A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 298,753
Currently Running With Scissors:
646 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Window Painting Tips needed!  (Read 502 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

punkerposey
« on: October 30, 2007 07:29:45 PM »

Hello All,

I just moved into an apartment that has two vinyl entry doors that have very large windows. I don't want to damage the property by drilling into the door to put up curtains, but my husband and I would certainly like privacy from the eyes of our neighbors.

I want to create a *temporary* stained glass effect on these windows to remedy this problem, but I don't know how to go about it. Does anyone have experience painting windows with temporary glass paint (is there such a thing?) or using a tissue paper and laundry starch to create a design?

If you have any other suggestions, I am very open to new ideas.
Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
floridaflamingo
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007 12:09:13 PM »

If you need temporary stay away from Gallery Glass and the 'lead' stick on strips. I did two small windows that were in my doors and tho' it chips and peels it is very difficult to remove. Even with a putty knife or razor blade. In the end I used spray on adhesive and a lace fabric remnant. It was fast, even, and came down easily.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
punkerposey
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007 09:17:27 AM »

Thank you for your input.
I would love to see a photograph of your lace-windows if you have any to share!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
homebunnyj
Maker of interesting things

Asheville rocks!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007 07:20:58 PM »

Unless you're bent on doing your own design, in the window-covering department at Lowe's they have privacy film in stained-glass and various frosted designs. It's pretty, but costs between 16 and 32 dollars. If you're on a budget, like I am, go to a big hardware store (I went to Citizen's Hardware) and look for a brand called d-c-fix. It has two different stained-glass patterns, as well as other designs, to go on glass. It costs more like six dollars a roll. I used their blue-green floral stained-glass pattern on my bathroom window and my front door, and Contact Frosty on my back door. I don't like hanging curtains because we have dust allergies and I hate frequently laundering curtains.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

femmeraven
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007 08:22:34 AM »

If the windows get a lot of direct sunlight I wouldn't suggest the tissue paper.  I tried it myself and the tissue paper faded pretty quickly. 

About a month ago I bought colored cellophane and used spray starch to adhere it, and it works pretty good, although the colors are more pastel-like than I hoped.  I'm considering layering pieces on top of each other with starch in between, but I haven't tried it yet so I don't know if it will work.

There is an awesome thread about using paint to paint a design.(like Apple Barrel paints - I'm not sure what type of paint that is)   I did some test spots on my windows and left them up for several months and they still came right off when I used a small scraper and some warm soapy water.   The reason that I never actually did paint my windows is because the windows that I was wanting to cover were on a door in a 9 square pattern and I couldn't think of a design that I really liked. 

Try a search for the link, I think it was titled something like "Poor man's stained glass" or something like that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Wake Up With a New Hairdo!
9 Products Your Hair Will Thank You For
The Selfie Brush Claims to Perfect Your Selfies
Kyan Douglas Gives One Audience Member a Surprise Haircut
Get Back to School Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...