A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,017
Currently Running With Scissors:
524 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Window Painting Tips needed!  (Read 550 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

punkerposey
« on: October 30, 2007 07:29:45 PM »

Hello All,

I just moved into an apartment that has two vinyl entry doors that have very large windows. I don't want to damage the property by drilling into the door to put up curtains, but my husband and I would certainly like privacy from the eyes of our neighbors.

I want to create a *temporary* stained glass effect on these windows to remedy this problem, but I don't know how to go about it. Does anyone have experience painting windows with temporary glass paint (is there such a thing?) or using a tissue paper and laundry starch to create a design?

If you have any other suggestions, I am very open to new ideas.
Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
floridaflamingo
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007 12:09:13 PM »

If you need temporary stay away from Gallery Glass and the 'lead' stick on strips. I did two small windows that were in my doors and tho' it chips and peels it is very difficult to remove. Even with a putty knife or razor blade. In the end I used spray on adhesive and a lace fabric remnant. It was fast, even, and came down easily.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
punkerposey
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007 09:17:27 AM »

Thank you for your input.
I would love to see a photograph of your lace-windows if you have any to share!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
homebunnyj
Maker of interesting things

Asheville rocks!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007 07:20:58 PM »

Unless you're bent on doing your own design, in the window-covering department at Lowe's they have privacy film in stained-glass and various frosted designs. It's pretty, but costs between 16 and 32 dollars. If you're on a budget, like I am, go to a big hardware store (I went to Citizen's Hardware) and look for a brand called d-c-fix. It has two different stained-glass patterns, as well as other designs, to go on glass. It costs more like six dollars a roll. I used their blue-green floral stained-glass pattern on my bathroom window and my front door, and Contact Frosty on my back door. I don't like hanging curtains because we have dust allergies and I hate frequently laundering curtains.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

femmeraven
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007 08:22:34 AM »

If the windows get a lot of direct sunlight I wouldn't suggest the tissue paper.  I tried it myself and the tissue paper faded pretty quickly. 

About a month ago I bought colored cellophane and used spray starch to adhere it, and it works pretty good, although the colors are more pastel-like than I hoped.  I'm considering layering pieces on top of each other with starch in between, but I haven't tried it yet so I don't know if it will work.

There is an awesome thread about using paint to paint a design.(like Apple Barrel paints - I'm not sure what type of paint that is)   I did some test spots on my windows and left them up for several months and they still came right off when I used a small scraper and some warm soapy water.   The reason that I never actually did paint my windows is because the windows that I was wanting to cover were on a door in a 9 square pattern and I couldn't think of a design that I really liked. 

Try a search for the link, I think it was titled something like "Poor man's stained glass" or something like that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Author Stephen King on the Best Advice He Ever Got
Author Tom Brokaw on the Best Day in His Life
Lynda Obst on Hollywood and Foreign Markets
Family Celebrations with Buddy Valastro
Norman Mailer’s “Double Life” as a Writer
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Patriotic Planter
Summertime Sweetness: Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips
Fire Up the Grill: Jerk Steak

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...