As a rookie to quilting, I decided to take the plunge and use the orange color of my IKEA couch as a source of inspiration.
As the weather is dropping, thought I could use a throw while watching TV. So, decided to finally use 4 cushion covers I bought at a thrift as a backing. Thought the orange ring in the bullseye matched my couch perfectly.
Then, proceeded to rip out all seams of the covers and sew them as panels.
Bought twin-sized batting (although the panels were considerably shorter and thinner than the standard-sized quilt), sewed it to the cushion cover panels, and then bought some fabric for the top.
Then, started to quilt through all layers by following the screen-printed bias pattern on the front fabric. Makes it easy to follow when you're new at this and don't have to worry about being completely off.
After being pleased with the initial results, thought it could use some binding. Didn't like the standard blanket satin binding and did not have the patience to make my own so I bought 6.5 yards of 2" ribbon.
Made the rookie mistake of completely panicking at the end of trying to miter the last corner and ended up cutting the ribbon short right at the corner. Luckily I had just enough to make a patch.
Quilted front on couch:
Both sides seen together:
Future notes to self:
1. have more patience in learning how to miter corners and sewing on binding for blankets;
2. contrast stitching is not for the faint of heart. (Excuse: I did not want to invest in finding coordinating thread for the blanket binding because I have too much thread already. Similar colored-thread would have been less noticeable when sewing close to edge of ribbon).
3. Learn to live with crafting mistakes.
Despite the trial and error, the project was more or less quick (1 weekend plus an evening) and I'm happy with it despite the binding patch.