoArt So Soft fabric paints are my FAVORITES.

Overall, I feel quite satisfied with this second attempt. Now I need to go to the secondhand store for jeans and find some more stencils so I can stockpile for the winter months.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007 12:33:41 PM by BellaKarma » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stix on the Beach: Tales From The Happiest Hooker!
www.bellakarma.com
kannd86
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007 01:58:43 PM »

I like 'em!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BellaKarma

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007 02:14:55 PM »

I like 'em!

Thanks kannd86!
This was just a trial run, but I see the potential the stencil has for the effect I am trying to achieve. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.bellakarma.com
geek_goddess
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007 04:47:28 PM »

I love the way they turned out. I like how the design is at the bottom so even though bright colors are included you can still match any kind of top/sweater with them. Nice Job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bluebirdie
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007 12:31:04 PM »

I love the final one. But to be honest, I like the doodle pant too... I would totally wear that to everywhere.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
StefanieNIN
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007 02:29:15 PM »

Love 'em, gorgeous! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BellaKarma

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007 04:56:56 PM »

geek_goddess: I like the mix of the colors too! If they matched on each leg, it would be too predictable. And you're right on about being able to wear any kind of top/sweater. Thank you! Smiley

bluebirdie: Thanks! Truth is, I usually do end up wearing my doodle pants when I run outtah room on 'em! In fact, one pair I wore was requested by an editor of a well-known fashion-as-art magazine. I won't be wearing this particular pair though; I have taken the scissors to 'em to try something new.  Cheesy

StephanieNIN: Thank you! I usually don't design 'em so simple; however, I am a big believer that sometimes more is just more. But this design is a very quick and easy way to glam up some jeans on short notice! Perfect with a clingy black top and heels!  Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.bellakarma.com
Melcabral
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007 03:53:42 PM »

This is my first post.  I am dying to recon something but I was stupid and my sewing machine is in the steamer trunk we are using to elevate the Christmas tree!!!!   Roll Eyes  Anyway, maybe I'll have posted enough times to put pictures into my post of my first recon project.  Wink

I LOVE these...and the doodle pants, too.  I need to go to the store and get some pretty, sparkly fabric paints!
OH, and I think wearing jeans all winter is a great idea to help keep the weight off, too!  I'm going to try that...we could be the Sisterhood of the Traveling Fat Pants!!! LOL  (not to insinuate that you're fat by any means...I'm a 13/14 so I could fit two of you in my pants lol)

--Mel
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheLitlOne

Yeah, I'm Awesome.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007 11:14:30 PM »

These are really pretty,and I love the idea of wearing something to help notice weight gain, wish I'd thought of it about.. oh 10 lbs ago -_-
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Symmentha
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2007 11:58:44 PM »

Lol, I use my jeans to see if Ive gained weight too!.... except they dont fit anymore. This is a great idea, and they are very well done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw a Bobo Hah
Portrait Retouching in Photoshop Camera Raw
How to Draw Bloo
Pushing the Limits of Wallpaper Art
How to Draw a Barbie Doll
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...