A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,860
Currently Running With Scissors:
765 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Purple cardigan  (Read 3407 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Boffcat
« on: October 30, 2007 02:13:13 PM »

As you may have guessed from the highly original title, this FO is (wait for it) a purple cardigan. Armed with some Rowan Pure Wool Aran, an ancient calculator, and a vague idea that I wanted to make something like Noro's "Gloria" cardigan, I came up with this:

The good: I love the way the garter stitch disguises the heavy shaping at the yoke. And the wool was lovely to work with, too. Ohh, and I suppose I should mention that it fits! Always a bonus.

The bad: It ended up looking ridiculous tied at the neck, so the ribbon, which was supposed to be the focal point, is now a bit of an aimless add-on.

The ugly: um, I should probably figure out a more attractive closure than a safety pin. And don't tell anyone, but my underarm grafting left a bit to be desired...

I doubt it'll ever see the light of day again, but thanks for looking! If anyone's interested, there's a bit more on my blog.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Who would have thought - I have a blog!
burntcupcake

Just another crazy red-haired knitter.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007 02:23:33 PM »

It turned out great!  You should try a pretty clasp with a hook and eye closure in place of the safety pin, that would be lovely.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Plum puffs won't minister to a mind diseased in a world that's crumbled into pieces." -Anne Shirley
phoebefayre
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007 02:28:41 PM »

I didn't even notice the ribbon until you pointed it out. You could just lose the ribbon or leave it and wear the sweater as is. I thought the safety pin was a hook and eye closure (hint, hint, nudge, nudge, get one). I have a sweater that fastens in a similar fashion and it is possibly the most bust-flattering, love-handle-hiding thing I own. Also this color is all the rage this fall (in my closet). Looking at this pic of you, though, it doesn't look like you require figure-flattering clothes. In a nutshell, you're crazy-wear the heck out of this sweater-it's cute!

**Edit: I like your version better than the Gloria cardigan.**
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007 02:30:57 PM by phoebefayre » THIS ROCKS   Logged

That IS fresh to death.
El blog
Hope.
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007 02:30:10 PM »

This looks really lovely, the colour is fabulous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Legerdemain

knitting is dreamy....

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007 03:35:10 PM »

I don't know why you are so hard on yourself!   I *honestly* think that the cardigan turned out lovely.  Well, except for the safety pin!  Wink  I saw on here somewhere that someone had used one of those decorative BlueMoon beading clasps (you know, the bar and the ring) as a fastener and it looked lovely.  You might try that.  And I second the call just to remove the ribbon.  The sweater will be lovely on its own w/ the clasp doodad.

And as for the underarm bits?  I don't know about you, but I don't routinely flash people those, so I think you're ok.... Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Swap Shop14!

Wist

Ravelry ID: Legerdemain
Boffcat
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007 05:04:17 PM »

Aww, thank you for the nice comments; you guys are sweet! I might see if I can find a pin (or failing that a hook and eye) to redeem it. I'm a bit worried about losing the ribbon altogether, though, as I feel it needs a feminine touch to offset the bulky wool - what do you think?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

maryparadox
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007 05:12:55 PM »

I think it's beautiful! I was thinking about doing a similar yoke-neckline thing for a cardigan, any pointers?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Feliciter
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2007 05:29:51 PM »

I think it looks fantastic! Great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kniterdone
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2007 05:42:02 PM »

Very nice.  I don't see a flaw anywhere.  It fits you perfectly!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I post to offer inspiration only.  Please don't copy my artwork!  http://meetmeinthedayroom.wordpress.com
Boffcat
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2007 05:47:51 PM »

Thank you, kniterdone and Feliciter - I'd feel decidedly mean to consign the poor thing to the back of the wardrobe when people are being so positive about it!

maryparadox: I based the yoke shaping on guidelines given by Glampyre here (scroll right down to the bottom of the page to find the 'yoke' section), but worked the decreases over a shorter distance, as my neckline already seemed to be coming out quite high (basically I only knit 2" for her step 3 and 1/2" for her step 5). These decreases cause the upper neckline to curve in slightly, which I have chosen to claim is a deliberate decorative feature  Wink

Hope that helps a bit!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Puppy Love Chow
How to Make Homemade Blueberry and Banana Muffins
How to Make Brownie Tarts
How to Make Drunken Honey Figs with Cashew Nut Cream
Plum and Apple Cobbler Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...