A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,087
Currently Running With Scissors:
365 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Purple cardigan  (Read 3406 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Boffcat
« on: October 30, 2007 02:13:13 PM »

As you may have guessed from the highly original title, this FO is (wait for it) a purple cardigan. Armed with some Rowan Pure Wool Aran, an ancient calculator, and a vague idea that I wanted to make something like Noro's "Gloria" cardigan, I came up with this:

The good: I love the way the garter stitch disguises the heavy shaping at the yoke. And the wool was lovely to work with, too. Ohh, and I suppose I should mention that it fits! Always a bonus.

The bad: It ended up looking ridiculous tied at the neck, so the ribbon, which was supposed to be the focal point, is now a bit of an aimless add-on.

The ugly: um, I should probably figure out a more attractive closure than a safety pin. And don't tell anyone, but my underarm grafting left a bit to be desired...

I doubt it'll ever see the light of day again, but thanks for looking! If anyone's interested, there's a bit more on my blog.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Who would have thought - I have a blog!
burntcupcake

Just another crazy red-haired knitter.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007 02:23:33 PM »

It turned out great!  You should try a pretty clasp with a hook and eye closure in place of the safety pin, that would be lovely.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Plum puffs won't minister to a mind diseased in a world that's crumbled into pieces." -Anne Shirley
phoebefayre
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007 02:28:41 PM »

I didn't even notice the ribbon until you pointed it out. You could just lose the ribbon or leave it and wear the sweater as is. I thought the safety pin was a hook and eye closure (hint, hint, nudge, nudge, get one). I have a sweater that fastens in a similar fashion and it is possibly the most bust-flattering, love-handle-hiding thing I own. Also this color is all the rage this fall (in my closet). Looking at this pic of you, though, it doesn't look like you require figure-flattering clothes. In a nutshell, you're crazy-wear the heck out of this sweater-it's cute!

**Edit: I like your version better than the Gloria cardigan.**
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007 02:30:57 PM by phoebefayre » THIS ROCKS   Logged

That IS fresh to death.
El blog
Hope.
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007 02:30:10 PM »

This looks really lovely, the colour is fabulous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Legerdemain

knitting is dreamy....

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007 03:35:10 PM »

I don't know why you are so hard on yourself!   I *honestly* think that the cardigan turned out lovely.  Well, except for the safety pin!  Wink  I saw on here somewhere that someone had used one of those decorative BlueMoon beading clasps (you know, the bar and the ring) as a fastener and it looked lovely.  You might try that.  And I second the call just to remove the ribbon.  The sweater will be lovely on its own w/ the clasp doodad.

And as for the underarm bits?  I don't know about you, but I don't routinely flash people those, so I think you're ok.... Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Swap Shop14!

Wist

Ravelry ID: Legerdemain
Boffcat
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007 05:04:17 PM »

Aww, thank you for the nice comments; you guys are sweet! I might see if I can find a pin (or failing that a hook and eye) to redeem it. I'm a bit worried about losing the ribbon altogether, though, as I feel it needs a feminine touch to offset the bulky wool - what do you think?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

maryparadox
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007 05:12:55 PM »

I think it's beautiful! I was thinking about doing a similar yoke-neckline thing for a cardigan, any pointers?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Feliciter
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2007 05:29:51 PM »

I think it looks fantastic! Great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kniterdone
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2007 05:42:02 PM »

Very nice.  I don't see a flaw anywhere.  It fits you perfectly!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I post to offer inspiration only.  Please don't copy my artwork!  http://meetmeinthedayroom.wordpress.com
Boffcat
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2007 05:47:51 PM »

Thank you, kniterdone and Feliciter - I'd feel decidedly mean to consign the poor thing to the back of the wardrobe when people are being so positive about it!

maryparadox: I based the yoke shaping on guidelines given by Glampyre here (scroll right down to the bottom of the page to find the 'yoke' section), but worked the decreases over a shorter distance, as my neckline already seemed to be coming out quite high (basically I only knit 2" for her step 3 and 1/2" for her step 5). These decreases cause the upper neckline to curve in slightly, which I have chosen to claim is a deliberate decorative feature  Wink

Hope that helps a bit!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Art of Chinese Cooking - Food Basics Part 2 of 8
Art of Chinese Cooking - Food Basics Part 1 of 8
How to Make a Sushi Roll
How to Make Sushi
How to Make a Sushi Hand Roll
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...