A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,540
Currently Running With Scissors:
703 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: lacy shawls?  (Read 528 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mickele
Exclamation POINT!

Whoosh.

View Profile
« on: October 30, 2007 09:45:43 PM »

I want to crochet a lacy shawl for  my mom for Christmas, and I like Muir from Knitty, but I'm nowhere near that skill level. In my crochet, though, I'm pretty confident.

So are there any nice lacy shawls out there for lace weight yarn in crochet? I've looked and it's a whole lotta mesh.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog where I amuse myself.
leppardess

my cats walk all over me...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007 07:20:17 AM »

Personally, I've never worked with lace weight yarn before (a lot of thread but never lace weight yarn...). There are some nice open stitch patterns out there for DK or worsted weight yarns.

I've done a few Seraphina shawls that are fairly open and lacy...

http://www.angelfire.com/journal2/donisfuff/croshawl.html

I've also started the Long And Open Shawl...

http://www.knitting-crochet.com/crochet/lonopesha.html

Both could probably be adapted to lighter weight yarns. There's a CAL for the Long And Open in the CAL forum with one post (can't remember who posted it..) about help in making it wider or more narrow.

I hope that helped Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jessvict
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007 07:28:19 AM »

checkout the book Amazing Crochet lace by doris chan, she has alot of beautiful, modern lace crochet projects. maybe its in your library.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
umheried
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007 02:32:09 PM »

I am very big into lacy shawls myself.  I have made the long & open shawl with light weight yarn (one was yarn I got at Value Village & one was a mohair/acrylic mix).  I tried to make it once with heavier yarn & just didn't like it any where near as much as the light weight ones (I actually scrapped it).  I have also made the Irish Mist scarf from Doris Chan's book with a mohair mix yarn.  I agree that I totally love this book & there are other shawls, plus there is also a poncho that is gorgeous.  Overall, I really love the long & open shawl & it is very pretty & easy.  Also, it is a really huge wrap, so it is a bit more versatile.  Definitely check out the book, even if you go with the long & open shawl.  I will post photos of my FOs as soon as I can.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

itscribe
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007 02:56:29 PM »

I made a crochet shawl for mom, who knows how to crochet but no longer does it. She immediately said, "Ooh pretty, what stitch is that?"

Just a plain stitch I told her nothing special. Then I showed her the jumbo crochet hook I used and she just laughed. Still not sure she entirely believed me, but that's all I did.

I made a simple long rectangle using double crochet in a bunch of long runs. It looks great and was super easy and quick to make.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Giraffe Bath & Body Shaving Wand: Does It Work?
October 2013 Beauty Products to Try
How to Apply Bronzer, Blush and Luminizer
Halloween Inspiration from Celebrities Who Dare to Go Bold
Nicki Minaj Minajesty Commercial
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...